Hardwired stereo?!

Bryan M.

Reaction score
The Imperial's deck functions...kind of. It has an issue shifting the audio properly through the speakers via the volume knob. So I picked up an equalizer-equipped deck from an '89 Fifth Avenue. Figured it'd be a cakewalk swap.

Bad enough that both the Fifth and the Imperial have Chrysler's "bastard bolt" security screws. But once I got the Imperial's deck loose, I find that there are no "plugs" for the wiring, but that it goes straight into the deck casing. Looking at the schematics in the electrical book doesn't really help me...anyone dealt with this?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Nope, never had to deal with an Imperial radio.
But if the volume knob is acting wonky
It could just be dirt in the contacts.
If you did want to keep the stock radio
I'd try getting some contact cleaner into the volume pot.
If that's a PITA just work the knob back and forth from off to full a couple of million times. It'll work out the crud and it might work fine.
Just a suggestion....
Done that with a few hundred radios.

alfatar

Reaction score
just work the knob back and forth from off to full a couple of million times. It'll work out the crud Done that a few hundred times
Capt, he was asking about radios not what you do on your spare time..

I find it hard to believe that there are no plugs around the radio. Maybe look further into the dash?? Everything was made since the 50's to unplug at some point. Pictures please?
Also 2x on contact cleaner. Use it like you got it for free.

Mike

Bryan M.

Reaction score
You know....maybe I'm sharing too much with you people.

:laughing6:

559854_10152574223990184_863947203_n.jpg

The wires disappear into the case on both sides. Only external parts are the ground and the antenna.

559854_10152574223990184_863947203_n.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Weird...A remote possibility the plugs are in the case
But that's probably wishful thinking.
Maybe down in the lower dash?
You'd think it's gotta be plugged in somewhere. :angryfire:

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I didn't see anything lower...but that's the farthest the wiring would come out of the dash. I've looked in the electrical book, I don't see anything cut-and-dry about this one...

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Can you wiggle the radio out just a little bit more? I'll believe you'll find the plugs about 8" beyond the radio.. Instead of plugging directly into the radio, the radio has pigtails that has the plugs.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Can you wiggle the radio out just a little bit more? I'll believe you'll find the plugs about 8" beyond the radio.. Instead of plugging directly into the radio, the radio has pigtails that has the plugs.

That's gotta be it.
I even flew an email to Mr Ehrenberg at MA to ask if there was anything weird about the Imp radios. He said not as far as he knows
I'm with Cordoba1.
There's gotta be plugs lower in the dash.
In the meantime...
You can twist your knob back and forth to work out the crud. :icon_thumleft:

alfatar

Reaction score
After pulling of the ground strap and antenna wire the radio should move foward a little more. Squeeze your hand around the wire and follow it into the dash. As alread been said you should find a pig tail someware.Did you try contact cleaner yet? IT usually works ok.
As Capt favorite new saying twist your knob until the crud comes out.
Mike:icon_thumleft:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
After pulling of the ground strap and antenna wire the radio should move foward a little more. Squeeze your hand around the wire and follow it into the dash. As alread been said you should find a pig tail someware.Did you try contact cleaner yet? IT usually works ok.
As Capt favorite new saying twist your knob until the crud comes out.
Mike:icon_thumleft:

Funny..the more you twist it..the more crud comes out. :nono:

My imp

Reaction score
I just converted mine to an Infinity (Chrysler) AM/FM Cassette & 6 disc (factory) changer. The connections run off of the amp located in the center speaker location up front. With the joystick controller you need to have separate negatives running to each speaker, not a common negative. I bypassed the amp & was able to use all factory wiring. The back speakers aren't quite as powerful, however, you won't fry anything either. Compared to the analog AM/FM Cassette I had in there, I'll take a few less watts. Most of what I listen to was recorded on 4 track anyways, so just being "digitally re-mastered" is good enough for me! I used the fsm & the schematic on the radio to figure the wiring. I had the "ported" radio which uses the factory cable from changer to head unit, so if you want to stay factory, IMO that's the best set up that fits w/o much fiddling around. Looks much better too. The clock & digital dash read outs are close enough for gubmint work, not to mention it's black like the rest of the dash. I'm going to try grafting the A/C controls from an '88 LeBaron so that the entire dash will be black. I think I'm stuck painting the cigar lighter bezel black as I know of none available to fit the Imp's dash. Will shoot pic's when I get home. In the before pic., the silver radio sticks out like a sore thumb, the black really classes up the dash. Good luck, pm me if you have anymore questions.

Back