Cordoba drivers seat movement

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello,

Need some help, can someone post a video of a j body drivers seat and how much rock it's got in it? Like with seat back in normal position pull seat back forward to show the play? Just having some issues here with law, mine moves too much they say.

Check out my video

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
You've got some weird laws in NZ:eek:
You're seat back definitely moves WAY too much. Went out and checked my Aspen and it moves roughly an inch. For the heck of it, checked my '96 Dakota (also has buckets) and it's about the same. On the other hand, my '08 Mustang doesn't have any free play at all.

Check to be sure the seat frame isn't broken. Assuming your seat is similar, there should be a spring loaded stop on the bottom of the seat back. Another possible spot for play is the hinge pivots if the bolts or holes in the hinge arms are worn.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Here are some pics,I bent cover up to see how it works, it's riveted together so will need grinder to get apart.

15630483794501052870108.jpg
1563048402794412031396.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Pay attention if you pull those apart, I would think they can be repaired it seams at some point have done a pair or two.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well I see my assumption was wrong.:oops: Your seats are not similar to an F-body bucket. Mine just have shouldered bolts that attach the seat backs to the cushions which also act as the hinge pivot pin.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That looks about normal, same as the seat in my Aspen and Dakota. "The law" should be satisfied with what you've got. hopefully.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Although NZ is more English than American we still do all the same stuff! We all love our welders, grunt grunt! :D There is an Aussie movie called "Young Eisenstein" I always remember he was in an out house toilet trying to work out how to put bubbles into beer, he worked out you need to split the atom to put bubbles in, you hear him say "where is that chisel", hear the clink of a hammer and then the out house explodes :) He split that atom hahahaha walks out black and burnt holding a glass of beer with lots of bubbles!

Last edited:

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Just looking at this now. I have a question. The issue was that the seatbacks, moved forward? going from memory, the backs flip forward freely, accept when the car is braking. Isn't there some kind of pendulum, that only locks up at that time? Older cars, starting in the '60's , had latches, that had to be manually released.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I believe by the early '70's, they all had manual releases. Although, I had a '76 Ford Elite (one of two non-Mopar's I've ever owned) back in the 1980's and it had electric latches. The seat back would pivot forward freely with the doors open. When you closed the door, you'd hear a "CLICK" from the latch solenoid, and the seat back was locked in position. Open the door and "CLICK" it would release the latch.
On the opposite side of that, my dad's '62 Fury has no latches at all. The seat backs are free to pivot forward at any time. Not exactly the safest thing in the world, especially with lap belts only and non-collapsing steering column (and 10" manual drum brakes). Yikes.......

Back