Got laughed out of a JUNKYARD today.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Just for asking if they had anything for Thermoquads. The first rude little button pusher didn't even have a clue what I was talking about, without trying to punch iin what car it was for into his terminal. I guess he didn't like it when I said it didn't matter. I tried to give him a couple of hints, when someone, who I'm assuming was in charge came in and at least knew it "sounded like some kind of carberator" and that they didn't have ANY of those anymore. so pee on number 1 calls another location where whoever picked up at least knew it was Chrysler, but seemed to think that was the funniest thing he's heard this year.:angry5::angry5::angry5:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you asked for plastic wheel covers for a hyuondayotissan you'd be more with it man.....what we're you thinking? :eusa_clap:

I called the biggest boneyard we have around here a few years ago.
Don't even remember what I was looking for.....
The guy said anything before a '92 don't even ask.

NoCar340

Reaction score
You just gotta find the right junkyards. Hint: they're never in the yellow pages.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You just gotta find the right junkyards. Hint: they're never in the yellow pages.

They ain't in T.O.either....
I've scoured every boneyard in the vicinity here and they're done.
Closest I can find anything is National Moparts in Beaverton.
Two hours north.
They've crushed and trashed everything older than 95 round here.

Monkeyed

Reaction score

The guy who knew it was a carb told me about a couple more yards that might be able to help. Thinking he was giving me the run around I didn't go looking for them until I got off work.

They were kind of hard to find, and closed by the time I got there, but they looked promising. Their "sign says they have parts for antique cars. I'll have to go back at lunch tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted

Monkeyed

Reaction score
that first one I went to used to have three different yards, one of them was JUST imports. probably figured there ain't much difference anymore, and has lumped them all together.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
only car I have new enough to go to a junkyard for is my 02 towncar, which I can pretty much get anything from the parts store for it
only time I had to go was to get a trunk latch for it when we got in a deep freeze here and mine broke, and even at that no one had any 98-02 towncars, and the one I scored it at only had 1 crown vic trunk lid which they let me get the latch off of

slant6billy

Reaction score
Long gone are the days of trudging to the junkyard. Private yards and the web- new way of junk'n. Sad

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
what a waste.

Don't even get me started.....
One local boneyard had not one but two Fifth Ave's.
One in a million fluke....
I saw them there and went in...I even know the guy who runs it.
I took what little I could with minimal tools and said I'd be back Monday.
They were closed Sunday....I told him..DON'T CRUSH THOSE CARS!!!
Came back Monday to find two Fifth Ave pancakes.
The owner went on holidays and didn't tell the boneheads at the boneyard to leave them.....not impressed.
On top of that...there was a mint 76 Granada piled on a mountain of cars.
This thing looked super clean which is rare considering Granada's would rust just by looking at them....they mashed it.
I asked the guy in charge why the hell they would crush such rare cars.
He said....we need the space...
I said "For what??? All the f**king hyundai's???"
The yard is full of garbage imports.......idiots.....

alf44

Reaction score
for most yards they are not in it to help us old car drivers with parts, all they want is the price they get for the scrap metal. and the older cars had better and heavy weight metal... so... crush all old cars !!!

alf44

Reaction score
as of last fall i know of only 1 f body in southern mn. around 100 miles around me in a junk yard. not much left good. front bumper he wants 110.00, windshield at 75.00.i got the interior plastic panels and trim for a 100.00- thought was high though.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
You guys would be in hog-heaven in California (believe it or not!). Although ALL the cars at Pick-N-Pull are destined for the crusher, M-bodies, as well as a bunch of other old cars, are plentiful. Their inventory is online, so you can do your searches in the comfort of your home. Upon locating a particular part or car, it tells you where it's at based on a grid system (i.e. row A, Car 17). The cars are in a dry gravel lot, and each one is jacked up off the grown (on old sets of wheels) for easy pulling. Just doing a quick search on their site pulls up five 5th Avenues within easy drive of my house. They are surprisingly well run. (www.picknpull.com). They're good about not trashing rebuild-able cars, too. And of course, the dry weather here treats cars rather well. I pulled a bunch of parts for my LeBaron project from picknpull.. I found really nice headlamp bezels, bumpers, and a parts to rebuild the fuel system. Because of California emissions, 4-Barrel M-Bodies are the norm, not the exception -- at least on the earlier years. (LeBaron project: http://www.functionbox.org/80LeBaron/)

Monkeyed

Reaction score
as of last fall i know of only 1 f body in southern mn. around 100 miles around me in a junk yard. not much left good. front bumper he wants 110.00, windshield at 75.00.i got the interior plastic panels and trim for a 100.00- thought was high though.

That's the other thing, the parts SHOULD be dime-a-dozen, but thanks to the cash for clunkers carpocalypse they may as well be made of gold

Monkeyed

Reaction score
You guys would be in hog-heaven in California (believe it or not!). Although ALL the cars at Pick-N-Pull are destined for the crusher, M-bodies, as well as a bunch of other old cars, are plentiful. Their inventory is online, so you can do your searches in the comfort of your home. Upon locating a particular part or car, it tells you where it's at based on a grid system (i.e. row A, Car 17). The cars are in a dry gravel lot, and each one is jacked up off the grown (on old sets of wheels) for easy pulling. Just doing a quick search on their site pulls up five 5th Avenues within easy drive of my house. They are surprisingly well run. (www.picknpull.com). They're good about not trashing rebuild-able cars, too. And of course, the dry weather here treats cars rather well. I pulled a bunch of parts for my LeBaron project from picknpull.. I found really nice headlamp bezels, bumpers, and a parts to rebuild the fuel system. Because of California emissions, 4-Barrel M-Bodies are the norm, not the exception -- at least on the earlier years. (LeBaron project: http://www.functionbox.org/80LeBaron/)

with any luck this guy's place will be well run. and there won't be anyone with five mortgages to pay off.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Junkyards vary around here. One of the local Pick'N'Pulls had a number of 5th Avenues and even a J bodied Cordoba last summer. The same location has had a C body with a Big Block (which I totally screwed up on by not taking engine out), and last week had a 1975/1976 318 Dart that I took the distributor from. Right now, they have nothing rear wheel drive from Chrysler (except for the pickup trucks of course). It varies a lot. There are a ton of other junkyards, but they seem to mostly cover either newer cars, pickups, or Heavy Equipment (semi tractors, >1 ton trucks, and busses of various sizes).

Kostas

Monkeyed

Reaction score
nothin', the one had an '86 with the same 2bbl setup i already have. Oh well.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I was in PA last month with some friends and were walked through this mega junkyard. we skipped the imports and fords because no one has one, but there had to be at least 6 - 10 rows of trucks and suvs. The older stuff was at the bottom of the hill. I found one Doba that was already ran sacked through. there were a few cars from the 40's to 50's saw a couple first gen doba, a 4th gen charger/magnum. and that was really about it. the other yard we went to had two fifth ave. its mostly newer vehicles now. takes the fun out of junkyarding.

Back