F Body floor shift steering column & 4 spd hump

My imp

Reaction score
I recently purchased a floor shift column, hump, pedals & linkages for an Aspen off of eBay. I was told they were the same pedals used on all other FMJ cars. The column & hump appear to be from an A body. Are they the same as an A? As the column is nothing like my Imp.'s column. The hump has the same oval cutout as my 70 Duster 4 spd had. Will this work on the Imp? If not, l'll be brightening somebody's day! Thanks, Larry.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I cannot find my pictures of the 4 spd pedal assembly I had from a 79 Aspen. I do remember there were some bolting / mounting points identical under the column/ dash to the automatic brake pedal assembly. There were two additional bolts on a small bracket 2 to 3 inches, that mounted on the firewall (engine side), behind the master brake booster. These went to a flange/ brace for the clutch pedal assembly. There were 2 dimples in the firewall (they need to be drilled/ punched through) when adding the pedals. Perhaps one of the members can add some pictures to help you out with pics from a 4 speed F body.

My imp

Reaction score
On the steering column; the entire tube is round, it has the interlock lever on top, & there's no dimmer switch on the column. The column for the Imp has the dimmer on the turn signal stalk, has a bulge for the turn signal arm, & has no lever for column interlock. I saw an Aspen R/T that uses that column & hump. I have enough parts to build a steering column, however, I don't know if that's the right hump for an Imperial conversion from column shift auto to floor shift standard. What shape shifter hole has anyone used on a Mirada, or Cordoba conversion? Should I be using an F Body floor hump? Or an M, or what? Thanks, Larry

BHA43

Reaction score
Sounds like the column came from an early pre 79 with dimmer on the floor, does an Imp use the same floor pan as a F? I think you are in for maybe quite a bit of fabricating to put a stick in an Imp. since it wasn't avail. but should be able to do it with stock Mopar stuff & some ingenuity! There are prob some pics of a stock F hump on Eric's site in the 4 speed carpet thread! Good luck & it will be unique!

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
F body floor hump:

100_1091.jpg
DSC05052.jpg

Its similar to an A hump and I've been told the A can be used with modifications.

DSC05052.jpg

100_1091.jpg

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
80 was the only year I've seen of the F bodies with the HL dimmer on the stalk. F and M floors were pretty much the same through at least 80 and I imagine they didnt change much thru the end of the run. The M was really an F, with a different skin!
You cant really easily use an A body column in an F/M, a lot of differences in length, mounting, wiring harnesses, etc. You can though, with some work, use a 77 F column in a 72 A :toothy10:

100_0745.jpg

100_0745.jpg

My imp

Reaction score
Thanks one & all. The hump I have is for an F body, I already had one for an A. This one is different. I have an '88 LeBaron convertible which uses the same configuration as the Imp's column. I believe I can strip the parts needed & graft them to a stock column shift from my Imperial. I still need a Z bar & mounts for the linkage. Much as I'd like to stay stock, I believe if I'm to use a console, I may have to fab one up, unless someone knows of a console that will fit between the stock seats w/a 4 spd offset hump. The Passon 5 spd looks promising, has anyone used one yet? What are the costs of his tranny's? Thanks again, Larry

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yes sir Decon, to the right of the non power master cylinder is that bracket with 2 bolts through the fire wall I was talking about. The one bolt is at the 8 o'clock position on the circle hole and the other is at the 11 o'clock spot. I do have a suggestion or thought here that someone may have addressed or attempted. How about a hydrolic clutch set up? I saw a cheap one on line to convert a z bar to, thus getting rid of that contraption. I know the Z bar I took off a 79 aspen came right off the frame without tools! Is or isn't there a hoop or hole in the frame to grab the bar? If you are going for a non factory deal (and it sounds like you want function more than factory look alike), perhaps hydro clutch is an option? I personally would try the hydro kit, since it is meant to go where a clutch never was.

My imp

Reaction score
Yessir, Considering that if I pull this off, I'll have the only BB, 4 spd, T-Top, Imperial. I would prefer a hydraulic to manual clutch. Does anyone know if there's a console to fit a 4 spd like this? I have one out of my '72 Charger, but as rare as the 4 spd consoles are (not to mention that it would probably look rediculous in an Imperial), I'd like to keep it for the Charger. Where does the shifter mount on the Passon tranny's? If it's like a top loader (no offset), then any console would work. I know that a lot of these ?'s are uncharted territory, however, that's why these forums exist. To help each other over hurdles. Many thanks, Larry
T

Back