Air Shocks

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am after some air shocks for my 1983 Cordoba, anyone got anything lying around or know where some may be who would like to help a fellow moparian in NZ :)

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
Check with a parts store. No idea whst you've got there but Advance Auto Parts lists Monroe MA750, air shocks for F/M/J. They're roughly $90 but don't include the lower insulators, washers or nuts. Those, and the air line kit are, as they say, "availible separately".

Now if only they're in stock and not on intergallactic backorder is another question. I'll assume they can be bought anywhere that carries Monroe brand, not only from Advance.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Been through that already, nobody can get them that I have seen. Apparently some sites still show them but when ordered nobody can get them. I wonder what MA709 fits. Not listed as fitting but they look like they would.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Been through that already, nobody can get them that I have seen. Apparently some sites still show them but when ordered nobody can get them. I wonder what MA709 fits. Not listed as fitting but they look like they would.
That's kind of what I figured, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
I have a pair that Dad ran on his coupe for a while. They're yours if you want them. You'll need to convert the back end to B body shock plates first though. Even if you could find air shocks that would fit the factory shock mounts they would break in no time.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Duke, Im confused at your statement. Air shocks on factory mounts work perfectly fine and did in the 80-s and 90-s. My Super Coupe still has them on it since the 80-s.... not sure of the brand but they are white in body and although I had to replace the lines a couple times from becoming brittle and breaking they still hold air.

Maybe overall the road conditions are worse today than back then and are harder on parts.

Air shocks on wide short 14 inch tires/rims was the norm to compensate for the bad factory low performance gear ratio.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Duke, Im confused at your statement. Air shocks on factory mounts work perfectly fine and did in the 80-s and 90-s. My Super Coupe still has them on it since the 80-s.... not sure of the brand but they are white in body and although I had to replace the lines a couple times from becoming brittle and breaking they still hold air.

Maybe overall the road conditions are worse today than back then and are harder on parts.

Air shocks on wide short 14 inch tires/rims was the norm to compensate for the bad factory low performance gear ratio.

I've seen more than a few busted lower shock mounts on these cars. That tab the shocks stud mount sits in is pretty thin. The B body plates a hell of a lot beefier.

I was just a barely sentient kid when these cars were new, so they could have held up just fine earlier in life. I didn't start wrenching on these until they were twenty years old already.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I have one shock plate that was cracked at the hole where the shock mounts on a aspen parts car that I bought many years ago. But I can say that i had air shocks on my volare for years when I was a kid and also a 77 volare that I currently have and it never had any issues. So can they break, I would say yes but is not like they snap off right away on every car. So would I be afraid to use them No not really. So just be aware.

Last edited:

volare 1977

Reaction score
Gotcha, I tossed a good working pair some years . Maybe someone has some lying around some where.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Not sure about the upside down thing. The MA709 looks closer???? But I wonder about the upper bolt and over all length?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Not sure about the upside down thing. The MA709 looks closer???? But I wonder about the upper bolt and over all length?
Yes I agree, it looks a good fit the gas shocks spec's for the rear of a J body are length 18.625", Comp 11.375" and travel 7.250" and the MA709 is Length 17.375", Comp 10.75" and travel 6.625" it looks somewhere in the ball park, is the eye at the top compatible with the Chrysler one?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
KYB list the upper mount as 12.8mm x 41.3mm, the MA709 is L1 5/8" id and 1 5/16" or 15.875mm x 33.3375mm

1676934005867.png

MA709 L1 mount

1676944725918.png

Monroe gas shock LS39 mount

JerryH

Reaction score
Well,
If you're unable to find them anywhere in NZ (lived in North Island myself) then how'bout you just take the springs to a shop, have them redone to your height and buy a pair of suitable normal shocks? Salvage what ya'got?

JerryH

Reaction score
Who cares if you are unable to get the old parts anywhere?. Adapt and do something else.

Back