Funny new Radiator

slant6billy

Reaction score
Two months ago I replaced my tow rig's radiator. Got a Spectra from rockauto and Nocar340 shot me a discount if you guys remember. Funny thing is the new radiator is pissing coolant out of the unused ports on the upper rail. These things have a square head plastic screw in plug. I'm thinking - drain the radiator and unscrew these plastic plugs and goop them up with some RTV or something coolant resistant. Any suggestions? I don't really want to hastle ripping it out and ship it back to rock. I put all new coolant - anycolor premixed Prestone and a new radiator cap too. Could my new cap have failed? and caused these plugs to leak? This is just one more thing to delay my paint on my car. And the washer machine just broke a belt. I'm digging / putting in a pool myself. AND the icing on the cake .......another daughter going through puberty. I have not drank alcohol in 14 years as of March................. The joke is on me! Hope everyone else had a decent weekend.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I should have them, but got side tracked. I'll post them. I'm thinking the new cap from autozone might have failed to release into the overflow. I'm going to stick the old cap on it tomorrow.... when I shoot the pictures. I had to call it a day. My hands reacted to the coolant and I now have to get my steroid cream. Never a dull moment.

slant6billy

Reaction score
van radiator spectra pic.jpg
this is the stock photo. The fittings up top look brass, but on the one I bought they are plastic with a square head. Yep.... have a bad few days or so it seams. I emailed Rockauto to see how this can play out. If it just unscrew them and put RTV on them and put them back- I'm all for that. I hate to have to rip it out. Going to be tough on the tranny lines. Hell, 2 month old radiator should not do this.

van radiator spectra pic.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
I would suggest just using teflon thread tape on them, and only tighten a little past snug (don't crank on 'em). I'd also say it might be a good time to check the torque on the transmission-line fittings. Remove the transmission lines from them first, obviously. If you want to return the radiator, I doubt you'll have much trouble with Rock; we ordered a correct-application Goodyear lower hose for a 2011 Denali diesel and it simply did not fit. They charged us a restock fee, but they took it back. Apparently, they didn't consider it defective, even though the Dayco hose fit perfectly.

slant6billy

Reaction score
plug rad.jpg
rad bung.jpg
Update: the plastic screw in plugs had an O ring. On the drivers side it was dry rotted and broken. The pass side was just dry rotted. I replaced both O rings and teflon taped the plastic screw in plugs. I guess the radiator sat on the shelf for a while? I'm going to drive the van to work tomorrow and wind it up.

plug rad.jpg

rad bung.jpg

Back