Fluid for Power Steering Boxes

dermohar

Reaction score
My brother just had his M body power steering box (82 New Yorker) refurbished by a professional steering box rebuilder. The rebuilder put Dextron III in the box and told my brother that using Dextron iii is what all the Chrysler boxes should be using. This caused us some concern as the shop manual says that Dextron iii should NOT be used, but to only use a regular power steering fluid. Don't think we ever come across one of these M body or variant cars with Dextron iii used for power steering.

Any thoughts?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Meh, I've seen people use all kinds of ATF in place of power steering fluid. Although I don't know why anyone would recommend Dexron, a GM product, for a Chrysler.

If you've ever used Lucas oil power steering stop leak and Lucas oil transmission fix... They're shockingly the same color and consistency... probably because power steering fluid and transmission fluid are both hydraulic fluids.

Unless you're driving this car tens of thousands of miles every year, I don't see the issue. I'm sure someone will say I'm wrong

Aspen500

Reaction score
You should use power steering fluid, not trans fluid in a Mopar system. ATF is the wrong viscosity and the lubricity is less plus, if the seals are made fir ps fluid, they can break down (and leak) prematurly with ATF. Ford always used ATF and had constant noise issues as well as leaks.

volare 1977

Reaction score
Mopar power steering fluid only in 1982 chrysler products. 2084329 CRC sold a pre 89 power steering fluid for chrysler products too

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
People are always trying to out smart the automotive engineers with their version of the right thing, and it's almost never right.

AHBguru

Reaction score
Dexron is fine. They're Saginaw steering gear, which are actually a GM product.

Back