Carb Kit Advice

Justwondering

Reaction score
.Well its no wonder that everyone ignored this post. Apparently I must have deleted it while editing it.

Too funny.

Originally, I wanted to know how you decide which carb kit to buy.

Darth-car recommended it be able to withstand ethanol.

So my options seem to be a kit with blue gaskets.
A kit with a lot of fiddly bits vs one with fewer fiddly bits.

Any recommendations?
--- Post updated ---
By the way, the mechanic's opinion on the car:
1. need to grease the wheel bearings
2. have the tires balanced
3. replace hoses
4. he sends his carbs out for someone else to put in the kits, so he just winced when i mentioned carb kit

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
I like the most complete kit possible, and I soak all of the hard parts in carb cleaner. Inspect all parts for damage and take your time following the instructions and compare all parts in the kit to the ones you are replacing.

Justwondering

Reaction score
80mirada ... thanks for the advice. slow and steady wins this race it would seem. I'll have to get that workbench in order before I begin.

How long should I expect my ride to be down? Is this a few hours, few days kind of project?

Just tedious it sounds like, but soaking parts and replacing things sounds like a few days rather than a weekend.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
It shouldn't take too long with the carb, but with the miles of vacuum lines and everything, it can be sort of time consuming. Definitely take pictures of where all the hoses go. For a really good clean, let the parts soak in the carb cleaner overnight, and be sure to use Gumout brand carb cleaner. It's the best by far. I'd allow one day for disassembly, let things soak overnight, and allow another day for reassembly. But like anything, expect things to go wrong.

As far as the wheel bearings, you have to remove the brake rotors to get to them because they use tapered wheel bearings. So unless they are fairly new, I'd just replace the rotors and bearings at the same time. New parts are always best if you can get them.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I already know I have to remove vacuum lines and replace them (one is definitely cracked going into the vent bowl and too short to cut and keep using).

Pictures... will do.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Putting in the new kit-parts is not that big a deal. Adjusting it back to factory settings is, or can be.Part of this is because the instructions are often set up for multiple vehicle carbs;so you have to sift through the fine print to figure out the various settings.
Having clean parts will go a long way in a successful rebuild.
With a high-quality carb cleaner,(expensive) the cleaning time can be down in the 2 to 4 hour range. This stuff can be reused,sometimes for years if kept in a sealed plastic container. The metal can it usually comes in will leak, possibly in the second year.The environmentally friendly stuff,(usually a tad cheaper), (and IMO,junk), takes way longer to clean stuff. Many hours.And it seems to have a limited shelf life.
If you have to buy the cleaner,Don't think that you will save money over having it professionally rebuilt locally. The good stuff ain't cheap. But if you like learning this stuff, dig in.
--- Post updated ---
Wheel bearings can last decades if serviced occasionally.Even 100,000 miles or more.Sometimes 200,000 miles.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
The changing of just some of the hoses has helped so much, I may not need to do a carb kit right now. I certainly understand that I professional could do this more quickly and get it right the first time. But I know so little about cars, I figured this is the next level of work I should be able to tackle when the time comes. I like learning....

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
I like this lady too. I've been loosely following her adventures with her 5A for several months now.

I've been having carb problems too. the guy that rebuilt it before me was not the most talented individual. My problems got so bad I actually bought another carb from another forum member with an 84(?) 5A but it turns out the emissions changed for 1986 so my 87 carb was different and I couldn't use it. Believe me I tried, but the vacuum routing was totally different.

JustWondering,
I just bought a GP Sorenson kit for my GF, its to rebuild my 6280 LB carb. I literally just finished getting mine apart to find sand and other detritus in my main body. This is my first ever automotive carb rebuild and I'm hoping it goes well. I also found some chattered up o-rings on the copper colored (feedback meter?) tube looking thing with wires growing out of it. I sprayed that down and soaked the lower body and main body as well as the thing with the venturis and long tiny sticks on it (metering block?), jets, and needle in a can of Berryman's carb dip (the aforementioned expensive good cleaner but not as good as Gumout). Tomorrow morning I plan on removing the parts from the cleaner and blowing out the passages with air before reassembly.

The kit I bought cost me $20 American Rubles and had new gaskets, rubber bits, new needle and some springs.

Ill keep you updated on progress and take some pictures tomorrow to show you what it looks like. Don't expect a step by step, I'm going bling and using google as my guide.

I've replaced all rubber vacuum lines, reset everything to factory specs, performed a tune up, new distributor, new computer, new choke spring and diaphragm, and I'm having the WORST time trying not only to start the thing (no matter how much or little timing I use) but also to keep it running until it warms up. Even then it doesn't always co-operate. The LB cold idle speed never worked either. I went so far as performing a compression test as well as a cylinder leak down test JUST so I didn't have to crack open this blasted metering device.

If I had $2000 I would buy a FAST Fuel Injection TBI setup.

Seriously. I despise carbs. But I love old MoPar.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
If I had $2000, that would buy me a couple of rear qtrs for my car.

Lucky for me, my GF is 100% rust free. its a 40K mile survivor that sat outside most of its life. Living in the rust belt (central WV) I'm totally surprised at how solid this thing really is. But honestly if I really had 2Gs to blow on that car, i would be ordering a lot of parts from the Firm Feel Inc guys. That and a 3.73:1 spooled posi but I digress...

Justwondering

Reaction score
$2,000 -- I'd want to buy a donor 1961-1962 pontiac tempest just to get the drive line, but I haven't seen one in over a year for that kind of money..
$2,000 -- I'd want to buy the I-beams and posts so I could build a garage and not have to work on cardboard and rocks
$2,000 -- In reality, I'd suck it up and pay another bill off and continue to save money for the paint job on the Fifth... lol.

Metallicaman0258...
I've got kinfolk all over West Virginia (dad's side). Only visited them twice, so other than Big Tyler Mountain, I don't remember much about WV other than it seemed like everyone lived on an incline. I'll send good kharma your way in case that helps with the carb problems. Tell me about your Gran Fury. I'm trying to talk my husband into just one more vehicle .. told him the FA was so close to being done I need another to work on. (don't laugh... I know they are never done, I just don't want him to know that).

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
Alrighty! The wait is over! I finally fully recombobulated the dreaded carbasawusrecks and results are positive! Its a runner. Ive never been so happy. After a Week of the flu, visitors, and overall busy-ness it feels good to have the old girl running properly for the first time since I've owned her.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
Hot Damn!
I know right?

I just need to iron out the stumble it has when cold never could figure that out. I've had that in all my carb'd vehicles and cant seem to adjust it out. With this one I think I can adjust it out with the idle screws. Trial and Error will tell...

OH!OH!OH! I also cleaned off the choke, choke spring in the manifold, choke pulloff, heat riser and all assorted adjustments on the carb and now the fast idle works as it should. Raises right up, kick the gas and it dies down when it warms up. Exhaust smells cleaner too.

Happier than a pig in slop I am

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm very proud of you... lots of fiddly bits and time...
A wonderful way to end the week.

So, when am I gonna a see a picture of you and your sh*t eating grin, the car, and west virginia in the background?

Back