fuel pump question

Monkeyed

Reaction score
After seeing cap'n's exploits with his failing, I'm going to change mine. That and the check valve is gone, it couldn't hurt, cheap insurance anyway.

My dumb question is, how can I tell if I need the one with the external oil cooler, or not?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
rockauto has two different one's with, or without an external oil cooler, but they look identical. I'm not sure how to tell which one is on my fifth

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have the non cooler on my Fifth.
When I looked on Summit, Carter doesn't even list a cooler one.
I'm 99.9% positive that all Fifth's are non.

I personally have never even seen the oil cooler model
Didn't even know there was one till now....
Mine has a fuel in and fuel out and that's it.

However....saying that keep in mind I'm a driveway mechanic

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I'm pretty ssure the check valve has gone bad. After it sits for too long I have to let it crank for at least a minute before it'll start normally. All the fuel is leaking past the valve and it has to refill the line from the tank, then fill the floats bowl's again.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I have the non cooler on my Fifth.
When I looked on Summit, Carter doesn't even list a cooler one.
I'm 99.9% positive that all Fifth's are non.

I personally have never even seen the oil cooler model
Didn't even know there was one till now....
Mine has a fuel in and fuel out and that's it.

However....saying that keep in mind I'm a driveway mechanic

lol same here. the non cooler one's cost an extra $10, but are also better manufacturers, so go figure. all NAPA has are non's, but I thought I should check anyway

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm pretty ssure the check valve has gone bad. After it sits for too long I have to let it crank for at least a minute before it'll start normally. All the fuel is leaking past the valve and it has to refill the line from the tank, then fill the floats bowl's again.

That's no good...I've heard of them leaking into the crankcase.
The Carter is a good pump and there like $29 bucks or so at Summit
Don't know what they are at Rock.

But as said I'm pretty much positive you have the non cooler version
Wouldn't there be additional connections for a cooler one?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
That's no good...I've heard of them leaking into the crankcase.
The Carter is a good pump and there like $29 bucks or so at Summit
Don't know what they are at Rock.

But as said I'm pretty much positive you have the non cooler version
Wouldn't there be additional connections for a cooler one?

well, that's what I was thinking, the carter is $16 at rock, they also have a delphi one for $23. the spectra, and airtex pumpps claim to have oil cooler lines, and the delphi doesn't mention either way.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think the question has been answered then.
If your original is like mine and has one in and out then it's non.
As said....I hear the Carter is a good pump.
Hell my original was a Carter and it lasted 27 years...lol.

LSM360

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the Police external oil cooler that runs thru the fuel pump banjo bolt? Never seen or heard of one from factory on anything other than Police Package car. The only ones that have to worry about fit are the ones with the external oil cooler. The special bolt for external auxillary oil cooler will hit the side of some fuel pumps, making it hard to get it lined up and bolted in.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I think you are talking about the Police external oil cooler that runs thru the fuel pump banjo bolt? Never seen or heard of one from factory on anything other than Police Package car. The only ones that have to worry about fit are the ones with the external oil cooler. The special bolt for external auxillary oil cooler will hit the side of some fuel pumps, making it hard to get it lined up and bolted in.

That would make sense, I'll have another look at it. Unless the old man that had it before me put some cop car parts on, then it should be non.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Thank you Sir,
Like I said...never even heard of that before.

LSM360

Reaction score
You see the engine oil cooler between the grille and rad support if you have one. That's where the trans cooler would be too on an AHB.

If there isn't a steel line coming out of one of the bolt holes on the fuel pump then no auxillary engine oil cooler.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
look what the car part fairy dropped off today!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Look ma, no leaks!

IMG_20140904_195611_809.jpg

took about an hour monkeying with it before I figured out that it has to be flush with the block to clear the alternator bracket..

Runs ALOT better now! First it started and actually stayed running! I used to have restart it 4, and 5 times before it'd even idle. THEN I actually got it in gear AND out of the garage AND up the driveway!!!!!!! I drove around for a bout a half hour, city, country, highway, didn't die ONCE!! stoplight it idles so smooth, purrrrrs, then gives a little split second shrug, then smmoooooth again. used to have to pump it and floor it to get it to accelerate, now I can use 100% of the go pedal!! still a touch on and off trying to hold speed, not as bad as it was, doesn't herk and jerk, just a little surgey (if that makes sence?) If the mileage is closer to what it should be, I'm not going to be too worried about it.

:happy6:

IMG_20140904_195611_809.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
Well done, and that was the way to go; a new Carter instead of a junk hit and miss brand like hairtex or dormant or whatever. Nice job.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
waited until the low fuel light came on, then put 10 gallons in yesterday, showed 3/4 of a tank. normally, that'd last about 100 miles, then the light'd come back on, 125 miles later, needle's barely under 1/2.!:hello2::icon_super::eek:ccasion16::toothy10::love4::blob1::icon_pidu::eusa_dance:

Last edited:
Back