Fuel lines

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi,

I ripped out the engine in my Cordoba! Along with it I removed the air con, charcoal filter and anything else I deemed a hanger oner in the engine bay. In my haste of madness I never took note what was the fuel line out of the 3 lines coming up the front, I have chosen the biggest but is that correct?

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
One line, probably will be 1/4" tubing, is the vent from the tank. It's supposed to go to the charcoal canister and yes, it MUST be open. If you aren't going to run a canister I'd recommend routing the vent line to some place out of the engine compartment (just in case). It is fuel vapor afterall.

I'm going to guess you had a small line out of the fuel filter??? If so, that's the smallest tube and was a fuel return. It can be plugged off if not needed anymore.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This is what I think it is, am I right?

lines.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
It needs to be open or you will not be able to pump fuel. I would consider a vapor canister from a newer car to run the vent to and mount it hidden. I usually run a vapor line from near the carb to prevent vapor lock on hot days or after hard runs.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Without venting the tank, even a mechanical pump creates enough suction to actually collapse the tank. I've seen it happen on both older mechanical systems and new electric EFI ones when the vent system gets plugged by dirt or a spider or whatever.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I would keep the (fuel tank) charcoal canister vent system. It doesn’t weigh much and I think the benefits outweigh the cons. Moving it from the engine compartment to under the fender might be a good idea.

Trying to find or make a vented gas cap – may be fun.

The fuel return hose I doubt I will ever remove from a car. I’ve worked on too many (older) cars with vapor lock issues.

Now the carburetor vapor vent hose – that is a system I don’t get excited about. I’m also glad I live in a state that doesn’t require that to be hooked up to charcoal canister.

BudW

Back