Fuel issue on 79 318

Efful

Reaction score
Hello guys, I seem to be having what I believe is a fuel related issue, so during winter my carb that came on the car took a shit and kept flooding my engine, I got a new carb today (reman) and got it on, all the linkage on, but the car still floods, I got a new fuel filter and carburetor. The engine shakes wildly and some black puffs from around the distributor, than it stalls shooting gas out of the carb and pouring it from the seals.

Camtron

Reaction score
Wonder if you have a clogged vent causing your fuel system to build excess pressure. If you were to open your fuel door when the engine’s flooding, does a bunch of air rush out?

Aspen500

Reaction score
A possibility is too much fuel pressure. Should be no more than 5 to 6 psi. Too much will force the needle valve open. Pressure is internally regulated in the fuel pump. Best would be to hook up a gauge and see what you've got first.

One other thing. Even though it's a renan carb and should be OK, not a bad idea to check float level. They've been known to be off after who knows how many people and trucks handled it before it got to you. If it got dropped, the float arm could have gotten bent, or it was never sdjusted in the first place.

Not sure what you mean by "black puffs around the distributor" though.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Are you running an electric fuel pump? My wild guess on the smoke is something electrical having a fit because it's covered in gasoline

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Sounds like it still has a carb problem unless you've got an aftermarket fuel pump putting out way too much pressure

Efful

Reaction score
Sounds like it still has a carb problem unless you've got an aftermarket fuel pump putting out way too much pressure
I found it to be the fuel fitting
This little bugger, do you know if I can purchase these from a part store? Could I remove the little black piece to swap onto a different nipple?

IMG_3209.png

Voeltagear

Reaction score
When tightening the fuel line to the carb make sure you hold the fitting. It houses the float needle and any movement changes the float level.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Are you running standard modern gas which may contain up to 10% Ethanol or are you running Ethanol-free E0 gas? I had a similar flooding issue due to a combination of the 10% Ethanol gas and a plastic cap on the float side of the float needle not being ethanol compatible. The cap swelled and caused the needle to get stuck open causing flooding like you describe. I removed that cap since the original did not have one, and flooding stopped. The rebuild kit was supposed to be ethanol compatible, except for that extra plastic cap. Now that E0 is available near me, that's all I run.

Last edited:
Back