Fixing up the LeBaron

efriedrich

Reaction score
This isn't a restoration but it will still be a lot of work and I thought it might be cool to share some pictures along the way. Most of the work will take place over the next year or so but I will be driving and enjoying the car as I work on it. For the exterior I am going to repaint it and put a new vinyl top on. It will be getting some cop steelies and fresh rubber and I will detail the chrome and other odds and ends. Next I plan on sprucing up the interior with a new headliner, new front seats, recover the rear seats, new carpet, tuff wheel, repainting and detailing the plastic and other interior pieces. All that along with various mechanical odds and ends will take me through the summer and into fall. Next, I am going to build a new motor for it over the winter, I just had the original A998 transmission rebuilt by Wedans Performance in Indy, according to the builder it will be able to handle 450-500 hp. I'm not sure yet what motor I will build but it will be a small block 318/360, LA/Magnum or maybe a stroker, I haven't exactly decided yet but you get the idea. I will either beef up the 8.25 or swap in an 8.75. Along with some other mechanical upgrades like exhaust, brakes, shocks, and suspension I also will be adding a floor shifter and some new gauges to monitor things. This is the plan maybe not a great one but a plan none the less. The LeBaron doesn't have any rust or body issues to start with, thats why I bought it, and is in very good shape overall, so the majority of my effort and money will be spent on the fun stuff like looking cool and going fast (safely). The first set of pictures is what I'm starting with, a clean and very solid car to say the least, but definitely showing its age. It came to Indiana from Colorado about 10 years ago and has been in a barn pretty much ever sense with just over 71,xxx original miles.

Lebaron 3.jpg

CRAIGSLIST001.jpg

Lebaron.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Today we started on the body work. I began by taking it to the upholstery shop where we took off the top and all the trim, then I went over to the body shop where a majority of the fun will take place. We start the sanding, disassembly and other dirty work tomorrow, hopefully it will only take a week or so to have it in paint. All that shit you see in the pictures is the glue from the old top, it was a little dirty but a 100% solid, this car is from the eastern plains of Colorado and is dry as a bone. I still haven't decided what color the top will be but I'm leaning towards going back with the original light blue. The car will be painted the original PB9 blue.

resto1.jpg

resto3.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Very cool.
I wish I had've taken pics along the way when I was working on the Caravelle
I guess at the time I was more concerned with just getting it done and ready for paint
I was doing it solo too so nobody there to snap any.
I do have a couple of it as the "Primermobile".

The big mindblower is gonna be when it comes out of the paint booth.
Nothing like seeing your baby with a new coat of paint!

Keep those update's coming.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I got the rims a few weeks ago and already have them finished, now I just need some new rubber. I figured cop wheels and dog dishes were a natural for the M body. They were a little crusty when I first got them but after sandblasting, a coat of epoxy primer and a some PB9 base\clear they are ready to go. I used Mcguiar's metal polish on the dog dishes and they cleaned up really nice. For tires I'm thinking either Mickey Thompson s/t, BFGoodrich radial t/a, or Cooper Cobra's, 275/60/15 for the rear and 235/60/15 on the front.

2222222.jpg

3333333.jpg

44444444.jpg

77777.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Basically spent the day ripping it down with 500 grit.

sh8.jpg

sh6.jpg

sh10.jpg

sh5.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
There were more little nicks and door dings than I thought but the guy in the pictures is my buddies dad and he has been doing paint and body work for 30 years. I swear that dude has a sixth sense when it comes to seeing the slightest crease, dent, ding ect. he would be like there's one and I was like where, oh ya shit how did you see that.

sh1.jpg

sh4.jpg

sh2.jpg

sh3.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will finish taking off the chrome, the rest of the trim and the bumpers. Things are moving along pretty quickly I was hoping we wouldn't find any surprises once we started tearing into it and we haven't. Just as I had always thought the old girl is solid as a rock, zero rust repair.

sh9.jpg

sh7.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Bringing back haunting memories of my Caravelle.
Unfortunately for me... Mine was NOT rust free.
I spent a r-e-a-l-l-y long time putting that baby back together.
So much sanding... So little time.
Can't say I miss it.
Mind you... Gotta start on my 5th soon.
Luckily there's not a whole lotta rust to deal with on that one.

Full steam ahead Friedrich!

efriedrich

Reaction score
The body work is pretty much done. We still have a little sanding left to do tomorrow but its getting real close to primer. I took off all the emblems and most of the trim but ended up leaving some of the chrome on, it was just to much unnecessary disassembly and I don't have that much time, they are not charging me for any shop time or labor, just material. I don't think its any big deal cause every time I would take something off it looked like new underneath so I figure it's all good. I was getting tired by the end of the day so I finished up the afternoon by meticulously masking everything off to eliminate the possibility of any over spray getting on the trim.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
A few more. One things for sure I know now I definitely don't want a white vinyl top. lol

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

d7.jpg

d8.jpg

Last edited:

efriedrich

Reaction score
Just in case your not bored enough of looking at a car being sanded here's a couple more.

d9.jpg

d10.jpg

d11.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Holy crap Friedrich you're totally bringing me back.
Like I said before...haunting memories of doing mine.
Especially when I see the rear sections.
The only real difference between our cars is the grille.
(and interior of course)
Seeing that boat tail being sanded looks awfully familiar.
Can't wait to see her painted.
Like I said before...
You're gonna sh*t when you see it finished.
Keep the drive alive E.
Lookin' good. :thumbsup:

Back