A Pillar R&R

AL_Brad

Reaction score
I searched and read the threads.... maybe it's so simple I just need to do it, but - 1982 Imperial...

I need to recover both of the A Pillars in my Imperial. Once I get the headliner loose, do they just pull off? Straight back? Pull toward the center?

Thank you.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Are there screws in them? I don't know those imperials but I haven't seen ones that clip on so far back.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
If they're like the M bodies they're screwed in and there's a screw behind the dash

This is for a 2 door volare, but it gives you an idea where they hid that last screw.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363829436760?

Or it's completely different for an imperial and I'm wrong

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
it's a different car, but the 2 door LeBaron/Diplomats and maybe Volare/Aspens require the dash pad with metal extension to be removed to get to the screw for the A pillar trim that runs under the metal panel.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
it's a different car, but the 2 door LeBaron/Diplomats and maybe Volare/Aspens require the dash pad with metal extension to be removed to get to the screw for the A pillar trim that runs under the metal panel.
Yup, there's one last screw hidden back there

Edit: I wonder if it's different because the imperial dash is different? Doesn't the imperial dash pad clip in a different way?

AL_Brad

Reaction score
Thank you all. The Imperials A pillars are covered in foamed material (like the headliner) so I don't think as of yet that they're screwed on like the Volare ones and they are not visible if so. I guess this is going to take some investigative work and maybe dash pad removal.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The New Yorker/5th Avenue ones are also padded and are identical to the non padded ones in the Dodges and Plymouths and screwed on. But looking at pictures online of Imperial I don't see any screws in the middle only at the top.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Thank you all. The Imperials A pillars are covered in foamed material (like the headliner) so I don't think as of yet that they're screwed on like the Volare ones and they are not visible if so. I guess this is going to take some investigative work and maybe dash pad removal.
I recovered some 5th ave A pillars a few years ago. I can't recall the screw situation but I do remember that I didn't need to use much glue, just on the back of the plastic and even there, the Walmart material I got which was very much like the original stretched and held very easily. It looked like new when done.

80mirada

Reaction score
There is a snapped down panel on top of the dash that needs to come off. There are screws at the top where the over the window trim over laps. It is pretty stiff to get them out, they snap over the A-pillar. Take your time, be careful and patient. It is easier if you loosen the dash screws that are under the windshield, and drop the steering column, but not usually necessary.

Back