Cano Kroil penetrating oil

My imp

Reaction score
Anyone living in the rust belt can attest to exactly what rust can do to fasteners. The best stuff I have ever used is called Kroil, the oil that creeps. It's made by Cano. Smells like overheated panther piss, but NOTHING works like it. Anyone I've ever given some to has changed from whatever else they were using. I buy it by the gallon, but they have spray cans of it. Thay sell 8 oz sample cans from their website. Eastwood sells it also, they're real proud of it, & their price reflects that! Try some. Do yourself a favor. Squirt some on a heater hose nipple & giv'r a try! Or those exhaust manifold stud nuts that like to wring off! Good luck, Larry

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Yup, good stuff
My father buys the spray cans by the case for work so we usually get a good deal on em :p

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
I read a comparison study on the major players in penetrating oils. It was pretty interesting, under a controlled test of how much torque it took to loosen a rusted bolt or nut. They compared WD40, Kroil, PB Blaster, and Liquid Wrench, and a mixture of ATF and acetone.
Take a guess which one won..........yep the ATF mixture.....by a bunch!

If I remember right I think the Kroil was next best, I'll see if I can find that article.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I read a comparison study on the major players in penetrating oils. It was pretty interesting, under a controlled test of how much torque it took to loosen a rusted bolt or nut. They compared WD40, Kroil, PB Blaster, and Liquid Wrench, and a mixture of ATF and acetone.
Take a guess which one won..........yep the ATF mixture.....by a bunch!

If I remember right I think the Kroil was next best, I'll see if I can find that article.

Do you remember what the mix ratio was?
ATF to acetone?

My imp

Reaction score
Yes, but your paying for the can & propellant 50 percent or better. You're lucky if you get 6 oz's in a 12 oz can. I buy it by the gallon for $77. With a plain spray bottle you can adjust the spray pattern & pressure. I don't know good of a deal your Dad gets, but I can find out how much a case discount is. I used to work for Gellner Engineering part time & they swore by PB Blaster. I took in some Kroil & demonstrated it on one of the worst thing to happen on BB Chevy blocks. The oil galley (1/8") pipe plugs near the pan rail are either inverted Allen, or inverted square. Any rust belt block with any age to it will strip or break during removal. You always soak with penetrant first, if that doesn't work, try heat, if that doesn't work, try drilling! I tapped it with a hammer after squirting it down with Kroil, the PB Blaster fan squirted another with Blaster. The Kroil'd plug came right out, he was so frustrated he put to much torque &....... The crossmember from that '83 Ply cop car sat behind my house for almost 20 yrs in the elements. I tried to break the steering gear mounting bolts & nut loose w/o Kroil. 1/2" IR impact at full boogie wouldn't even budge them. A couple of squirts &.... Came right off, didn't even let it soak! The cross members eng. & trans both rusted through, so those those fasteners were really rusted in place. I'm no salesman. I started using Zep, then Blaster, now Kroil. I've used Kroil for over 22 years now. I've found nothing better. On School Bus emergency door hinges, they seize from not being opened & then pressure cleaned & allowed to sit all summer. They will seize to the point of bending the hinge, door, or door frame on the bus. I use a concoction of Kroil & Anti Seize mixed in a Plews hand pump oil can that I force into the hinge. Within seconds, the rust starts running down the body, & within minutes, the hinge will stay free until the next time it gets pressure washed & hot opened.

My imp

Reaction score
It's on another site, I'll try to find it. Lab created rust, I never worked in a lab. Real world rust is what I work on. I'll try to find the study. Liquid wrench came in behind Kroil. Ever try Liquid Wrench on rusty bolts? Get out the torch or the drill & taps., you'll be needing them.

My imp

Reaction score
It's on another site, I'll try to find it. Lab created rust, I never worked in a lab. Real world rust is what I work on. I'll try to find the study. Liquid wrench came in behind Kroil. Ever try Liquid Wrench on rusty bolts? Get out the torch or the drill & taps., you'll be needing them.

Mopar Style. Read all the updates. Like I said, real world vs. "controlled conditions". For mild rust, like you good ole' boys from Texas that the only snow they seem will get you 10-20! lol Liquid wrench would work well enough. Acetone/ATF for the lighter duty stuff, but the concensus was Kroil for the heavy duty stuff. The others have a pleasant smell, Kroil smells like overheated panther piss, so you might want to save it for HD jobs. WD40 works great. After I clean my tools or parts in bio degradable solvent that rinses with water, I use WD40!

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
My fathers work pays for the case, and he'll throw a can or two into his lunchbox lol. Since he does inventory on everything, it'll get charged to a job without questions :p

alf44

Reaction score
i trust kroil to free up any rusted metal, when i run out its wd-40

My imp

Reaction score
I keep my non-chrome tools lubed with Kroil. Impact sockets & anything from Channel lock gets quite thirsty! My tools are always washed in a solvent tank with bio-degrade able solvent. It rinses with water, & it leaves a film that's supposed to not let steel rust (yeah right,), but a little squirt of WD-40 & they still look like new (except on the inside!).

NoCar340

Reaction score
Try a propane torch and pure beeswax sometime. Get the bolt/nut warm but not glowing hot, apply wax, remove fastener. Cheap, easy, safe, and natural. It works better than Kroil.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My dad had is rationale with this and I never got it. Certain jobs and what penetrating oil to use. The type of metal and other conditions came into play. When we rebuilt my sister's 77 Aspen slanted 1/2 dozen, the crud and crap was beyond belief. We soaked the rockers, push rods and all in a mixture of pb blaster, and Kroil. Those oil passages were all gummed up and no amount of compressed air would budge it. After a good soak over night and a few sprays, that junk came out. Word of caution, this is HARSH NASTY STUFF- all of it. Wear protective gloves and face/ eye protection. My dad reacted to it and was sick for a week. I do have a mix that has been decent: a cup of Tide and used (4-5 qts) synthetic motor oil- best cutting solution, parts soak, etc- but again be careful.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I suggested the beeswax for rusted stuff. It's an "old-timer" trick we learned several years ago. One of my best friends is a professional undercar guy, and you won't find penetrating oil in his toolbox. You will find a block of pure beeswax, though, and we live in the land of Ultra Rust, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They've already salted 3 times this season!

My imp

Reaction score
Never tried it, I always reserve heat as a last resort. It stands to reason, the penetration is what made Kroil famous (that's what she said!) lol. A couple of sprays, break out the burp gun & have at it. When I did the Imp, I tried some fasteners w/o Kroil, mixed results. As soon as that panther piss hit the fastners, they came off. I could try the wax, who doesn't love the smell of candles?

5wndwcpe

Reaction score
Amusing little tale about Kroil.

The Eastwood Co. is not too far from me and over the summer they have a car show at their facility, which is perfect for taking my 2yr. old grandson Riley to his first car show. We head over in my '68 and register to enter the show, which nets you a door prize ticket. I put the kid in the stroller and we cruise the grounds as I point out the cars to him and he eyeballs the babes. We're getting ready to leave when the announcer calls out the first round of door prize winners. Apparently the grand prize is picked later on in the afternoon. Nonetheless, ours is one of the early numbers.

We get to the door prize table and inquire as to what we won. "Choice" says one of the comely young volunteers manning the booth. Now the table is covered in cheap ass Chinese screwdrivers, tape measures and single cell penlights. Hmmm, some choice. But there, what do I spie all the way at the end of the table ? A gallon can of Kroil.

Choice ? says I. "Choice" says the lass. With that I pick up the Kroil, the lass nods, I stash the can under the stroller and Riley and I make Ronnie Sox's sixty foot times look Fred Flintstone as we beat feet back to the car with our bounty.

To this day I wonder how much the winner of the "grand prize" appreciates his foam rubber sanding block.
P1010062.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
Yes, now that's the best penetrating oil in the world, the free stuff! I've purchased my Kroil from Eastwood in the past, but through eBay. It ends up being a few bucks cheaper.

5wndwcpe

Reaction score
Did I mention it was hot ?

Riley says "Geez, Pops, fix the a/c will ya ?"

P1010064.jpg

P1010064.jpg

Back