Carpet for 4 speed wagon

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to put OY at the top of my list of "gotta dos". The wagon has been just sitting in the garage all boxed in with furniture and "stuff" and still with the two sets of brand new ACC carpet laid out on its roof since NOVEMBER!!! :mad: Enough!! Yesterday, I took two truckloads, and one trailer load of furniture and "stuff" to the thrift store and just got rid of it. :D Now, I have my garage back and can work on OY and the Pontiac. ;)

IMG_20190629_124454430.jpg

So, today OY finally got it's new carpet installed. I knew it would be quite a job, but it actually bordered on being a PIA! Lot's of cutting and trimming, climbing in and out, and contorting myself into positions that I didn't know I could do. I had to be really careful in measuring and cutting because I sure didn't want to have to buy any more. As I had planned, I used the front half of the four speed coupe carpet, and the rear half of the automatic four door carpet (because ACC doesn't make carpet for a four speed four door F) and then sectioned them together under the front seats with about a 5 inch overlap, front half overlapping the rear. I started by installing the rear carpet, measuring back and cutting it in half about 9 inches from the rear of the shifter hump. This distance allowed for the forward seat bolts to only have to go through one layer of carpet. I have the "mass-backed" carpet, which is heavier than plain carpet, but cuts nicely with a sharp razor. That is until you get to a section with the fiber insulation. That stuff was a real PIA to cut through! I used blue painters tape as a guide to keep things square, and where needed used metal shears to cut though the insulation.

IMG_20190630_143119305.jpg

The rear section was much easier than the front section to install. But, I did make a mistake in not remembering to mark and cut an X slit on the drive shaft hump for the inboard seat belts for the front seat. This was a problem I discovered later on after I had all the carpet in and secured, so now I have to go back and jack the car up to push an awl through the holes to find where the bolts go through. :( But, otherwise, it fit very well. Just needed to trim the sides and cut a small section for each rear seat hook.

IMG_20190630_125337613_HDR.jpg

The front section was much more difficult and it was hard to trim out for the shifter, and still keep the carpet nice and tight against the trans hump. This was because the trimming under the dash had to be done first to make it fit nice and tight. It had to be done carefully in small steps so as not to cut too much or in the wrong place. I had trimmed up under the dash before, but had to make some small adjustments to get it just right. The trick was to cut a little, and go back and cut more later. The insulation where the shifter hole goes was a real pain! :mad:

IMG_20190630_160430503.jpg

IMG_20190630_172125640.jpg

The trimming around the emergency brake cable and cutting a hole in exactly the right spot and right size to be able to correctly place the dimmer switch grommet, all required time and a lot of patience. :cool:

IMG_20190630_172122237.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
The next step was to find the holes for the seat bolts. After fitting the two pieces together with about a five inch overlap, so that neither front nor rear seat bolts would have to go through more than one layer of carpet, I pushed a sharp awl up through the welded in bolt holes from the bottom, and used a marker to circle the awl tip. Then I made an X cut just big enough for the bolt to fit through.

IMG_20190630_171028814.jpg

IMG_20190630_172103028.jpg

I originally thought that I might have the rear edge of the front carpet bound, but the only place that it is even seen is next to the door sills, and I like the way it lays flat there, and blends right together.

IMG_20190630_172143397.jpg

Another down side to having to use both the coupe and four door carpets, other than costing twice as much, is that there is a lot of waste left over.

IMG_20190630_181908750.jpg

So, with the carpet in place, finally the plaid 60/40 seats from Oklahoma went in! :D Notice that I was able to push the awl up through the carpet and mark it with a black dot on the drive shaft hump for the inboard front drivers seat belt, but for the passenger side, I think I will have to remove the cat shield to get to the bolt hole on that side. Oh well, only one thing forgotten isn't too bad.

IMG_20190630_190414757.jpg

While the front carpet was a lot of work, I think it came out pretty nice. I didn't finish off the shifter because I want to get a new shifter boot because OY's original one has a small tear in it, and I also need longer screws than the originals to secure the boot plate due to the thickness of the insulation.

IMG_20190630_190429413_HDR.jpg

So, in case this isn't quite enough butterscotch plaid to transport you back to 1978, I still have the matching "optional Hillcrest Plaid" door panels to install yet! ;)

IMG_20190630_190422242_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
That makes a huge difference, having the new carpet! I remember the pictures of the original.
Another way to find the bolt holes is put the bolt in the hole before the carpet. Then make the cut and push the carpet over the head of the bolt.

I remember putting the carpet in my car, and even with a made to order one, it was tedious. Measure 6 times, cut once, lol. As they say, you can always take more off but you can't put it back and carpet, while not expensive really, still isn't cheap. Lets just say, it's a good thing I've got a console. Don't tell anyone but, I screwed up cutting for the console brackets, shhhhhhh.

Back