cam shaft replace

mopops

Reaction score
have 82 mirada with 1989 360 truck motor,low compression, auto stock converter, 370 rear gears what would be a camshaft pic for street use ,it is a factory roller motor tks

Last edited:

Remow2112

Reaction score
Look at the specs for a Comp Cams XE268 and see if you can find a roller version. You can call Hughes Engines and they will probably have a cam shaft that will get you close.

Xtreme Energy 224/230 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 273-360

It would be a great street cam and you don't have to clearance the valve stems and springs for that level of cam should be pretty cheap.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Define "street use" please...that term means different things to different folks (and I promise I'm not trying to be difficult here).

Case in point, my coupe is a street use vehicle, but only in the following conditions:
- summer only
- dry day (absolutely no rain)
- two foot driving is recommended, albeit you will do fine with 1 foot until you need 2
- go gentle on the pedal, it'll go sideways on you in no time, something about the 4K stall converter that you need to be aware of (is that still "stree use"...LOL)

...you get the idea, yeah?

Oh, blueprinted 10.25:1 static CR, actual 195 psi cranking compression reading, agressive ignition curve (21 initial, 36 all in by 2K RPM) => 91 octane gas minimium.

mopops

Reaction score
Define "street use" please...that term means different things to different folks (and I promise I'm not trying to be difficult here).

Case in point, my coupe is a street use vehicle, but only in the following conditions:
- summer only
- two foot driving is recommended, albeit you will do fine with 1 foot until you need 2
- go gentle on the pedal, it'll go sideways on you in no time, something about the 4K stall converter that you need to be aware of (is that still "stree use"...LOL)

Oh, blueprinted 10.25:1 static CR, actual 195 psi cranking compression reading, agressive ignition curve (21 initial, 36 all in by 2K RPM) => 91 octane gas minimium.
nice, but not what i want, just thinking cam change

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
nice, but not what i want, just thinking cam change
Ahh, got it, so keep it exactly as per the description you provided in your post, and no change plans.

"stock converter, 370 rear gears"

What is the stall speed of that converter?

The 3.70 gear will allow the motor to pick up the RPM fairly quickly, but the stall speed will dictate how much of a cam you can manage.

#1 -

Energy 224/230 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360​

Roller version of what @Remow2112 suggested above.

I wouldn't go any bigger in duration unless I knew the converter stall speed can support it...in fact, that 224 duration on the intake may already bit a tad much.

Remow2112

Reaction score
Ahh, got it, so keep it exactly as per the description you provided in your post, and no change plans.

"stock converter, 370 rear gears"

What is the stall speed of that converter?

The 3.70 gear will allow the motor to pick up the RPM fairly quickly, but the stall speed will dictate how much of a cam you can manage.

#1 -

Energy 224/230 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360​

[/URL][/URL]

Roller version of what @Remow2112 suggested above.

I wouldn't go any bigger in duration unless I knew the converter stall speed can support it...in fact, that 224 duration on the intake may already bit a tad much.
For the record I have run the flat tappet version on a stock converter and much worse gearing and it was fine.

Thanks for digging up the roller equivalent. But you really shouldn't go much bigger.

mopops

Reaction score

- summer only

summer use to enjoy

Duke5A

Reaction score
The compression is the issue here. A stock 80's truck motor is going to have toilet bowl compression. Probably 8:1 or less. I wouldn't go any higher than this:

Xtreme Energy 218/224 Hydraulic Roller Cam for Chrysler 273-360

If you can get the compression above 9:1 then consider 224/230 cam. No higher than that with a factory converter.

If parts get mismatched you'll have an absolute dog. Learned this the hard way in my early 20's.

As to roller vs flat tappet, I'll never run a flat tappet again. Machine work on a lot of lifter faces are causing cams to wipe out. Been a problem for a while.

And you have a block that'll run a roller without having to use expensive retrofit rollers. Be sure to make sure the springs match and pushrods are the correct length.

mopops

Reaction score
The compression is the issue here. A stock 80's truck motor is going to have toilet bowl compression. Probably 8:1 or less. I wouldn't go any higher than this:

If you can get the compression above 9:1 then consider 224/230 cam. No higher than that with a factory converter.

If parts get mismatched you'll have an absolute dog. Learned this the hard way in my early 20's.

As to roller vs flat tappet, I'll never run a flat tappet again. Machine work on a lot of lifter faces are causing cams to wipe out. Been a problem for a while.

And you have a block that'll run a roller without having to use expensive retrofit rollers. Be sure to make sure the springs match and pushrods are the correct length.
tks looks like 218/224 is the choice, will be using a reground one to save money enjoy the holidays please an tks again

Ele115

Reaction score
My guess is that you will find out that you want some compression sooner rather than later

mopops

Reaction score

can you tell me what the difference is between cams with 108 or 110 or 112 how they act pls

Duke5A

Reaction score
can you tell me what the difference is between cams with 108 or 110 or 112 how they act pls

Lobe separation angle is the measurement between the intake and exhaust lobes at maximum lift expressed in degrees. This changes where peak torque occurs. Larger separation angles are better suited to lower compression motors and where idle characteristics are a concern as it reduces valve overlap (where the intake and exhaust are open at the same time) and increases the dynamic compression ratio. Basically more street friendly. Duration factors into this as well though. You can get a cam custom ground for your application if you want. It might benefit you as your compression is around 8:1. You would have to consult someone though.

There is more that goes into this though and I'm by far not an expert.

mopops

Reaction score
Lobe separation angle is the measurement between the intake and exhaust lobes at maximum lift expressed in degrees. This changes where peak torque occurs. Larger separation angles are better suited to lower compression motors and where idle characteristics are a concern as it reduces valve overlap (where the intake and exhaust are open at the same time) and increases the dynamic compression ratio. Basically more street friendly. Duration factors into this as well though. You can get a cam custom ground for your application if you want. It might benefit you as your compression is around 8:1. You would have to consult someone though.

There is more that goes into this though and I'm by far not an expert.
tks i can get one with 112 268 224/230 reground i think it would be a good choice tks

Ele115

Reaction score
The good news is you are in a roller engine. Otherwise, finding lifters that are ground right would be a huge nightmare. I buy up all of the old NOS lifters I can find and they are so expensive now. Still better than wiping a cam or spending weeks putting together 16 decent lifters and measuring them.

Back