Fiberglass bumper

Mopar4ever

Reaction score
I know this has been ask before but has anyone found a place that makes fiberglass bumpers for the 79 Volare. I have not been able to find anyone. I am trying to loose about 400 pounds from my car to get in the 11-second range in the ¼ mile. I think I could loose about 200 pounds by putting fiberglass bumpers and hood on my car. I do not want to gut the car because Ienjoy driving it on the road but I also want an 11 second car. Any help on finding bumpers would be appreciated.

Last edited:

9secRR

Reaction score
how deep in the 11's do you want to go? 11.0's or 11.80's? big difference. what's the weight of your car?

what's your current set up? motor, trans, diff....... I gutted my from bumper. it was 30 lbs that I stripped out and I could have taken more lbs off.

a few years back, I had a very mild stroker in my 3800 lbs R/T, I ran 12.0's @ 116 mph. that was with 3.55 gears

Mopar4ever

Reaction score
I would just like to be around 11.80. Not sure of the weight right now but it has never been stripped of anything. I did add some weight by adding beefy frame connectors. I ran 12.40 with bad slicks that spun off the line. I am going to get new slicks and I figured getting traction and loosing 400 pounds I would be there. It has a 451-stroker motor, 727 trans with manual valve body and 3500-stall converter and 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

9secRR

Reaction score
what was your 60'?

dropping 400 pounds will mean a lot of gutting. inner fenders, racing buckets, wipers, heater, stereo, underlay...........

I would wait to see what your new slicks will do. instead of stripping and gutting, slap a 50-75 hp shot of NOS. cheap to run also. $500 bucks and you will be running better the 11.80's!

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Talk to member BHA43, I've talked to him about bumpers before. He makes excellent quality SuperCoupe flairs and RoadRunner flairs as well as spoilers.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
what about pulling the carpet up and removing all the sound deading, and layin the carpet back down (since you wanna keep a complete interior).

its not gonna loose weight, but what if you relocate the battery to the trunk? itll get the weight off the nose and help with weight distribution

Mopar4ever

Reaction score
I am talking to BHA43, thanks for the help, he may be hooking me up.
I was thinking of relocating the battery and replacing the bench seat with light weight bucket seats as well. It is always difficult to keep it stock looking and streetable while wanting to race it.

Back