Fan recommendations?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a good flex fan that'll fit? I want to junk the clutch fan. I have an electric fan laying around with those clips that go through the radiator, but the thought of hanging it through the expensive to replace original radiator makes me cringe.

Camtron

Reaction score
I don’t but, only because it will hurt what little power my engine makes, lol. Clutch fan saves you the most parasitic power loss; plus way quiet in comparison.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Oh no, you mean my 35 year old 200,000+ mile engine might make 10hp less? What ever shall I do with 130 horses that I couldn't do with 140? (Joking)

But seriously, I just want something simple and reliable. The fan clutch isn't engaging right and if I'm spending money I'd rather just chuck it and get a regular fan.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Simple and reliable is a clutch fan. There's more to electric fans that can go wrong.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Simple and reliable is a clutch fan. There's more to electric fans that can go wrong.
I want to ditch the clutch fan and have a flex fan that runs at the same speed as the water pump. So just a regular old old school fan. If i was gonna go electric I'd use the one I have laying around

69-

Reaction score
Would go for a fixed fan.
Just had to replace the clutch in my 99 SL500... fixed fan cools always'

Camtron

Reaction score
Just order a flex fan. They’re all about the same and have the same issues. I’d order one that’s made out of one solid piece, probably a plastic and avoid ones made out of multiple pieces of materials riveted together. With aftermarket part quality lately, they’re basically just shrapnel bombs waiting to explode under load/vibration.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Alright, point taken. Any thoughts on a thermal vs non thermal clutch?

Camtron

Reaction score
Thermal tends to be a little better in cold climates because it lets the car warm up with less cooling from the fan. Non thermal is cheaper and will normally last longer but, will make the car stay colder longer at start up so, typically not preferred if the cars being driven in cold weather.

Aspen500

Reaction score
JMO but I'd stick with a thermal fan clutch.

They're only $5-$10 more than nonthermal and work better, especially as mentioned, in colder weather.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I used my Advance points and bought a fancy clutch fan. Looks the the old one was clogged with so much sand that I don't think the spring could move if it wanted to. Man, did this fan roar to life at temp. Guy at the Advance counter said they didn't have a fan that would fit. I had to give him the part number.
20230514_140034.jpg20230514_152849.jpgScreenshot_20230514_154256_Chrome.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Advance catalog the stores use pretty much sucks, especially for vehicles made before 2000 or so. It's what Advance corporate gives them to use. Unfortunately, most other part store companies aren't a whole lot better.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The Advance catalog the stores use pretty much sucks, especially for vehicles made before 2000 or so. It's what Advance corporate gives them to use. Unfortunately, most other part store companies aren't a whole lot better.
What was weird about it is their website says it fits but the computer in the store said they had no fans in stock for an 87 Diplomat

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
At least they list stuff. Up here north of the border only one chain lists parts and prices and even when you put your vehicle in it comes back with psrts for everything and not even the part you're looking for. Brake pads for a diplomat can come back as a starter relay for a VW

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I like to think that I'm messing with their algorithms every time I search for parts. Because I would think these car part chains keep track of how many times people search for X type of car.

Back