Fuel lines for 85 5th Avenue

Greaseball42

Reaction score
Where can I get some fuel lines for my 5th Avenue I want to get them replaced just to have that piece of mind but I’m having trouble finding stuff online so I was wondering where do you guys get yours at

Aspen500

Reaction score
Try Inline Tube. They have some for Diplomat listed, which I'd assume 5th Ave would use the same lines.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Try Inline Tube. They have some for Diplomat listed, which I'd assume 5th Ave would use the same lines.
And here I've been making my own lines my whole automotive life, cussing and swearing like a fool. They only list through '86 though and it makes me wonder how different the 87-89 AMC products really are.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
They're all the same, if anything the difference would be between 79 and 80.
For the price difference I'd rather make my own.

Remow2112

Reaction score
Look into NIcopp line or tubing. Easy to bend and very durable. I have switched to it for brake lines and will soon convert my fuel lines on my race car to Nicopp.

Greaseball42

Reaction score
What do I check if I’m not getting fuel pressure I pull the lines on the pump and they pumps pumping but it won’t work from the gas tank I’m thinking either the lines from the gas tank to the engine bay are bad or my fuel sending units clogged any thought ?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
What do I check if I’m not getting fuel pressure I pull the lines on the pump and they pumps pumping but it won’t work from the gas tank I’m thinking either the lines from the gas tank to the engine bay are bad or my fuel sending units clogged any thought ?
Are you still using that crusty fuel sender from the other post? Try seeing if your fuel pump will pull from a gas can. If it pulls from the can and not the tank then it's an issue in the tank or the lines. If it won't pull from a gas can it might be the pump.

You can try sucking fuel up through the lines to prime the system. It might just have air in it.

LSM360

Reaction score
Right. If you don't smell it after sniffing around the car I doubt it's leaking. Common place to leak was along front frame where dirt accumulated and held moisture and rusted lines. If you're sure it's not reaching carb and already changed your fuel filter then might need to drop tank and clean might need to drop tank (good time to shift the tank over one notch to right and extend fuel fill for future dual exhausts ;)) Try and keep your original fuel sending unit! Aftermarket ones tend to be crap!

Greaseball42

Reaction score
So I changed the fuel sending unit and got pressure to the carb but only from a bottle with gas so I’m pretty sure the lines are rusted out there’s rust outside so probably in too but the carbs kinda just dumping fuel and it still doesn’t want to start

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Does it smell like gas? If not it's not rusted through. The outside rusts the inside rarely does. But if they look really bad replace them.
I've never had a leak stop it from getting fuel pressure. Gas will soak through the smallest pinhole making the leak obvious long before it becomes big enough to affect pressure. Unless the car has been sitting a long time and never been run yet. Your other post said the last owner did strange things with it so maybe it does have bad lines are you sure it's hooked up properly?

You can always get a cheap electric pump and hook it up to the hose at the normal fuel pump to pull the fuel through. It's not a permanent solution but good enough for testing.

Last edited:

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
My random internet person contribution: A clogged line if the pump won't pull from the tank

A carb issue if fuel is dumping all over the inside of the carb. Stuck float or bad needle and seat.

Could just be its an old piece of junk like mine

Greaseball42

Reaction score
My random internet person contribution: A clogged line if the pump won't pull from the tank

A carb issue if fuel is dumping all over the inside of the carb. Stuck float or bad needle and seat.

Could just be its an old piece of junk like mine
She is a pile of junk I got pressure to the carb some new clean gas and she puts kinda a lot of fuel it seems a bit excessive and this last time I cranked her she spit fuel out of the plunger that connects to the throttle, I’m running out of ideas it’s got fuel it’s got spark and I’ve heard it run so it should have compression and be in time so im not sure why she doesn’t run

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
She is a pile of junk I got pressure to the carb some new clean gas and she puts kinda a lot of fuel it seems a bit excessive and this last time I cranked her she spit fuel out of the plunger that connects to the throttle, I’m running out of ideas it’s got fuel it’s got spark and I’ve heard it run so it should have compression and be in time so im not sure why she doesn’t run
You got a picture of this carb? I wonder if it's got the wrong one on there

Back