does anyone here own a fully optioned load runner or dodge sport wagon

armataz

Reaction score
as a sales gimmick to gain the interest of younger set.
dodge and plymouth added the volare' road runner's fender flares, hood scoop and chin spoiler to the aspen wagon and volare' wagon
I have only seen bad pictures, and none that showed the actual load runner or sport wagon graphics.
I'm just wondering what they actually looked like fully optioned and what badging they had.
thanks

armataz

Reaction score
this one is not fully optioned but gives an idea of what I'm talking about, thats the volare' road runner in the back ground.
1644452731968.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '79 parts catalog calls it "Youth utility suburban". The only graphics shown in the parts catalog for both the Aspen and Volare, are the ones in your photo. Dealer brochure shows the same as the photo also, which is the same one you posted. Aspen brochure also, just those stripes, if that helps any.

armataz

Reaction score
1644468593159.png

The '79 parts catalog calls it "Youth utility suburban". The only graphics shown in the parts catalog for both the Aspen and Volare, are the ones in your photo. Dealer brochure shows the same as the photo also, which is the same one you posted. Aspen brochure also, just those stripes, if that helps any.
thanks thats a start any way. I know there was a add campaign using the name load runner. I remember it had a wider side stripe and a hood scoop. I want to say there was a pair of fade away stripes on the hood as well that were bold coming up from the directionals and faded as the valley narrows and flattens out . but maybe those were additional options to make it look cooler for the add?

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is a good as it gets, the special front air dam, the small flares in front of the rear wheels.

The decal layout it specific to these cars, the side are semi common and the rear lift gate decal is specific but doesnt scream out like you think.

I have a good vintage picture of the maroon version but its watermarked from another site so I cant post it here.

RD.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's a regular wagon that's been modified with paint, R/T badges and plastic tape on scoops.. No such thing as an R/T wagon. Looks good though.

armataz

Reaction score
thanks,
I dont know about the scoops, if they are plastic or fiberglass, taped or stud mounted (I know they are similar. but not the same as mine).
but I agree with this being not right.
being fully awake this morning, I see the grill is not correct. it's gloss black, and also covers the directional lens, the true R/T should be matt black and just cover the grill.
but it has theroad runners solid lower decal stripe and side badge, but is missing the aspen badging and R/t body kit

I read in the Aspen sales brochure, that you could order them as copo. the only restriction I saw listed was the car had to be either a 318 or 360.
in my owners manual the 383 was also listed as an engine option for the wagon, but I have not seen that in real life either.
so I do not know that a G/T does not exist. up till a few months ago I dint know the load runner (road runner optioned wagon) existed.
thats why I started this thread to see if any one had either one of these wagons fully optioned.
it would separate myth from reality. the comments and knowledge is always appreciated. I cant learn if my mind is closed.
found a better pic. and I can see the lower stripe is painted on, and the rear defuser is painted to match it.
sorry. I dint see the water marks. is this picture not allowed?
1644518275446.png

Last edited:

kmccabe56

Reaction score
Here is a good as it gets, the special front air dam, the small flares in front of the rear wheels.

The decal layout it specific to these cars, the side are semi common and the rear lift gate decal is specific but doesnt scream out like you think.

I have a good vintage picture of the maroon version but its watermarked from another site so I cant post it here.

View attachment 46300

kmccabe56

Reaction score
This is the only white Sportwagon I know about. It's a 318, console and floor shift. It also wears the optional all aluminum wheels. Note these wheels had the cast areas painted gold for Sportwagons only. On all other cars the cast areas are painted grey. I have an extensive collection of photos of it. I believe it sold to someone in the New England area and haven't seen or heard of it since.

My '80 Sportwagon is a U.S. spec 318, A/C, column shift car with the stock styled stamped steel wheels. My '79 Sportwagon is a Canadian spec 360-2v, also with column shift and it's own, different than '80 styled stamped steel wheels. I've only ever seen one photo of a Volare Sportwagon and it was in a wrecking yard. It was a /6 car and looked like someone tried to jump a ditch with it. The car was bent at the cowl. I've check Aspen Sportwagon numbers. There were 254 '79s sold in Canada and the U.S. There were 80 1980 Aspen Sportwagons sold in Canada and the U.S. I haven't checked Volare Sportwagon numbers.

The yellow and orange tape stripes on the cars are common to both Plymouth and Dodge, the only differences being the grilles on the outside. Yellow/orange tape stripe is available at most body supply businesses.

Sportwagons were available with any engine/transmission combination available on a regular stationwagon. There was at least one 1979 E58 Sportwagon built. It has been wrecked but I have the fender tag from it as well as photo. It's not possible to determine engine/transmission installations on these cars.

Cars were available in vintage red, white, a nasty brown/gold colour and I believe, black. Bucket seats were standard and I believe the trim code for the seats on a Sportwagon is unique to these cars.
Any option not related to exterior colour, or seat choice is available. This includes belt mouldings, window frame mouldings, luggage rack, light package, rear deflector and of course all the power and HVAC options, even tilt and cruise. Technically the only available molding on the side of the car that was available was the rub strip to fend of parking lot dings and marks. No other mouldings on the sides of the car or the rear were available.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
The white one is cool, ive a few sets of the decals but they are spoken for by the few I know with wagons in the wait.

2010_10061970Cougar0106.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0067.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0096.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0075.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0073.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0052.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0018.jpg

2010_10061970Cougar0019.jpg

armataz

Reaction score
This is the only white Sportwagon I know about. It's a 318, console and floor shift. It also wears the optional all aluminum wheels. Note these wheels had the cast areas painted gold for Sportwagons only. On all other cars the cast areas are painted grey. I have an extensive collection of photos of it. I believe it sold to someone in the New England area and haven't seen or heard of it since.

My '80 Sportwagon is a U.S. spec 318, A/C, column shift car with the stock styled stamped steel wheels. My '79 Sportwagon is a Canadian spec 360-2v, also with column shift and it's own, different than '80 styled stamped steel wheels. I've only ever seen one photo of a Volare Sportwagon and it was in a wrecking yard. It was a /6 car and looked like someone tried to jump a ditch with it. The car was bent at the cowl. I've check Aspen Sportwagon numbers. There were 254 '79s sold in Canada and the U.S. There were 80 1980 Aspen Sportwagons sold in Canada and the U.S. I haven't checked Volare Sportwagon numbers.

The yellow and orange tape stripes on the cars are common to both Plymouth and Dodge, the only differences being the grilles on the outside. Yellow/orange tape stripe is available at most body supply businesses.

Sportwagons were available with any engine/transmission combination available on a regular stationwagon. There was at least one 1979 E58 Sportwagon built. It has been wrecked but I have the fender tag from it as well as photo. It's not possible to determine engine/transmission installations on these cars.

Cars were available in vintage red, white, a nasty brown/gold colour and I believe, black. Bucket seats were standard and I believe the trim code for the seats on a Sportwagon is unique to these cars.
Any option not related to exterior colour, or seat choice is available. This includes belt mouldings, window frame mouldings, luggage rack, light package, rear deflector and of course all the power and HVAC options, even tilt and cruise. Technically the only available molding on the side of the car that was available was the rub strip to fend of parking lot dings and marks. No other mouldings on the sides of the car or the rear were available.
thank you this is verry helpful.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Beautiful rides.
I showed them to my husband and he said I will never, ever, ever be allowed to have one.

I bit. Why, I asked.

'Because, you would never keep it clean and it would always have a feed bucket and a 50 pd sack of cattle cubes or horse feed in it. When the guys on the forum found out about that, they would kick you off the website. If you get
kicked off the website, you'll start buying more yarn and go back to handwork. Since there is no space left to store
the yarn, I repeat ... you may never, ever have one of those beautiful rides'

JW
(I'll just continue to lurk in the shadows..)

Darter6

Reaction score
^^^^^ Hey no problem with that.Wagons were meant to haul !

armataz

Reaction score
Beautiful rides.
I showed them to my husband and he said I will never, ever, ever be allowed to have one.

I bit. Why, I asked.

'Because, you would never keep it clean and it would always have a feed bucket and a 50 pd sack of cattle cubes or horse feed in it. When the guys on the forum found out about that, they would kick you off the website. If you get
kicked off the website, you'll start buying more yarn and go back to handwork. Since there is no space left to store
the yarn, I repeat ... you may never, ever have one of those beautiful rides'

JW
(I'll just continue to lurk in the shadows..)
LOL, tell your hubby, these arnt cars. they are wagons. which are now classified as an SUV. they are meant to work for a living. not just shlep people back and forth to work.
so using as they are meant to be used would earn you a badge of respect. ;-)
edit:
he probably would just be jelous that you can get more use out of your wagon. so he dont want you to show him up. LOL

Back