Best brake set up

My imp

Reaction score
The previous owner of my Imperial put on "those ceramic pads" to keep dust to a minimum. While successful at that, they are far from the best stopping brakes I've ever had. My question is as follows; which disc/pad combo provides the best stopping? Rock Auto lists 50 different pads, but even their police/taxi pkg. is for base "K" vin (2 bbl), not "M" vin. What are the part #'s for the best pad, shoe, rotor, & drum combination. I don't care about dust, I wash my car. What I do care about is nice crisp stops, the ones that put you through the windshield if you don't have your safety belt on. Thanks, Larry

Erics5th

Reaction score
The police/taxi cars specified semi-metalic front brake pads. For the rear shoes, I believe bonded shoes where specified. I use riveted shoes. I used to work with a guy who's father ran a brake/alignment shop, and he said they dissipate heat better.

My imp

Reaction score
I know, thank you. I need specific part #'s; all the pads have an "84" suffix with different prefixes. I want the most aggressive pads & shoes I can get for stock type rotors & drums. I think the high-carbon rotors w/the best semi-metallic pads. Therein lies the dilemma; which pads are the best. Rock auto lists 500 different pads. Who knows which are the best, or here there's a shoot out amoungst stock type pads & rotors. Thanks, Larry

slant6billy

Reaction score
I went back a forth with various pad types. I never got that "throw you through windshield" stopping power on the factory F body set up. When roadrunninMark's cuda was going from front drums to disk, we went with a 11 3/4 swap. I went into a bit more on a previous thread:http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/cla...?1798-Caliper-Brackets-Wanted&highlight=brake
I put the big disk conversion on my 79 right before selling it, with the bigger caliper, and bigger pads with a semi ceramic material. That would stop better than ever. If you want to go that route. also used a reverse bleeder kit to get a super firm pedal too.

Back