Free at last!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I finally got some time to extricate Old Yellow and it's much older Pontiac sister from the garage. Both have been waiting patiently for me to spend some time with them. Both were amazingly easy to start, although I did have OY out for a very short spin a week or so ago, so no real surprise it started right up. The Pontiac, on the other hand, hasn't moved for two years, and the back brakes were stuck briefly trying to pull it out, but quickly broke free. OY is soon to have it's "new" plaid "Special Edition" 60/40 interior installed, although I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying two new complete carpet sets (4 speed coupe and a four door automatic) to piece together to make one complete 4 speed, four door carpet set. I also think I am going to try the "clay bar" suggestion from another thread to see if I can make the paint shine better. I took OY out for a tank of non-ethanol and got a nice compliment and much interest from another customer there. Always makes one feel good. The Pontiac is a 1950 with only 40K on it, and
IMG_20160606_133513631_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160610_145118550.jpg
IMG_20160610_145212782_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160610_145039398.jpg
I am the second owner. I've owned it for many years, and sort of lost interest in it along the way. I'm much more interested in OY, which I've owned for about 3 years now. It has just over 30K on it, and I am the second owner of that too, if you don't count the man who flipped it to me.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Nice looking vehicles on a great driveway in front of a good-looking garage....Most Excellent!
Thanks! I've put a lot of work into that garage. It was pretty much just a concrete shell when I bought this place. I've put on a new roof, siding, new stucco, doors, windows, painted interior walls, put in a nice workbench and shelves inside, and built a nice secluded patio off to the side. I have off this week, and decided to get out my power washer today, and do a much needed cleaning of the garage and patio. Here are a few pics, before, during and after... What a mess!
IMG_20160613_133905998.jpg
IMG_20160613_140802483.jpg
IMG_20160613_182917458.jpg
IMG_20160613_144616454.jpg
IMG_20160613_144645515.jpg
IMG_20160613_144656856.jpg
IMG_20160613_183306033.jpg

You can see in the background that I have a pile of block sitting waiting to finish the wall and walkway which will curve up to the front of the house where I plan to build another patio off the front porch. It was so much work, that I keep putting it off...for several years now. I make way too much work for myself. No wonder OY gets so little attention.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'd love to take that Pontiac for a run.
It was bought new by my friends aunt, who drove it until 1977, then it literally sat in her barn (no kidding) until I bought it, many years ago. It is interesting, but it is not a lot of fun to drive. Unfortunately, it has a straight six instead of Pontiacs straight eight of the time, and Hydromatic. It is reliable as can be, but slow. I really don't enjoy driving it because I don't completely trust it safety wise. It is huge and heavy with a single brake system, and no seat belts. The steering wheel is as big as a hula hoop.
IMG_20160610_145051784.jpg
It does get a lot of looks and questions though. I've been thinking about selling it this year. Just too many projects and not enough interest.

Justwondering

Reaction score
WOW!
I am in awe. That is wonderful workmanship. Cleans up well too.
Did you do the landscaping? I really like the mixture of textures... lots of eye candy.

So basically, you only have 32 projects in progress...sadly I am familiar with that problem.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's extremely cool. I'm not sure I'd want to own it myself but it would be an absolute blast to drive it. I love the driving "feel" from different era's. 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's all have their own driving experience.

I see your point on it not being a great daily driver. :D

But I'd love to take her for a little run.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
WOW!
I am in awe. That is wonderful workmanship. Cleans up well too.
Did you do the landscaping? I really like the mixture of textures... lots of eye candy.

So basically, you only have 32 projects in progress...sadly I am familiar with that problem.
Yep! I've done all the work and landscaping myself. I really enjoy gardening and landscaping. I was surprised how dirty the garage and hardscaping was! It is a good feeling to get some things done here at home, because I have been spending most of my time on a "slow motion" flip of another house for over two years now, and my place sort of gets left go because of it. I think we probably all have way too many projects! I enjoy so many things, it is easy to get too many things going and then get overwhelmed.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
It's extremely cool. I'm not sure I'd want to own it myself but it would be an absolute blast to drive it. I love the driving "feel" from different era's. 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's all have thrust l their own driving experience.

I see your point on it not being a great daily driver. :D

But I'd love to take her for a little run.
Yep, it is a beast! As you say, it is from a different, much slower time. The old woman who drove it was not a big woman, and yet she drove it until she was in her '80's. She only drove it to the local elementary school where she was a teacher, and for errands I suppose. It only has 40,000 miles on it, but she thought of it only as transportation and it had little cosmetic attention for the first half of it's life, so the paint and chrome suffered particularly. Mechanically, it is in very good condition, and the interior is quite nice. I can't imagine using it on a daily basis!

Back