EFI to carb

mopops

Reaction score
i have an 81 imp i want to convert to carb, can anyone help me with what needs to be done ?. tks

Remow2112

Reaction score
I can't find a picture of how the FI worked on that era car. If it is TBI you might be able to reuse the intake. But the best bet is to replace the intake manifold, probably the distributor and either a fuel pressure regulator to get the fuel pressure down to 5 - 7 lbs for a carb or turn off the factory fuel pump and get an electric in line that is made for carbs.

That is best I can do without better details. If you want to post pics of the engine with the FI in place I might be able to tell you more. I also don't know how the computer worked to control the FI. But that early if you disconnect it I doubt you would have an issue. HTH.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Somewhere on this site is a thread dealing with the Imp EFI to carb swap. IIRC, you need the carb and manifold, a non computer controlled ignition system of your choice (either tock Mopar or aftermarket) , and low pressure fuel system. I can't recall how the in tank pump is turned on (computer controlled or just a separate key switched relay) Either way, it'd be easy to wire a relay to the key on power ckt and then of course, a fuel pressure regulator for 7 psi max. It should be a return style regulator where the excess goes back to the tank and doesn't dead head the electric pump. From what I recall, the gauges will work but none of the trip computer type things will function anymore. There are also the required wire harness mods.

Last edited:

mopops

Reaction score
I can't find a picture of how the FI worked on that era car. If it is TBI you might be able to reuse the intake. But the best bet is to replace the intake manifold, probably the distributor and either a fuel pressure regulator to get the fuel pressure down to 5 - 7 lbs for a carb or turn off the factory fuel pump and get an electric in line that is made for carbs.

That is best I can do without better details. If you want to post pics of the engine with the FI in place I might be able to tell you more. I also don't know how the computer worked to control the FI. But that early if you disconnect it I doubt you would have an issue. HTH.
will send pics when i get the car

mopops

Reaction score
Somewhere on this site is a thread dealing with the Imp EFI to carb swap. IIRC, you need the carb and manifold, a non computer controlled ignition system of your choice (either tock Mopar or aftermarket) , and low pressure fuel system. I can't recall how the in tank pump is turned on (computer controlled or just a separate key switched relay) Either way, it'd be easy to wire a relay to the key on power ckt and then of course, a fuel pressure regulator for 7 psi max. It should be a return style regulator where the excess goes back to the tank and doesn't dead head the electric pump. From what I recall, the gauges will work but none of the trip computer type things will function anymore. There are also the required wire harness mods.
i been dealing with buying this car for 3 months n should have it this wk end. i get bits n pieces of info. i figured the info is here ,just don't know where. hope some one will see my post and lead me to the wright up tks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The Imperial 318 TBI intake is also the same intake used on Dodge pickup TBI engines (pre-Magnum), and uses an odd staggered-bolt (not squared) throttle body.
318 TBI Gasket.jpg

There is a member of my car club that has a couple of J-body Imperials. One vehicle, he has kept the FI in place but got the electronics from a TBI (non-Magnum) Dodge pickup and put the engine computer behind grill/in-front of condenser) and is almost hidden. He has said it is a very smooth running car now. His other car was a factory 2-bbl conversion. I asked and he said the updated FI car drives very well.

If I was going to remove (and replace) an intake, I would want to go back with an aluminum version - for installing a heavy cast iron intake, in an over-extended position, is back breaking. That means going 4-bbl aftermarket.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I had a friend who installed his intake on his 390 FE Foed PU with an engine crane. I would not be surprised if it weighed 65 lbs. but there’s no reason you couldn’t use one on a smaller V8….

mopops

Reaction score
I had a friend who installed his intake on his 390 FE Foed PU with an engine crane. I would not be surprised if it weighed 65 lbs. but there’s no reason you couldn’t use one on a smaller V8….
hope to have some young blood avaliable tks

mopops

Reaction score
The Imperial 318 TBI intake is also the same intake used on Dodge pickup TBI engines (pre-Magnum), and uses an odd staggered-bolt (not squared) throttle body.
View attachment 46856

There is a member of my car club that has a couple of J-body Imperials. One vehicle, he has kept the FI in place but got the electronics from a TBI (non-Magnum) Dodge pickup and put the engine computer behind grill/in-front of condenser) and is almost hidden. He has said it is a very smooth running car now. His other car was a factory 2-bbl conversion. I asked and he said the updated FI car drives very well.

If I was going to remove (and replace) an intake, I would want to go back with an aluminum version - for installing a heavy cast iron intake, in an over-extended position, is back breaking. That means going 4-bbl aftermarket.
BudW
i dont think i am smart enough to do the TBI, and i have a dist, carb, gaskets n some help. i just need the manifold. yards are 3hrs away each way so if i can get one shipped to me thats a big deal tks and being color blind doesen't help

Back