Do I have reason to be concerned?

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
As you can see from the picture I have some leakage going on from the blue box .. how bad could this get? should I be concerned ... I just noticed it so I have no timeline on it. Thanks all
001.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen brand new modules, still in the box, do that.

It comes down to the quality of the “goo” mix that day and/or the attentiveness of the worker mixing the “goo” (4:45pm on Friday night, etc.).

I would not get worried about it at all – except for the cleanup. That “goo” sometimes can be a ___, err, really fun to remove/cleanup.

Note: it doesn’t hurt to have a spare module with you – which you should have as well as a few hand tools, in your trunk, just in case.

Would I change it. No, not for that.
BudW

slant6billy

Reaction score
The ignition box (in your picture), Voltage regulator on the firewall, EGR controller (if you have one on the firewall) all will electronically "Sweat" like that. That is potting material. There is a drip/ run mark on almost all mopars from where this happens. My dad's theory was to run a series of ground wire back to the battery (-) neg from the box mount screws. I daisychain a good 10ga wire from my volt reg box to my ignition box to the batt neg. The paint on the inner fenders/ rust proofing/ age will cause an increase in resistance to ground. This cause slight heat rise in the electronics (more than desired, but not terrible). Loss of ground connection will have and have had many folks chasing problems (running/ charging systems). Keep a few ignition boxes and a few voltage regulators in an old lunch box. I recommend testing them. I had a chinese one fail out of the box.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks everyone .... BudW .. the previous owner had a spare box he gave me .. I got to dig it out and keep it in the car .. slant6billy .... I now know what my next project will be, I have some spare 12g wire .. would that be heavy enough? I do hope that's the fix.
I've seen some ign. boxes that looked like they puked all the sealer out, my concern was if mine was going to slowly do that also.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it would act up much, if any at all.

Those modules run fairly warm and if wet, - they wouldn’t stay wet for long.

The only risk would be if the circuit board moved and allowed a short circuit to module shell (which is unlikely sense wiring holds it in place as well as internal ground wire) OR if circuit board touched chassis – which is also unlikely.

Also, paint kinda is an insulator to a certain extent.

Other than the “goo” drips, I wouldn’t worry about it – unless you show car off at car shows a lot.

Deconstructor Jim:
About how many cars do you dissemble a year and about how long does it take you to complete one?
Do you concentrate on F only, F&M only, or what?
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
"Back in the day" it was almost standard practice to put a ground wire on the voltage regulator. It fixed many charging system concerns. The regulator grounds through the case and using just the fasteners for ground is kind of iffy, especially when the car got a few years on it.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks ... it's not a show car by any means .. I just don't want it to look like Fbody's example, and if grounds stop it from further leakages .. great !! I know newer cars benefit from extra grounds .. never thought it for older cars tho. The '81 J body I looked at before this car had all 3, 1 fender 2 firewall modules all melted out.

volare 77

Reaction score
As stated in a previous post, I have had them leak out when they were stored in my attic so I`m not sure the ground issue is causing them to melt.

Back