Bumper Thoughts?

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
So ended up getting rear ended and the body shop doesn't want to touch it due to "parts availability". I wanted to ask your opinion on how easy do you think it will be to fix it or if you had an idea on how to fix it?

Picture Link: (too big to upload)
Bumper.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Is the bumper itself bent or did it just compress the bumper "shock" on that side?
If the bumper is OK, you can pull the shock back out. It'll take quite a bit of force to that though.
The bumper itself can be straightened and replated by any reputable bumper place, although at a cost. For reference, my bumpers were $410/each including front door pickup and delivery, from FonDuLac Bumper Exchange here in Wisconsin (and they did an AWESOME job, 99.9% flawless and 1000% better than they were even when new.).
You could probably find a replacement (good used) shock without TOO much trouble, if needed.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if you needed to replace the bumper shock, that isn’t too hard to find (the F and M bodies are the same, but different front vs. rear).

From the picture, it looks like a bumper shock is all that is needed.
There appears to be a dent in the bumper, but that could get by for a while.

There is a ’78 Volare in parts page that should have a good bumper shock for you.

There is one at this pull-a-part – but I don’t know if I want to ship a bumper that far. '84 5th Ave - Parts

BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Picture Link: (too big to upload)
Note: my cell phone takes pictures that are 5312 x 2988, or 8.3 MB per picture.

I use an app (even Windows Paint works) on my computer to crop pictures (if needed) and resize pictures down to 2000 pixels on long side and it seems to do me well.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Get lots of good penetrating fluid, soak the shock, get a chain and a sturdy tree.

Body shop must be full of crackheads or just beyond stupid.

Justwondering

Reaction score
LyonAdmiral ...
When my dad backed his Silverado with trailer hitch into my Fifth Avenue:
5th Ave Crimped Fender.jpg
5th Ave Crimped Header panel.jpg

I found another silver/grey Fifth avenue at a picknpull.
Took the entire front clip including bumper and the front left quarter panel.
I was way cheaper since I needed the header panel (part behind the driver side light assembly) but that part is the full width of the car.

Its a simple matter of removing bolts BUT you need to put something under the bumper to keep it from dropping to the ground or hitting the concrete floor. I don't have popeye arms so I used cinder blocks turned on their side.

PB Blaster or ScrewLoose on the bolts the day before. I'd do it a couple of times.

Will post the pictures from my service manual in the next post. My phone is refusing to talk to my computer tonight. lol

Justwondering

Reaction score
What they are saying is the 'energy absorber' is probably shot-- has done its job and absorbed as much as it can stand -- can stands no more.

That part, from what they are saying, is probably whats funked up.
The only way to tell is get your cardboard out, put it under the car's rear bumper, lay down on it and look up. Compare driver side to passenger side.

I found the bolts on the absorber to be easier to get to release than the bolts on the bumper. They are larger and somewhat lend themselves to a cheater bar or long box wrench.

Sorry if this is too basic, but this is one of the few questions I can answer and have some experience with (although it was the front not the rear bumper).:)

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
Is the bumper itself bent or did it just compress the bumper "shock" on that side?

Thankfully the bumper stayed completely straight, it appears that the shock is what compressed, and there is a dent on the bumper, but at this point if it will pull out with or without significant force, I am grateful.

Justwondering

Reaction score
It was the last straw for my tolerance of his vodka consumption.
Course, the next day he didn't even remember it had happened.
Just thankful I didn't inherit the substance abuse gene from him.

And yes, I went to the picknpull and got all the parts I needed and put it on his charge card.. including the tank of gas to make the round trip to the lot.

Sometimes I'm just a bad, bad girl.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Uh, I would not do the chain and tree routine. I tried that once and ripped the bolts right through the bumper. Take the bumper off, remove the "shock", and see if deconstructor jim has one.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Even if you needed to replace the bumper shock, that isn’t too hard to find (the F and M bodies are the same, but different front vs. rear).

BudW

F bumper shocks changed in 1980 along with the bumper. 76-79 ones wont interchange with the 80 and newer F/M's.

I may still have the rears from a parted 88 Dippy.

Back