First Time Replacing Hoses - Questions

Justwondering

Reaction score
pictures are coming.
I started stripping the finish off a 4 drawer dresser and a coffee table and keep having to stop about noon each day due to the sun/heat.

I'll post picts after I get back out there at 7. Photos after it gets dark and I come back in.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I took pictures of lots of things.
But its hot and I'm just tired of all the honey-do's around here. Bleh!

I just finished changing the high pressure power steering line in the Dually. Made a classic rookie mistake. I just laughed outloud when I figured out how 'smart' I was.

Too funny.

Take off the high pressure hose top side fitting. Pretty easy. Dirty, nasty black.
Take off the bottom fitting and its no room to work, too dark to see, and my kicking it new work platform is too tall for me to stand and work on it. So I'm still bent over like quasimodo trying to get an open end wrench on it -- 1/4 turn at a time till I get the thing backed off and disconnected.

Before I put the new one on, I cut a 3 foot line of hose and put it on the return nozzle after getting the low pressure hose end off it. Might as well flush the fluid.

Check underneath and it is 1/4 inch thick of gunk on everything.. road grime and power steering fluid. Scrap off most of it I could get to. Try to get a wrench from underneath on the bottom fitting. Aint' gonna happen. Dang.

Back to the top, put the new high pressure hose on, slowly tighten everything making sure I hand thread and don't cross thread anything (good lesson I remember from the chrysler condenser).

Top it with fluid, start it up, push on the brakes, can't hardly turn the wheel, count to 3, shut it down.

There is huge power steering leak. OMG. what have I done to this poor truck?

Check everything. Wipe everything down. Put clean paper towels around so I can figure out where the leak is coming from. Strange that there is no fluid in my 3 foot line I put on. Hmmm

Top it off, start it up, etc, shut it down and it is spewing fluid all over my 2nd piece of cardboard. Dang. None of the paper towels are red with fluid. No fluid from the 3 foot hose. Whats up with that?

Sit in the chair with the fan blowing on me and check the temp (real feel is 105 and no breeze except for the box fan - yea!).

Husband comes out to check on progress. Commiserates on my leak. Put him at the wheel while I watch for the leak. Top it off, he starts it up, and thar she blows! Shut it down.

I start laughing. Covered in grime, black up my elbows, sweating in my nitrile gloves, sweat dripping down my face. He looks at me like I'm crazy. I am..

So basically, my idea was to run the existing fluid out the 3 foot hose and capture it in a can while adding fluid to the reservoir so I could not get air bubbles.

But that only works if you have a closed loop.

What was I thinking. I never attached anything to the end of the low pressure hose. I attached something to the nipple that the hose goes on, but not on the hose. So the fluid was just spewing out the end of the hose.

Oh dear. I failed that shop class test!

But I figure, I spewed well over 1 quart of fluid out onto the cardboard, 1/3 of a bottle at a time. So bubbles should be few if any. Old fluid is removed, maybe not all, but much of it. New fluid is in. Proper lines are reconnected.

Seems to be working so I'm coloring it done.

This evening, I'll put in the new air filter and give it a run down the road. Tomorrow is time for Simple Green and water to remove some of the power steering fluid.

Course, none of it is power steering fluid, its transmission fluid like all the folks tell you to use so you don't have to keep buying so many different types of fluid. But you get the drift.

Dirty job, and all my cardboard is going into the trash, but at least 1 more thing off the list.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep hearing not to interchange P/S fluid with ATF (Auto Trans Fluid) – but I don’t know that I’ve ever had any issues from using ATF (in the P/S system).

The steering gear on my ’86 5th Ave is currently leaking out about a quart every week or so (steering gear seals shot) and same thing from my ’97 Dodge diesel pickup some time back (same seals, different gear).

The pickup has had the steering gear replaced and it’s not used a drop of fluid in five? years now. When it was leaking, I was using about a quart of ATF in it a week (which also required P/S fluid).
By the way, it is not easy to add fluid to it, for P/S Pump is under the fuel injection pump and under an air induction tube from intercooler (it requires a long and very skinny funnel) – so about a good five minute operation to add fluid.

The catalytic converters are stopped up in my 5th Ave, and I believe (no facts to back this up . . . ) the heat from the front cat melted the seals which is causing the leak.
The good news is I have a freshly rebuilt steering gear from Firm Feel ready to install (once I get the exhaust Y pipe out of the way, that is).

Note: I have a decent cat-less Y-pipe to install to get of the heat source, as well as a dozen other reasons.

Back to using ATF, I’ve never figured out why the factory doesn’t make the automatic transmission pump a bit bigger, and then use it to power the Power Steering. Doing so would reduce weight and a number of parts.

Aspen500

Reaction score
They've pretty much solved the pump and leak problem on many vehicles now days,,,,,,,,,,electric steering assist.

The main reason for dedicated p.s. fluid vs ATF is lubricity. The p.s. fluid is "slipperier" than ATF. Power steering fluid is more like hydraulic fluid. Ford uses ATF but they have different style pumps and different seals in the box/rack designed to use ATF. Funny how Fords are the most common make to have p.s. noise (buzz/whine) and leaks though............

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
only if you dont want the heat on constantly:D

it regulates the coolant flow from the engine to the heater core...more flow for higher cabin temp, less flow for lower cabin temp.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The valve actually only closes off coolant flow when you select MAX A/C. Otherwise there's always flow through the heater core. If the blend door was an absolute seal with the temp all the way to cold it wouldn't matter but they aren't. They always leak a little air from the "hot side".

The water valve closes to give you the coldest air possible out the vents.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Aspen500. It turns off any hot water flow inside of cabin during Max A/C and in "off" mode.
All other times it allows full hot water inside of cabin, which is then controlled using the blend air door (via cable or motor with ATC (Automatic Temp Control).

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Ah. I see. Ok that's all I needed to know I'll just have to wrap the bar it hangs on with something after I paint them.

Back