From 2 to 4

greyghost

Reaction score
Got my used 4bbl intake today.
4 bbl Intake 1.JPG
4bbl Intake 2.JPG

Mounting flanges appear to be good. Tapped holes also appear to be good. Lots of dirt and rust to clean up. I still need to get a kit to "Trash That Lean-Burn". Not to mention a carb. I'll be drip-feeding myself these parts as finances allow. I guess for starters I should pop the hood and note the differences (besides the obvious) between the old manifold and my replacement (notice I didn't say new).

4 bbl Intake 1.JPG

4bbl Intake 2.JPG

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
Was the 4bbl kick down linkage still on the car that manifold came from? If so snag that puppy up because buying one separately can get expensive. Just saying .......

greyghost

Reaction score
I didn't know anything about the kickdown linkage or it's rarity otherwise I would've asked these junkyard guys about it's availability. All they offered up on Ebay was the manifold. I do know a guy that I used to work with that was known for building Mopar hot rods. He might have something like that laying around in his barn. Oh and Cap, as far as "gittin' er dun", that's governed by finances. So it may not be ready to all come together until next spring.:eusa_think:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Heavy sucker aint it.

Take it to a machine shop and have them clean it.

Last edited:

greyghost

Reaction score
Heavy sucker aint it.

Take it to a machine shop and have them clean it.

Nah. I'm gonna clean it myself. I used to do a lot of that at work, cleaning old gearboxes up, tearing them down and rebuilding them. So I'm not gonna pay someone to do something I can do myself. There is some thing my brother forewarned me about. He has a '79 Cordoba and he said the pulleys don't have timing marks so I might have to get a special tool to set the timing after the conversion is done. Anybody know what kind of "special tool" he's talkin' about?

aspen77rt

Reaction score
He has a '79 Cordoba and he said the pulleys don't have timing marks so I might have to get a special tool to set the timing after the conversion is done. Anybody know what kind of "special tool" he's talkin' about?

Huh? Timing marks should be on the timing chain cover. With other marks on the damper. Am I missing something here?

11.jpg

Last edited:

alf44

Reaction score
Nah. I'm gonna clean it myself. I used to do a lot of that at work, cleaning old gearboxes up, tearing them down and rebuilding them. So I'm not gonna pay someone to do something I can do myself. There is some thing my brother forewarned me about. He has a '79 Cordoba and he said the pulleys don't have timing marks so I might have to get a special tool to set the timing after the conversion is done. Anybody know what kind of "special tool" he's talkin' about?

with the no timing marks and special tool,,, maybe he is thinking of a timing tape???

greyghost

Reaction score
Fellas! I feel foolish! I was just repeating what my brother had told me in an email! I have a picture to send him and I'll post it here to. I didn't check my car after I read his email but my engine does have timing marks:
001.JPG

001.JPG

greyghost

Reaction score
When I told my brother about this bit of humiliation, I had also sent him the same pic I posted here. He replied by telling me that the tool is called a "timing sensor probe" and it fits into the tube that aims at the harmonic balance. Can anyone verify this and is this "probe" something I need or can a conventional timing light work using a 318 spec?

greyghost

Reaction score
Another issue with the 4bbl intake after showing it to a friend of mine who used to work on old Mopars all the time: What is the tubular fitting down inside the manifold and the hole that is under the would-be carb? He's old school so he said he had never seen that before. At first he said remove the fitting and plug the holes, then he said maybe I ought to find out what they are first. Here's a pic:

002.JPG

002.JPG

greyghost

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back on my manifold again. The round hole on the left is intersected with the tube on the right. The strangely shaped EGR port on the far left doesn't appear to intersect with these ports. When I shoot degreaser into the tube on the right, it flows over to the round hole on the left. I've tried digging out any possible "plugging" from the EGR port to the round hole and I don't believe there is an opening there to connect the two. I have removed the tube on the right, cut off the tube portion of the fitting and getting ready to drill it for a 3/8" tapered pipe plug. I also removed the sheet metal plate from the bottom of the manifold to see what secrets lie underneath only to find an empty chamber. What was the purpose of the plate? Does it need to go back on? Should I send pics?

Back