How to Clean up Cast aluminum Valve Covers

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

I ended up getting a pair of M/T cast aluminum valve covers (marked Holly M/T 318 340 360 inside) when I bought a MP deep transmission pan for the A904 (A999) in my 1980 Cordoba. The valve covers are structurally fine, but need a serious cleaning on the outside, and what I would like to do with them is paint them Chrysler engine blue for the most part, but polish out the ribs and M/T logo. Having them fully polished would be great, too. I'm a little bit confused with how to do this. Questions are:

1. Can I clean off the existing paint, which is in really bad shape, with lacquer thinner, PVR (Paint Varnish Remover, a paint stripper available all over Canada, don't know if it is in the US) gel, aircraft paint stripper, or? Concern with this is the PCV valve gasket/grommet getting eaten up. Are PVC valve gaskets common, and would most auto parts stores have replacements?

2. After all the old paint is gone, do I just clean the metal with sandpaper, steel wool, some sort of metal prep or what?

3. Both valve covers have breathers on them. I would like to take the breathers off and replace them. Are breathers all the same size, or should I bring the valve covers with me to the auto parts store?

4. I assume that I will be using engine enamel to paint the covers. Will it stick to aluminum, and stay on, or do I need to get the valve covers powder coated?

In either case, I want to paint the valve covers completely, and then polish out the ribs and M/T logo. I wouldn't mind polishing everything out, but can't see any way of properly polishing out the areas between the ribs and around the M/T logo.

Kostas

Last edited:

lowbudget

Reaction score
1. I would use aircraft paint remover since aircraft are made of aluminium so it shouldn't tear it up. Yes PVC grommets are available at parts store. You should be able to pop old one out before you start if it hasn't hardened too much.

2.I just scuffed my Offy alum. vlv. cover with 220 I think as you need a rough surface for the paint to bite to. I didn't etch or prime and 5 years later it still looks like new.

3. I would pack them with me but I always pack the old parts just to be sure as I live 12 miles out of town.

4. I used Ed Hirsch engine enamel on mine as the Eastwood junk was the wrong color. It is holding up but then I've only put 1800 miles on it in the 5 years since I painted it.

Go to Princess auto and get some small buffer wheels, buffer cones, rouge/polish and a die grinder and have at it. I get my polishing junk at Harbor Freight. I just picked up a 318 2 weeks ago with the old MT vlv. covers on it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
lowbudget:

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I am going to go with the paint. I will get some aircraft stripper and see how that goes. I am going to pull off the PVC valve gasket and breathers to get the cleanest surface to work with. I will get the replacement breathers and PVC valve gasket before I start the stripping. I may also hit the aluminum with Flitz Alumium Pre-Cleaner

I see you are based in Utah, but know about Princess Auto. Very cool.

Kostas

lowbudget

Reaction score
I'm at work in Kuwait right now but we have the Canadian mafia on this rig. Also my old relief was from Calgary and used to leave the catalogs lying around. My mom was from Stettler and that's where all my cousins are from. So we got the Canuck thing going on! I used good engine enamel and sprayed it with a touch up gun. The Eastwood ceramic paint was pretty but looked like a blend of the turquoise and the blue. I called them and complained, I asked if they could guarantee the right color if I ordered again and they told me to use Mopar paint in the rattle can if I wanted a guarantee of the right color. Needless to say they gave me my money back and lost my business forever. Now you have me thinking of painting my MT vlv. covers as I have received a lot of complements on that Offy vlv. cover on my slant.
Mike
slant 001 (Small).jpg

slant 001 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Back