Hyundai Santa Fe. - Is this Normal?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I had a santa fe as a rental after an accident a few years ago. Worst vehicle I've ever driven and I've driven a lot of junk.
The traction control trying to kill me merging on the highway was the end of it. The Journey they gave me when I brought it back was a million times better. Hell even a Hyundai Accident would have been better.

Ele115

Reaction score
If you ever have some time to kill in an airport or some severe insomnia, you can use a web search and find "Hyundai (Or Kia) Customer complaints". They are right up there with Volkswanker

Aspen500

Reaction score
Last week a 2014 Equinox 2.4 Ecotec came in on the flatbed for a no start. Walking out to the vehicle, first thought was the timing chain. Hit the key and,,,,,,,sure enough, sounded like all the plugs were out. Cam timing chain was so worn it jumped time, the chain guide was 4 pieces that fell out when I pulled the timing cover plus, the balance shaft/water pump chain was about to fall off it was so loose. That's a separate smaller chain behind the cam chain. High miles? Nope. The odometer showed 91,371. They got lucky and none of the pistons crashed into the valves. Now that's quality for you. To make it worse, this one has always used synthetic oil (as required by GM) and changed 4,000-5,000 miles and the engine was clean inside, not neglected as some are. As I've mentioned before, it sucks for the owners of the vehicles but it's job security for me.

I worked on Audi and VW from 2007-2012 and my experience is, VW quality is not that great. That "fine German engineering" thing is just hype it seems. Audi's have better quality but still have way more problems than you'd expect for the price and, those repairs are always expensive. We joke that Mercedes is over priced and over engineered to stay that way.:p

I still say car companies worry too much about all the doo-dad's, gadgets, "connectivity," crap to distract the driver, touch screens, wi-fi, sat-nav, blah, blah, blah, and don't spend any time, money or engineering on the parts that really matter and,,,,,,,,,the quality and reliability suffers. What good is a blue tooth, voice activated, hands free phone on a car that won't run, other than calling the tow truck?
How about when the morons mount electronic modules under the back of the vehicle in the water, salt and slop and then,,,,,,,the water and salt gets in the module and shorts it out (or the connector and corrodes/shorts the terminals), which takes down the entire CAN network, everything on the network goes down, the engine stalls, the dash goes nuts, the doors lock and unlock over and over, the lights go out................Well, you get the idea. OK, I'm done ranting now.:confused:

Last edited:

Ele115

Reaction score
German stuff is the worst. If you must have a benz or something, lease it and walk away when you got it out of your system. That cheap plastic and wiring will bankrupt you when they start aging. Plastic A/C line, PS tubes and that BS plastic coolant hose gizmo that crumbles and dumps coolant into the oil and you have to yank the top end of the engine apart to fish all the crumbled stuff out and replace it. The over use of inferior plastic completely ensures cars won't last long. GM might be trying to take the lead on early-death junk. though. The crap they are cranking out is really appalling. I have a 2015, and it's from a Holden plant. It's right before they started getting really bad, but I have not been too impressed with the rotors they put on this thing, or the crappy shifter and the mileage is very low. I know a couple that proudly leased that spectacular new Blazer and they were smitten with the thing. It's constantly breaking down on them. The only good news is that it's a lease, but their payment is pretty high and they spend a lot of time standing around at the stealership. They used to be loyal GM customers. Not anymore, you should see their Twitter feed!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I had an uncle that was 6'7" and he did the same thing. Was always ducking when he had his stetson on.
His daughter is 6'2" (my cousin)
and her son is 6'5"

Course, I'm shrinking as I age so my 5'10 3/4" (I was so blasted mad that I never made 6 foot) has begun going down now. I've lost an inch 5' 9 3/4" according to the Texas State Troopers.

Congrats on getting not only to 6 but on up to 7 foot!

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The new Blazer must not be a best seller (referencing a comment from Ele115). I can remember seeing exactly one of them so far. Maybe they're all in the dealership service dept, lol.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
A “Hyundai Accident” ! hehe.
How about a Hyundai Accent?
BudW
That's what I meant. They didn't have much else to choose from then those two mini-suv's when I needed something but I was not impressed with that SantaFay and will never let it down.

Back