Alternators

Camtron

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to order brackets and pulleys from, CVF Racing for my small block and they ask, if I’m using a Mopar or GM type alternator…I’m figuring since our cars use the alternator with the two dog ears to mount it to the bracket, it’s a GM type. From what I remember, Mopar alternators have one dog ear and the two small holes to run bolts through the bracket. Is that correct?
Just trying to get some clarity before I unload a bunch of cash.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah mopar has 1 ear and two bolt holes, but I'm not an expert. It's what's on mine
20230916_122256.jpg20230617_154714.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Exactly what I needed to know/see. Appreciate it, thank you.
Yeah mopar has 1 ear and two bolt holes, but I'm not an expert. It's what's on mine
View attachment 50910View attachment 50911
What year is your Diplomat? Curious when/why they changed the brackets and alts to GM set ups. Then again there’s a number of GM parts on our cars, wonder if that was just a cash saving option instead of developing/making shit in house.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
What year is your Diplomat? Curious when/why they changed the brackets and alts to GM set ups. Then again there’s a number of GM parts on our cars, wonder if that was just a cash saving option instead of developing/making shit in house.
Mine is an 87. It actually had the wrong mopar alternator on it when I got it. It cross referenced for a truck. I have a mopar remanufactured alternator on it now. Not that it matters too much. That style of alternator was used for decades in all different vehicles.

Yours had a GM in it? I didn't know that was a thing. I'll go look in my parts book from 88 and see what it says

80mirada

Reaction score
Chrysler went to updated alternators with higher low speed out put. They used a new internally produced model, Bosch or Denso sourced units depending on year and output. The Chrysler one looks a lot like a GM one, as does the Bosch. The Denso has a rounded appearance.

Camtron

Reaction score
Mine is an 87. It actually had the wrong mopar alternator on it when I got it. It cross referenced for a truck. I have a mopar remanufactured alternator on it now. Not that it matters too much. That style of alternator was used for decades in all different vehicles.

Yours had a GM in it? I didn't know that was a thing. I'll go look in my parts book from 88 and see what it says
Yea, with the bracket tensioner on my car, there’s no way a traditional Mopar one can go on. Uses one (top) dog ear for the tensioner and the other (bottom) to hang from the block.
I’ll take a photo never time I’m out in the garage.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Those pictures are the typical mopar alternator used for decades. If that's what you have you need the mopar bracket.
I don't know the CVF stuff but my guess is the GM bracket is for people who are literally using GM alternator.

88/89 went to the Denso alternators that use the bigger police bracket but with the tensioner bolt added to it.

Camtron

Reaction score
Chrysler went to updated alternators with higher low speed out put. They used a new internally produced model, Bosch or Denso sourced units depending on year and output. The Chrysler one looks a lot like a GM one, as does the Bosch. The Denso has a rounded appearance.
Makes sense. came with a Denso, think it’s a Bosch on there now.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Parts catalog lists 3 different alternators for 88
20230916_133130.jpg20230916_132525.jpg
So it's possible to have more than one option

Camtron

Reaction score
This is the set up on my car (not a photo of my car)

IMG_6250.jpeg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
That's the later HD style Chysler alternator it's different then GM. They've used those square body alternators with the different bracket setup since the 70s. This is the older version

7521_ANG.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
This is the 88/89 version

And the Denso (rounded one) that they gave up the old style alternator for. They all use thst different bracket setup.

Im guessing that you would need the GM style bracket but might end up needing spacers.

7002204-ANG.jpg

210-1004_ANG.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
This is the 88/89 version

And the Denso (rounded one) that they gave up the old style alternator for. They all use thst different bracket setup.

Im guessing that you would need the GM style bracket but might end up needing spacers.

View attachment 50916

View attachment 50917
Yup, looking like it. Those are the exact two alternators I have out in the garage. We’ll see when they get here.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Why didn't you keep the serpentine belt setup on the Magnum?

Camtron

Reaction score
Why didn't you keep the serpentine belt setup on the Magnum?
Don’t want it to look like there’s a “new” engine in the car mostly, didn’t keep A/C in the car to want to keep a compressor sitting on the engine for no reason…just not what I want.

Camtron

Reaction score
CVF parts arrived this morning. My suspicions were correct.
If you have the HD alternator and bracket, you’ll want to select the “GM” alternator bracket/adjustment rod option, if you have the standard Mopar round alternator with the round/square back you’ll want to select the Mopar alternator option.
All spacers and hardware included, made in the USA out of aluminum, part and manufacturing ID cut into surface…do you need these on your car, no. Do they look nice as all hell, you better believe it, Scooter.
Gonna clean up the engine bay real nice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back