how does my early computer (stock 82 318 2 bbl)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Even running the coil at 8-9 volts, the ignition coil still gets HOT.
Note to everyone: DO NOT TOUCH an ignition coil during or after an engine was running! YOU WILL BURN YOUR HANDS/FINGERS!

For racing, you really don’t need a big alternator – unless you have some high amperage accessories, like heated back glass, seat heaters, sauna, sun tanning booth, etc.
The voltage regulator bumped up to higher voltage is a good idea, but having a 37-amp or a 50-amp alternator is all you need. The bigger, 100-amp, alternator adds weight and rotating mass – both you don’t want for racing.
BudW

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Bud showed a ground wire. Good point. The control unit HAS TO BE GROUNDED. I'd get rid a some paint and use a bolt with a nut I could crank tight to ensure its grounded

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never personally used a chrome or a gold box, before.
Seen people use them – just not myself.

Also, I’ve never seen a benefit of using an MSD system – except for as a Rev Limiter or a Data Logger. Not saying there isn’t a benefit (other than what I mentioned) – I just don’t see any advantage.
A black box will work fine for 99% of people and will give very little troubles.
Save your money for something more important.

Data Logging or Fuel Injection usage – I can see a lot more importance of spending the money on an ignition system.
Again – this is my opinion.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bud showed a ground wire. Good point. The control unit HAS TO BE GROUNDED. I'd get rid a some paint and use a bolt with a nut I could crank tight to ensure its grounded
The Rev-n-nator module comes with a separate ground wire (as shown), that comes from inside the module (not shown).

The screws Chrysler uses are designed to scrap off paint when tightening – but this method, especially on the firewall side, doesn’t guarantee a good ground connection.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Well there's more to ignitions than just making spark, the last MSD box I bought has a three step, controls rpm at burn out, launch and max rpm. I can lock timing in the distributor and control it with the box. I can pull timing at the starting line to aid in traction, this is important when you have 600 foot pounds of torque and your trying to use a DOT tire, a poor mans traction control, also it will retard timing for boost or nitrous. You program your timing with a laptop.
Edit: it has a start retard also.

Last edited:

ZieglerSpeed

Reaction score
Ok. I was outa the game when that came out. "Huge horsepower gains" are claimed. Remember split fire spark plugs? -a scam for people that had to much $

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Here is a quote from Smokey Yunich; "If your current ignition lights all of the cylinders,all of the time, nothing can be gained by switching to another type of ignition."
He was however, a fan of the CDI systems for it's long-duration spark, for his racecars.

I am a Super big fan of the Accell Sq-top Super Coil... because it has been reliably sparking my 750DP carburated 367 to 7200 since 1999, and over 125,000 miles. Expensive to buy, but cheapest coil I ever bought. And not one single ignition failure of any kind.
In summer of 2004,I briefly tried a CDI system with an E-core coil,which was a disaster. Two tow-jobs later, that crap was outta there and the Super was back on board.

Last edited:
Back