Fuel Injection conversion

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone done 1 with good results ? I'd been toying with the idea , but have no idea what's involved or where to get the donor parts from .
Never done one but Holly and Edelbrock both offer good EFI throttle body kits with computers for stock or aftermarket intake manifolds...all you have to do is visit their websites and they are right on the front page...

http://www.holley.com/550-400.asp

medium550-400_401_402.jpg

Dodgestrike

Reaction score
I think a TBI from a truck with the same engine 360 or 318 should fit swaping the PCM sensors and stuff.

res1vw21

Reaction score
Why would you do that....new is better...that Holley or Edelbrock stuff is the way to go

because pulling it off of a late model Dakota or jeep is incredibly easy and very reliable. You will need the electric fuel pump the injectors/rails the TB and intake manifold, the o2 sensor, the main compt and wiring.

It's a relatively simple proses and I recommend buying a wrecked car so that you konw you get everything.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
because pulling it off of a late model Dakota or jeep is incredibly easy and very reliable. You will need the electric fuel pump the injectors/rails the TB and intake manifold, the o2 sensor, the main compt and wiring.

It's a relatively simple proses and I recommend buying a wrecked car so that you konw you get everything.
I agree if you can't afford the high dollar stuff...look for a 5.2 liter Magnum motor..it's a 318 roller motor

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Mopar action magazine did the swap into an older car. they took a 5.9 magnum from a van and put it in the car with the complete control module and wiring harness. They separated some of the wires that were not needed. It only takes about 5 wires that need to be hooked to the old car for it to work. You will need to install 0'2 bungs in the exhaust with sensors. The write up is in the magazines i believe in 2006. i believe you also need the flexplate for an automatic as that has the crank sensor on it. You might also need to get a different torque converter if you keep a 904 or 727 as the flex plate bolts are different for the converter. You could also swap in a a-518 tranny if from the same 2wd vehicle but you would have to cut the tunnel up for the overdrive to fit.

Somone on one of the other boards has done a TBI swap from a truck to I believe an m-body and it works well. same thing, need wiring harness and module, plus I believe it needs o'2 sensors also. I think the TBI works with the mopar electronic ignition. But that is for a 2bbl conversion. It does not equal anything for something that would need a 4bbl.

The magnum conversion you can get programmers to change some settings to get more power, especially if you change cams and use headers and dual exhaust.

Looked through my emails before sending this, the ones I ordered were June, August, and October 2006. I think I already had April 2006.
I believe MA still has some you can buy from them. I think I actually need to get one more of them.

Kevin

spoetyone

Reaction score
I am going to do the same swap. I have a 89 b250 van with a tbi 318 and auto to use as a donor. it will be a simple swap to pre magnum heads. it does have the 302 swirl port heads on it and i will build an engine later with the roller block and steel crank and rods i am getting. now the skivy on this project. everything is topside on the engine. crank and cam sensor is in the dist, and the rest in on the manifold except the o2 sensor, but easy fix, most parts stores sell the o2 bung for less than a buck. fuel psi is at 14 to 15 psi at idle, common in line fuel pump w/o regulator. the difficult part is the dash, you will need to put a light in for the check engine light and not sure if the stock guages read the same as the newer style, (havnt got that far yet in my conversion) but with all things considered, a fairly easy one to do. if interested in this particular one shout back with any questions

spoetyone

Reaction score
well, regrettably i wont be able to start that project till next year. i have a young family and a dart sport that needs an engine before that project goes. have spent lots of time researching this project am a mechanic that has all data at my disposal. but from everything i have been reading, the hardest with mine is that it is a California emissions rig and not sure how to get around it yet.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
well, regrettably i wont be able to start that project till next year. i have a young family and a dart sport that needs an engine before that project goes. have spent lots of time researching this project am a mechanic that has all data at my disposal. but from everything i have been reading, the hardest with mine is that it is a California emissions rig and not sure how to get around it yet.

If you got all the data available at your finger tips then ,,,,,,,, how about this ? If 1 of us should happen to start in on a project of this nature would you be available to help us out ?

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
If I get to that level with the GF, I'd probably do one of the kits. Just don't have room/neighborhood where you can strip down a rig, then piece it together on the GF.

bill55az

Reaction score
For easy starting and driveability, EFI is the way to go. Also for emissions.
But for gas mileage? I am not convinced there is that much to gain.

My 95 dakota extended cab, 5.2L v8, MPFI, 3.55 gears and auto OD (in OD, effective gear is 2.4)....
and 79 Volare station wagon, 5.2L v8, 4BBL carb, 2.45 gears and auto trans.
Both got very close to the same gas mileage....about 16 in town....
The numbers are for about 1/3 freeway, 2/3 in town with typical speed limit of 45mph.

Back