Dash Rattle

Justwondering

Reaction score
So as I'm driving the Fifth Avenue, I start hearing a rattle. I can make it quit if I squeeze the front of the dash directly above the speedometer.

I can feel dried, brittle foam on the underside of the top edge. So I am guessing this is a problem of aged foam and uneven road.

Is there a temporary fix for this or do I need to schedule quality time to pull the dash and replace that foam? The dash itself front and top are in excellent shape so I don't want to funk up anything and cause problems for myself later.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Just an observation ... but when I pulled the dash top off on my F body I had a speed nut missing .. right over the speedo .. no rattle tho ??

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It could be a few things. There's a metal frame on the dash pad.

20160116_092525-1.jpg

One of the nuts could be loose. Or it could be it's rattling against the cluster bezel.

There's a whole pile of screws under the pad and around the bezel that hold it in place. You could try tightening those. Just don't go crazy because the bezel is old plastic and you don't want to crack it by torquing the screws too tight.

It could also be something rattling inside which you might be able to see if you take the bezel off. The only tricky part about that is wiggling the bezel out without bending it too much. I found dropping the shifter down to 1st makes it easier.

Back