Cuban mopars

slant6billy

Reaction score
Just saw the National news with David Muir reporting from Cuba

He asked the motorheads' ultimate inquiring minds want to know?

What are the pre 1961 American cars worth? Cuba has a bunch.

He rolled up on a 53 Plymouth Convertible...... power by a Mercedes engine.

His answer.... 20 grand.

I CALL BULLSHIT. No way a hacked up, Russian sourced benz, powered Plymouth gona do those $$$ numbers. Imagine the cost to ship it to the states? DOUBLE BULLSHIT!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Not a chance....
Now granted....a lot of them are in beautiful shape...
But it's basically a butchered rolling shell due to the fact that it's been butchered to shit.

But I'd bet someone with more money than brains would pay that.. there is a rarity factor to consider too. How many old Mopar shells are rolling around in nice shape of that vintage.
I haven't seen the car you're talking about but body wise there's a lot of sheet metal in very good shape over there.

Would I pay it? No.
Would someone with shitloads of money pay it and then pay more to have it restored?......maybe.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It was obvious it was going to happen.
Cuba= Preserved sheet metal.
As soon as the door opens Cuba won't have as many classics.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
A few years ago I went to Cuba, for a holiday, but I wanted to check out the cars. If one doesn't know much, perhaps they look good. But get close, and they are pretty crude. Drivetrains can be anything, fenders are frequently incorrect.Out of the perhaps, hundred cars that I looked at, only one, a 56 Chev, was in good shape. As for the rest, they were neat to see, but wouldn't even make decent parts cars, in North America.

greymouser7

Reaction score
It was obvious it was going to happen.
Cuba= Preserved sheet metal.
As soon as the door opens Cuba won't have as many classics.

Those Cubans are doing something to keep the sheet metal good, in this warm, sea-breeze, it plays hell on our cars and wiring under the dash. It is 564 miles from me to Key West as the wheel turns, & then only 90 miles as the fish swims. I have that same environment and NO ONE on base since 1999 has been able to maintain clear coat, base coat, or prevent rust as far as I see in a parking lot of 80% of people that rotate every 3-8 years. Every car with a few years has what looks like melting snow-which is really disintegrating clear coat paint. Ever since we took the lead and zinc chromate out of the paint & have not tweaked the chemistry...

greymouser7

Reaction score
Those Cubans might be doing good body work, or you look under the skirt and leave the whole damn dance in disgust. I bet people will get disappointed when they look under the skirt.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Those Cubans are doing something to keep the sheet metal good, in this warm, sea-breeze, it plays hell on our cars and wiring under the dash. It is 564 miles from me to Key West as the wheel turns, & then only 90 miles as the fish swims. I have that same environment and NO ONE on base since 1999 has been able to maintain clear coat, base coat, or prevent rust as far as I see in a parking lot of 80% of people that rotate every 3-8 years. Every car with a few years has what looks like melting snow-which is really disintegrating clear coat paint. Ever since we took the lead and zinc chromate out of the paint & have not tweaked the chemistry...

It's the tree hugging bastards.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A few years ago I went to Cuba, for a holiday, but I wanted to check out the cars. If one doesn't know much, perhaps they look good. But get close, and they are pretty crude. Drivetrains can be anything, fenders are frequently incorrect.Out of the perhaps, hundred cars that I looked at, only one, a 56 Chev, was in good shape. As for the rest, they were neat to see, but wouldn't even make decent parts cars, in North America.

I figured that might be the case.
They look pretty in tourist photos but who knows what's going on with it.......never been myself.

greymouser7

Reaction score

How the heck did you go to Cuba!? Is that like a Canadian privilege cause your country doesn't piss anyone off!?!

Mcfly68

Reaction score
We can even buy Cuban cigars here....legally...at just about any smoke shop ( I have cohiba and guantanamera's in my humidor right now actually)...we have never had a trade embargo with cuba and are free to travel there.

greymouser7

Reaction score
you'd think I was living under a rock or a wave, in a tiny room, kept away from the public or something

-reminds me of the way my grand father used to answer telemarketers: "hehlwoo? >>sales pitch, pause ask<<, they don't let me out much, pause, >flush.<

I never knew Canadians could go there, in over thirty years I am just now learning this.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
We can even buy Cuban cigars here....legally...at just about any smoke shop ( I have cohiba and guantanamera's in my humidor right now actually)...we have never had a trade embargo with cuba and are free to travel there.

We definitely get some beautiful cigars here.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
greymouser7:

Why would you think US sanctions/trade embargo would apply to Canadians? Its not like Canadian health care allows Americans to visit our hospitals (at least not legally, anyway)? Not trying to be an asshole, but things in Canada are not always the same as they are in the US. Things in Canada aren't even the same all across the country (see Quebec legal system, for example).

Kostas

greymouser7

Reaction score
I never put much thought past the visualization of an embargo that prevented most anything getting into Cuba. Not that I think things are the same between the two countries, just that I wasn't sure/aware of the depth of the embargo. Every time I see a visualization of Cuba, it appears to have not economically progressed, if any thing gone a step or two backwards than pics of the 50's.

I always wanted to see the water right next to Cuba, but don't think that I would be allowed in my life time. I am not blaiming my TV perception, my Nebraska/submarine isolation, just not enough info about how they lived or operated or anything about the life of the Cubans without some long drawn out shit about the missile crisis.

The really foolish thought that I have is that I think in the waters of Cuba is the remains of atlantis! Have you ever seen those large square blocks of stone laid out like a road just a few feet under water in the Caribbean?

greymouser7

Reaction score
another thought, if our two countries share the ability to extradite anybody together, would it not be possible that they would unite in a ban of travel-I have never heard of Canadians going to Cuba, or anyone else going to Cuba. I knew there must have been some sort of travel, people travel thru Russia, china, Mongolia, Syria, -but even in the news the muslim countries captured the wife of an extremist-alleged terrorist, she wasn't one, and she wasn't traveling to an enemy country, or to one of our outstanding allies, but they locked her away like it was the American gov's wishes.

Last edited:
Back