All V8s are borrowed from the chevy small block

slant6billy

Reaction score
My team lead's husband informed me that all makers are just borrowing chevy's small block. Me and my electrical lead (who is a mopar truck guy) just nodded.

I was ready to blast him, but his peanut brain would have exploded.

First time I looked at a Nissan's V8, I though chevy........ I think not.

I don't really care who invented nor had the first V8.........

4 letters: HEMI. It is the V8 every other V8 wishes it was.

I'll still take my LA or Magnum Small block over any chevy.

I never been able to explode a mopar small block and I have tried. I have destroyed 5 GM V8s without much effort.

Some folks know it all and it ain't worth the argument

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My team lead's husband informed me that all makers are just borrowing chevy's small block. Me and my electrical lead (who is a mopar truck guy) just nodded.

I was ready to blast him, but his peanut brain would have exploded.

First time I looked at a Nissan's V8, I though chevy........ I think not.

I don't really care who invented nor had the first V8.........

4 letters: HEMI. It is the V8 every other V8 wishes it was.

I'll still take my LA or Magnum Small block over any chevy.

I never been able to explode a mopar small block and I have tried. I have destroyed 5 GM V8s without much effort.

Some folks know it all and it ain't worth the argument

Yep.
Trying to explain things to cauliflower just doesn't work and ain't worth the effort.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sounds like a typical Chevy goon to me......
Hate to say it but, the first American OHV V-8 ever made was the 1917 Chevrolet. It was such a POS it was gone by 1918. I know that isn't what you were talking about and I'd rather walk on my ass cheeks than drive a Chevy.
Funny, the single most V-8 brand I do major work on (at work) is some version of the SBC,,,,,,,,,,especially the Active Fuel Management versions of the past few years (oil burning, oil leaking, camshaft destroying, headgasket leaking crap). I call them "job security", lol!

The 1917 Chevy V-8 if anyone cares. What engineer thought exposed valvetrain would last more than a few hundred miles?
v-8.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
The first Chevy V-8 is a piss poor copy of an early aircraft engine, Hispano-Suiza. The LA and Magnum Small block Mopar are derived from the A-series (Gen1 Hemi and Polyspheric) Chrysler engine(1951) that predates the Shibby (1955). The wedge Chambers were first used In later Hispano Suiza V-8 aircraft engines

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Cheby small blocks eat cams and I've never done a Mopar cam unless during a engine build.

If it wasn't for the Dodge brothers, Hank Furd wouldn't have gotten reliable engines to start a empire.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yep, Chevy's ate camshafts in the '70's and '80's and they still do, even though it's all roller now. Got the 5.3 Silverado's down to a science here at work!

80mirada

Reaction score
The Chevy is cheap, light and plentiful. The Ford is light and compact.
The Mopar is larger, more expensive and much less plentiful in comparison.

Of course the Mopar has more room for stroke and bore with its high cam, relatively wide bore spacing, and high head deck. It is also blessed with excellent intake ports, and better valve angle. It has a wider valley between the heads for better intake design. The biggest draw back is the A-Hemi tappet angle, and the lack of aftermarket support

Back