huge new problem need help asap

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
i ave no car and have no way i can get to work i have no idea what happend.

i put a alt from my valiant on with new brushes hooked up turned key it started and diedsmoke came from the fuse link wires where like 5 wires come off one large wire from the battery cable. ive replaced it put my old alt in and it keeps burning the red wire from there and i see it goes into the cabin does anyone know where this wire goes? its larger wire like 14 or 12red comes off fuse link from the OE 1 to 5 wire crimp.

NoCar340

Reaction score
If I'm picturing it correctly, it ultimately goes to your alternator. There's a short somewhere between that connector and the alternator, possibly internal to the alternator itself. Disconnect the alternator but leave it mounted. Check for continuity between the main power stud of the alternator and the alternator case with a DMM. If your DMM goes "beep" your alternator has internally shorted. If no beep, test the alternator wire itself for continuity to ground at the alternator's ring terminal. If you get a beep there, the main power wire has shorted somewhere. Since two different alternators did the same thing, I don't think the alternator the issue, but it very well could be. If you can't find the problem in the power wire from the alternator to the starter relay, then check your dashboard ammeter & wiring. Based on where you're telling me the link is burning, your ammeter may have shorted, but I'm not really sure how the links are placed on your car and it may be the only one in line.

DO NOT REPLACE THE FUSIBLE LINK WITH REGULAR WIRE. Not even temporarily! Use the correct gauge of fusible link wire only, or you may well burn the car and yourself to the ground. It may not seem like it in these days of huge fuses and 150A alternators being commonplace, but even 37 amps (the smallest Chrysler alternator) is a ton of current and can start a fire in a split second.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Absolutely be careful. NoCar is right. It will also knock you on your butt. If you burned up any part of the harness, you are now risking a fire. You need to trace out the harness to the fuse block. Have plenty of light and be prepared to take things apart(the dash). I watched a 71 duster burn 28 years ago over a side marker light circuit. Get a fire extinguisher the is rated for elect fires - if you don't have one.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
I just learned more that may help so stupidly I thought a alt is a alt I put a what by oriellys books I put a valiant rated alt 50 amp or 60 amp on the aspen that needs a 78amp is there now anything more that could help in solving my issue we r looking at it today and my mech friend is coming tomorrow.

then when reading my official valiant book it said if the washer for the brush's are in the wrong spot it will cause it to not ground right I replaced the brushs but not sure if they are in right who knows the correct order of these brushes

thank you all soo much for input

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
The brushes only go in one way, and it doesn't matter if you reverse the wires to them. The amperage on the alternator doesn't matter either. Neither of those are the problem. If your Valiant alternator is a pre-'69 "roundback" unit, you won't get it to charge but it wouldn't cause the problem unless you grounded the extra field wire, which would overload the regulator and push 17V or more through the system... but it still wouldn't blow the fusible link. The fusible link will take as much as 250V without blowing, but only so many amps. The voltage regulator is not an amperage regulator.

Go back and re-read my previous post carefully. Print it out if you must. Your issue is in the main power feed to the battery from the alternator, period. It's not in the field wires.

Back