Gasoline, or a reasonable facsmile there of.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I will ask they guys at work regarding ethanol blending in Canada, or at least the western half of the country. They deal with the refineries all the time, so they either would know, or would be able to find out in short order. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have no doubt that some of the gasoline out here may be coming up from the US, but if it is, it would be a very minor part of the entire fuel supply. I do know that most of the gasoline comes out of the 7-8 refineries that are up in Edmonton. Most of the diesel fuel in this area comes out of the big refinery out of Regina. For the eastern part of the country, the big refinery is in New Brunswick (the Irving Refinery there), but I know there are a number of smaller ones in Sarnia and Southern Ontario, so I don't know exactly what they do there, and don't have any co-workers who talk to them on a regular basis. All of the former refineries in the east end of Montreal have been mothballed, but a couple of tank farms may still be in use for storage.

Ethanol is not a real good idea for Canada, anyway, as its affinity for water, and Canada's tendency for cold winters would allow the gasoline to thicken up in people's gas tanks in the winter due to absorbing condensation in the tank. I have no doubt they are putting in other additives to reduce emissions and to satisfy some other environmentalist's demands, but ethanol is not really part of the soup, as far as I know. We end up having to put additives (diesel conditioner) in diesel trucks (at work) due to the diesel gelling, or waxing up, in the middle of winter. Once that happens, the trucks have to be pulled indoors for a day or two before being started up, and then have the diesel conditioner put into the tanks, so the heavy equipment guys are real careful about making sure the diesel conditioner is always put in.

Kostas

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
As I mentioned on the other thread we unfortunately hijacked
Here in Ontariariario we get the short end of the ethanol free stick.
In this list...

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

You can see how scarce real gas is....especially in Toronto.
With the rare exception of a couple of independent's it's pretty much Shell 91 or nothing. Petro Con sells their Ultra 94 with so much ethanol you can smell it across the street....all the other majors here have at least 5% in their premium and 10% in their low and mid grades.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
As I mentioned on the other thread we unfortunately hijacked.

No worries mate! My brain's a sponge for this kind of thing. I bounce around the cl auto forum, PLAGUED with trolls, but the format at least allows for seperating, and dealing with them or ignoring them if you choose.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
if anything I should be apologizing, that was just a welcome aboard thread!

Hijack-back over lol

when I was working at a motorcycle dealership they spent the entire summer doing what seemed like more "Carb clean!"s than oil change.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
if anything I should be apologizing, that was just a welcome aboard thread!

Hijack-back over lol

when I was working at a motorcycle dealership they spent the entire summer doing what seemed like more "Carb clean!"s than oil change.

I just like to stick to the thread title when possible.
Threads get derailed a lot which I don't really mind much as long as the original poster actually gets their question answered.

I totally believe that they do more carb cleaning.
Ha...around here you could count the amount of carbureted cars on one hand. The quickie lube joints wouldn't know what to do with one if they saw it.

It's very obvious that gas is not what it once was.
Which leaves guys like me with three old school cars running around like an idiot looking for reasonably descent gas.
And these are stock engines....if I had the performance variety I wouldn't even know what to do. Just for the sake of experimentation I threw a bottle of Lucas fuel conditioner in the Fifth as per NoCar's recommendation.
The tofu saving tree huggers are making it more and more difficult to keep our cars running right....

NoCar340

Reaction score
SeaFoam sucks. Get Lucas. I didn't rant about it in the hijack for nothing. I used to use SeaFoam. Never again.

NoCar340

Reaction score
You'll notice it more gradually with a carburetor. When dumped into a MPFI engine, the results can usually be felt literally in minutes.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Mostly cleaning, although the claim is it's also lubricating the upper cylinder areas. I would not doubt that claim; it certainly makes a noticeable difference. It's quicker in MPFI because of the direct fuel delivery as opposed to sitting in a float bowl, so the improvement may be much more gradual. Still, I've had boat and small-engine owners absolutely rave about the stuff after I recommended it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Mostly cleaning, although the claim is it's also lubricating the upper cylinder areas. I would not doubt that claim; it certainly makes a noticeable difference. It's quicker in MPFI because of the direct fuel delivery as opposed to sitting in a float bowl, so the improvement may be much more gradual. Still, I've had boat and small-engine owners absolutely rave about the stuff after I recommended it.

Thanks for the explanation.
I've heard good things myself....just never tried it.
I'll report my findings.

Dang!!
Tom Jones!!

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
The tofu saving tree huggers are making it more and more difficult to keep our cars running right....[/QUOTE]

That's their plan!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The tofu saving tree huggers are making it more and more difficult to keep our cars running right....

That's their plan![/QUOTE]

Yes.....mustn't have these 30 year old cars spewing nasty emissions.
The cars we've kept out of landfills
Better to get a nice new one every five years....
Makes sense.

Nuttyprof

Reaction score
That's their plan!

Makes sense.[/QUOTE]

You do know that the environmental impact of making and disposing of the car is canceled by having all the computer junk on them, don't you?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Makes sense.

You do know that the environmental impact of making and disposing of the car is canceled by having all the computer junk on them, don't you?[/QUOTE]

Makes total sense....
What was I thinking?

NoCar340

Reaction score
It was mentioned somewhere else on the board at one point, but if you take into account the sourcing of raw materials and the processes used to manufacture the Toyota Prius and its component parts, it is possibly the largest "gross polluter" ever to wear a license plate... before the initial consumer test drive. That is, of course, unless you know of a poorly-tuned '56 Chrysler 300C with over a million miles on it, all spent at WOT.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It was mentioned somewhere else on the board at one point, but if you take into account the sourcing of raw materials and the processes used to manufacture the Toyota Prius and its component parts, it is possibly the largest "gross polluter" ever to wear a license plate... before the initial consumer test drive. That is, of course, unless you know of a poorly-tuned '56 Chrysler 300C with over a million miles on it, all spent at WOT.

I've gotten into more "discussions" on the "environmental benefits" of the planet saving prius than I can remember. It sure is a lot of laughs watching the drool coming off their bottom lip when you explain the reality of the situation.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I've gotten into more "discussions" on the "environmental benefits" of the planet saving prius than I can remember. It sure is a lot of laughs watching the drool coming off their bottom lip when you explain the reality of the situation.

Been there! They usually start sputtering "But! But! But!" Then go spouting off about something someone told them that they read in a newspaper somewhere.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Been there! They usually start sputtering "But! But! But!" Then go spouting off about something someone told them that they read in a newspaper somewhere.

Yes Sir,
It's pretty entertaining hearing the "thwack" as the mental gears grind to a halt because everything they preach about just got flung or the window.

Back