bit more performance

78fourdoor

Reaction score
hi there would there be any performance increases if i fitted a 4 barrel carb and headers to my 318 engine, do a body headers fit in the f body engine bay, i have power steering will this cause any problems in fitting? does any body have pictures of headers fitted to the engine in an aspen?

any info/pics would be gratefully recieved

thanks

slant6billy

Reaction score
78Fourd,
I'm pulling my 8 1/4" rear out in the next few weeks. It is a posi unit, that is "sure grip" non open rear. Currently, the gear is a 4:10 or 4:11 base on the turn yoke measurement. It came out of a cop car M body 1985 to 88 but has the smaller 10 inch drums- not the 11 inch on some AHB "M" bodies. Now, it could use a new gasket on the differential cover, but that is about it for real issues. The brake line "Tee" is loose from the housing- another minor fix - I could do once I get it out from under the car. I'm upgrading to a 8 3/4" , so I'd be asking for 150 bucks for my 8 1/4" plus shipping. My car funds are hurting right now, so I kind of need to stick with the price. Would prefer to use paypal. I also have a suggestion for your headliner/ cardboard- as well. I rebuilt my cardboard and redid my headliner for under 25 bucks. It don't look stock, but it don't look like crap either and I get complements form any one who sees it up close. I could send you the info and pics to get into that but it will overtake the thread here. Let me know.

78fourdoor

Reaction score
hi slant6billy yes please put my name on the rear, i will pm you so you can send me the info on the headliner

ramenth

Reaction score
If you look at TTI's website it lists the B and E as fitting the F, M, and J's because of the different shapes in the left side of the A bodies. As a matter of fact, our cars have a slight advantage over the B's and E's as we don't have the torsion bars running the length of the headers to deal with.

As far as installing a 4bbl and headers and gaining performance...

You will, but with the stock cam and stock heads the performance gains will be minimum for the money spent. It'll wake it up some, especially with the headers, but remember, the very basic principal of an internal combustion engine is as a giant air pump. More good air in, more bad air out, the more efficient the engine will run (ie horsepower and torque).

That being said, you'll have more air coming in that will hit a bottle neck in the stock heads and cam.

Spend a few bucks and replace the cam depending on your application. Something that will work from 0-5500 rpm and work with a stock converter and springs if just want to give the car a little more oomph. Hit the salvage yards for a late model M body and get the 302 heads off of it and do a gasket match with the intake and headers. Sounds like a lot of work, but then you'll get some more air through to dump out the headers and duals and wake up that little teen to something you'll like for the money.

Edit: sorry, didn't see you're in the UK, so hitting the salvage yards and finding a set of 302's might be difficult for you... but the suggestions still stand: see what you can do to find a set of heads for it or a reputable machine shop that can work with your heads in opening them up.

Last edited:

78fourdoor

Reaction score
If you look at TTI's website it lists the B and E as fitting the F, M, and J's because of the different shapes in the left side of the A bodies. As a matter of fact, our cars have a slight advantage over the B's and E's as we don't have the torsion bars running the length of the headers to deal with.

As far as installing a 4bbl and headers and gaining performance...

You will, but with the stock cam and stock heads the performance gains will be minimum for the money spent. It'll wake it up some, especially with the headers, but remember, the very basic principal of an internal combustion engine is as a giant air pump. More good air in, more bad air out, the more efficient the engine will run (ie horsepower and torque).

That being said, you'll have more air coming in that will hit a bottle neck in the stock heads and cam.

Spend a few bucks and replace the cam depending on your application. Something that will work from 0-5500 rpm and work with a stock converter and springs if just want to give the car a little more oomph. Hit the salvage yards for a late model M body and get the 302 heads off of it and do a gasket match with the intake and headers. Sounds like a lot of work, but then you'll get some more air through to dump out the headers and duals and wake up that little teen to something you'll like for the money.

Edit: sorry, didn't see you're in the UK, so hitting the salvage yards and finding a set of 302's might be difficult for you... but the suggestions still stand: see what you can do to find a set of heads for it or a reputable machine shop that can work with your heads in opening them up.

thanks for the info, what cam can i use? will i need to do some head work or is there a cam that will improve performance without too much other expense, im not looking for drag race performance but just to wake it up a little and improve the performance somewhat, i definetly need different rear gears and a suregrip which i am working on, some of these parts may be available in the uk but its not a hotbed of mopar stuff - and its not cheap!!

thanks again

if anyone has any pictures of headers in a f body i would be very interested in them

ramenth

Reaction score
thanks for the info, what cam can i use? will i need to do some head work or is there a cam that will improve performance without too much other expense, im not looking for drag race performance but just to wake it up a little and improve the performance somewhat, i definetly need different rear gears and a suregrip which i am working on, some of these parts may be available in the uk but its not a hotbed of mopar stuff - and its not cheap!!

thanks again

if anyone has any pictures of headers in a f body i would be very interested in them

There are cams out there that will work with stock springs, etc. You can call Comp cams and they can spec one out for you, given the application: stock valve gear, stock convertor, stock compression, etc.

Remember, it's all a system and needs to be matched together. Given stock chamber size, stock compression, stock pistons, everything in regards to the cam is going to need so much cylinder pressure in order to operate correctly. Again, something someone like Comp can help walk you through.

As far as the heads themselves go, not much work needs to be done in order to get you where you need to be. A good gasket match with the manifold and maybe a slight bowl blend can get you good gains when matched with the cam that you're looking for.

And while you're changing cams get rid of the nylon coated gear and step up to a double roller timing set.

Last edited:
Back