Broken choke story

slant6billy

Reaction score
Update to the story. I got an envelope from Edelbrock today with a replacement shaft rod and new anchor end hex screw. How is that for standing by a product. Vic has my vote. That was only Thursday when the mishap occurred too. Now onto the next issue ..... cylinder washdown. The old carb was spewing a lot of gas and now the oil stinks of gas. New thread

My imp

Reaction score
There's a shop on YouTube that restomod.'d a GTO (Get the Tools Out) & had the same trouble as you with the gas getting into the oil & trashing the rod bearings. E'brock got back to him & he was impressed. Whether or not they impressed him enough to pay for the damage their POS carb caused is another thing altogether. Nice Goat though.they used the convoluted stainless steel coolant hoses on it. I personally like that look & would like to use it on my Imp. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with these?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I saw that video the other day in my quest for similar findings. I can only think that a brand new motor - meaning not broken in and not having everything "seated" yet? Simply, I see all those flame thrower kits that kid of do the same thing ( gas washed oil). Plus, I want to think that GTO had a real hot street motor? Again, I was really shocked by the damage. My last slant6 was run dry on coolant and was low on oil. It chattered up top (slightly louder than normal). I figured top end was hosed. To my surprise, when I tore the motor down, all it really could have needed was some adjustments up top. The main bearings were fine as well the rod bearings. Cam looked good. I rebuilt it anyway and sold it to my friends dad for his pickup truck. Still running today on that build. I don't think the old man has put any oil or coolant in it. Hopefully my luck with mopar will hold true.

My imp

Reaction score
Extremely durable engines from such a low tech era! Other than the bronze gear they should've put on at the factory, what an efficient design! The 225 & 318 SHOULD be going down in history as two of the finest designs out there! Love them both! They claimed to have broken in the motor for 2 hrs., but you don't know if proper procedure was followed or not. Not to be an arsehole, but would you want a guy slinging rubbing compound dust right next to your new engine w/o an air cleaner? I always thought you lapped the valves before you put it in the car?

slant6billy

Reaction score
Similar, A former friend on mine was hell bent on sticking a 454 chevy in a 79 camaro. Local newspaper ad had a 454 "built" for sale. So, off to the seller and the show. The seller had this motor all pretty painted with chrome valve covers and a Moroso cleaner with open headers. The motor is sitting in a 4 door caprice or impala as use for an engine stand. The guy fires it up and it comes alive in quick fashion. Temps look good, but that is from a lollypop thermometer screwed into the water port on the intake. The gauges were not hooked up to the car. The only thing hooked up was the ignition and starter. We did not know how many demonstrations this guy did, but we got the grand finale. Apparently, that fresh built chevy either was short on oil or burned it all off. We could not hear much, because of the open headers. About 15 minutes into the run.... some hard banging. The engine got louder and the dude just went on as usual. It shut down and that was it. Hence- NO SALE. I just spent less than 20 bucks on 5 quarts of Valvoline NON synthetic and a new filter. The Valvoline is the stuff that won't cause you an oil leak. I rant about how good it is all the time. The oil filter is a decent 5 dollar one. I'll change a few times shortly over then next few weeks-so no razz'n on a cheap filter. For a 20 buck investment- it is good insurance.

My imp

Reaction score
Many moons ago I worked for a couple of engine shops. One thing about 80% of all those engines had in common, was a brand new shiny orange Farm (Fram) oil filter. Can't say they're bad, but I don't believe in coincidences!

slant6billy

Reaction score
New oils in/ new filter on. Now I am pulling the coil and the gas line. Not trying to blow myself up. I'm running the fuel line into a bottle (1 gallon) and the coil wire is off the coil. This way no gas and no spark. Just fresh oil going all around inside that motor. BREAK : Dinner time.

Back