Craftsman tools at Lowes

80mirada

Reaction score
Advanced Auto is dropping Gearwrench, for a new "house" brand. Snap-on has gotten out of control with their prices. Many of the tools are the same as the Williams (USA) stuff, they just keep the latest versions as Snap-on. Now there are tons of well made tools on the market for much less cash, most unfortunately are imports

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I bought a set of ratchet adapters for tapping from snap on and one would not stay tight. Made in China, that's the only thing I have of snap on that's made in China that I know of.

Aspen500

Reaction score
IMO, Advance Auto sucks (getting off topic slightly). The store next to work used to be Carquest and they seemed to always have everything we needed in stock, even the oddball little things like special clips or fittings. Hell, they even had a master cylinder IN STOCK for a 1960 Rambler American a couple years ago (of all things). Now were lucky if they have brake pads for a 2010 Impala. Since Advance took over, they have to run to the Wausau 17th Ave store (20+ miles north) all the time which, depending on traffic and time of day, could be anywhere from 45 minutes to an 1 1/2 hours, or we wait for the loop truck to come from the warehouse in Marshfield and 10:00am or again at 1pm and it sucks. The store manager is helpless to do much about it. Some pencil pusher at Advance HQ, who doesn't have a clue, decided what store stocks what and NOT the local manager. Nobody gets more irritated and upset about it than he does (the store manager). If you want fuzzy dice, chrome doodads, wax or snacks you're all set. If you want actual car parts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, maybe Corporate will get a clue at some point. All they had to do was look back at what the store sold all the time when it was Carquest and use that to stock the store but nooooooooooooo, they know better.:mad: There is a NAPA nearby work but, it's all the way on the other side of town so we don't use them that often. So now some 90 day wonder is doing away with Gearwrench? Probably replace it with some crap line.:mad:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The last time I was at the local Advance it was 60 outside and 85 in the store, the heat was on the person behind the counter said the thermostat was controlled by HQ and he couldn't turn the heat down.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The last time I was at the local Advance it was 60 outside and 85 in the store, the heat was on the person behind the counter said the thermostat was controlled by HQ and he couldn't turn the heat down.

Sounds about right. Advance Auto took an excellent parts store and turned it into crap. It's like they don't have a clue. I take that back. They just plain DON'T have a clue at HQ. Our store manager is frustrated as all hell because there's not a damn thing he can do about it. It's like all the complaints and concerns fall on deaf ears and he isn't the only manager that feels this way. Maybe Advance will wake up and get with the program sometime, I sure hope so.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I wouldn't wipe my ass with anything they sell in Advanced. Used to be able to get quality clamps and other odds and ends, but now they don't carry name brands or anything that isn't the lowest possible common denominator. Nothing but an outlet for the cheapest of Chinese products. The waste oil tank was also conveniently full every time I had oil to get rid of. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever shop there again. The O'Reilly's is five miles further down the road and I'll happily make the longer drive to go there.

Back