gas tank& sending unit

Milezero

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a 79 Lebaron coupe, 318. Looking for a gas tank and sending unit. I've noticed that BOTH parts are different depending on build date. Mine is "prior to 4/2/79", and the sending unit seems scarce. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between "before" and "after" 4/2/79? Wondering if I can made the post 4/2/79 parts work.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Before has the vent rollover valve under the car, near the right side of the cowl and the vent hose hooks to a tube soldered directly on the tank. After has a plastic rollover vent valve and grommet on top of the tank that the vent hose hooks to. My car is after (06/22/79 build date) and the trunk floor has a hump in the center for the vent valve. Other than the venting style, the tanks are the same.

The sending unit is the same for before and after (at least according to the '79 parts manual). There are two different senders, one for 49 state, one for N95 CA only. The unit Rock Auto has a photo of, is the CA only unit with a fuel return tube.

You can install the after tank. You'd need the vent valve and grommet. I ended up using a valve and grommet for a Jeep Cherokee of the mid '90's (IIRC). Did have to make a spacer washer about 1/16" thick to go between the valve and grommet to keep it tight. The Jeep tank hole is slightly thicker than an F/M/J tank is. Of course, you'll also need to make the "hump" in the trunk floor, if not there already. Haven't checked in a long time but, when I did all this 12 years ago, the correct vent valve was made from unobtainium.

If you go that route, the original vent valve can be removed but shouldn't hurt anything if it's left in place.

I see Rock Auto lists the before tanks. Shows the Spectre Premium as "only one remaining". There's also Dorman and some brand I've never heard of. My 1st choice of the 3 would be Spectre.

One thing. Get an NOS lock ring or a good original. The aftermarket ones aren't made right and don't hold the sender tight enough to the gasket, and it will most likely leak.

Last edited:

Milezero

Reaction score
Before has the vent rollover valve under the car, near the right side of the cowl and the vent hose hooks to a tube soldered directly on the tank. After has a plastic rollover vent valve and grommet on top of the tank that the vent hose hooks to. My car is after (06/22/79 build date) and the trunk floor has a hump in the center for the vent valve. Other than the venting style, the tanks are the same.

The sending unit is the same for before and after (at least according to the '79 parts manual). There are two different senders, one for 49 state, one for N95 CA only. The unit Rock Auto has a photo of, is the CA only unit with a fuel return tube.

You can install the after tank. You'd need the vent valve and grommet. I ended up using a valve and grommet for a Jeep Cherokee of the mid '90's (IIRC). Did have to make a spacer washer about 1/16" thick to go between the valve and grommet to keep it tight. The Jeep tank hole is slightly thicker than an F/M/J tank is. Of course, you'll also need to make the "hump" in the trunk floor, if not there already. Haven't checked in a long time but, when I did all this 12 years ago, the correct vent valve was made from unobtainium.

If you go that route, the original vent valve can be removed but shouldn't hurt anything if it's left in place.

I see Rock Auto lists the before tanks. Shows the Spectre Premium as "only one remaining". There's also Dorman and some brand I've never heard of. My 1st choice of the 3 would be Spectre.

One thing. Get an NOS lock ring or a good original. The aftermarket ones aren't made right and don't hold the sender tight enough to the gasket, and it will most likely leak.
Dude, that’s killer intel and a big help! Thank you! The earlier tank seems readily available, but not the sending unit. Found one on eBay that looks quite different than the one on RockAuto. Can I reuse my existing ring, or would you suggest I get an NOS ring?
I haven’t dug into the project yet. Kinda lost some motivation with the colder temps. But it’s one of the two issues I gotta tackle over the Winter. That and what I believe is a front pump seal leak on the transmission ‍♂️

Aspen500

Reaction score
Now that I searched around a bit, I do see where the aftermarket senders have a before and after 04/02/79, not a clue what, if any, difference there is. As I said, the parts manual doesn't have a date break for the sender, only the tank. BudW most likely knows for sure what it is what.

If you're original locking ring isn't rotted beyond surface rust, it'll be OK to use. Main thing is when installing the ring, it should take quite a bit of force and require a punch and hammer to get locked. Obviously the correct locking ring special tool would be ideal but, who has one of those on the shelf? lol

Back