b-body springs

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
FirmFeel has hangers to mount E-body springs in a J body.

I cant find specs for the diminsions of these longer hangers. Mancini lists longer brackets but doesnt actually give specs as to length...

slant6billy

Reaction score
What about the iso clamp of the FMJ? will it need some tending to to make it work or what?

slant6billy

Reaction score
MMC, did you do that by chance, choice or direction. I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out. My concern is U bolts. It looks like a set of replacement U bolts for my f body are too long for the 8 3/4 if I utilize the iso clamp. It looks like the threads on the U bolts end too soon and I need another inch to inch and a 1/4 towards the U bend. I could cut some 1 inch spacer block. That too starts to get too much and I want a more straight forward approach with as little modifying as possible- me Mr modification and custom; such as it is.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The weak link in any of the J-bodys drive train was the 7 1/4 rear. The 8 1/4 rears didnt hold up too long for me either. The factory leaf spring front oval eyelet was another weak point. I would snap the driver side leaf spring, right after the eyelet. So for me stepping upto an 8 3/4 with super stock (SS) leaf springs was a neccesity. Eliminating the iso-crap was by choice. Those rubber pads held water and rust out the iso-clamp parts.

As far as the U-bolts go, try to find ones that have a flattend part in the U itself, this will avoid crushed or distorted axle tubes. I have distorted passenger side axle tubes where the U-bolts retain the housing. Aftermarket Green bearings arent forgiving on a bent housing and wont last long.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yep, I shattered 2 of the 7 1/4s with my slanted buzz'n 1/2 dozen back in the day. Upgraded to 8 1/4 and then the 8 3/4 and the ford 9 inch. My Dad welded brackets to accept the different rears- especially the 9 inch. My current F has the 8 1/4. I have access to an early 70's 8 3/4 with a 489 case. I would not use this because of the width. I do have access to a few rears of the correct fitment.
thanks

Back