I go in for tire repair and the man asks about my windshield wipers.

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Is this something new?
I know that the Bureau of Automotive Repair places weird restrictions and practices on repair shops. Several years ago, I read they required all shops to do a tire pressure check even if they were in for something completely UNrelated to the tires.
Is that happening here?
I had a slow leak in the LF and RR tires. While the man was pecking away all my info, he asked of the condition of my wiper blades. I have never been asked this at any shop before. In 1986, I worked at an auto parts store (Chief Auto Parts) and the corporate theme was plus selling.
If a customer was in for a quart of oil, the clerk would ask if they needed a funnel or paper towels.
If they bought an alternator, we had to ask if they needed a voltage regulator or battery cables.
It was a running joke...we'd say that IF a frequent customer bought lots of oil, we'd ask him if he needed an ENGINE or drip pan.
Windshield wipers have nothing to do with tires. Is this some new government thing?

01 face 10.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Here (Texas) its an 'upsell' opportunity (you want fries with that?)

Like the battery commercials for your smoke alarm which start running on tv with the time change each spring and fall... You see the reminder, want to be safe, can't remember when you changed the batteries, so you buy new ones, never replace them cause you don't have a ladder to reach the smoke alarm, and do it again 6 months later.

Here, when you go in for an annual inspection, wiper blades are part of the inspection protocol; however, rarely do you get asked about it unless the shop is trying to get the 'upsell' for getting them and putting them on for you.

Next year (2025) I believe that all heck will break loose here in Texas because in their infinite wisdom our legislature decided to do away with the annual inspection tied to getting your car tags. Why?
So that the state patrol guys can pull you over for no damn reason and write a buttload of tickets for not keeping your car in good condition-- just like they do in Oklahoma.

Apparently, it gets around the 'have to have a good reason to pull you over' excuse. With all the weed coming over the border from other states that have legalized cannibis, with the 17 year olds putting super dark window treatments in so you can't see who is driving or what they are doing, illegal aliens being shuttled all over, etc. etc the Texas legislature decided to decouple the inspection process. Train the state troopers on 'instant car inspection' and soon it will start raining money.

At least, that is the supposition by us old farts sitting at home and not driving much.

I can say that if you are driving with an elderly man with a nasal canulla and oxygen tanks and wheelchair folded up in the back -- you don't tend to get pulled over much no matter what speed I'm doing.

JW

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Here (Texas) its an 'upsell' opportunity (you want fries with that?)

Like the battery commercials for your smoke alarm which start running on tv with the time change each spring and fall... You see the reminder, want to be safe, can't remember when you changed the batteries, so you buy new ones, never replace them cause you don't have a ladder to reach the smoke alarm, and do it again 6 months later.

Here, when you go in for an annual inspection, wiper blades are part of the inspection protocol; however, rarely do you get asked about it unless the shop is trying to get the 'upsell' for getting them and putting them on for you.

Next year (2025) I believe that all heck will break loose here in Texas because in their infinite wisdom our legislature decided to do away with the annual inspection tied to getting your car tags. Why?
So that the state patrol guys can pull you over for no damn reason and write a buttload of tickets for not keeping your car in good condition-- just like they do in Oklahoma.

Apparently, it gets around the 'have to have a good reason to pull you over' excuse. With all the weed coming over the border from other states that have legalized cannibis, with the 17 year olds putting super dark window treatments in so you can't see who is driving or what they are doing, illegal aliens being shuttled all over, etc. etc the Texas legislature decided to decouple the inspection process. Train the state troopers on 'instant car inspection' and soon it will start raining money.

At least, that is the supposition by us old farts sitting at home and not driving much.

I can say that if you are driving with an elderly man with a nasal canulla and oxygen tanks and wheelchair folded up in the back -- you don't tend to get pulled over much no matter what speed I'm doing.

JW
Thats weird. In NY, they don't need a good reason to pull you over. The cops here can pull you over just to check that you have a valid drivers license. You can be perfectly legal and not breaking the law and get stopped.

We have annual inspections. If anything on your car that is an inspection item breaks between inspections, like your rear window defroster, then the cops can write a ticket for that. Yes, we're required by law to have rear window defrosters on "1974 and newer models, except for convertibles, suburbans, omnibus, or a vehicle that has a rolldown rear window or a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member"

Lotta deja vu seeing this post again about windshield wipers

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Yes, we're required by law to have rear window defrosters on "1974 and newer models, except for convertibles, suburbans, omnibus, or a vehicle that has a rolldown rear window or a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member"
I find that impossible to believe. Not every car built from 1974 onward had a rear window defroster. I know of NO Dart/Valiant/Duster that had them, my 76 Camaro didn't, the numerous other Camaro and Firebirds didn't, no truck ever did either.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I find that impossible to believe. Not every car built from 1974 onward had a rear window defroster. I know of NO Dart/Valiant/Duster that had them, my 76 Camaro didn't, the numerous other Camaro and Firebirds didn't, no truck ever did either.
Ye of little faith, welcome to NY:
"10-b. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred seventy-three to operate on any public highway or street in this state, any passenger type motor vehicle except convertible, suburban and omnibus or other motor vehicle that has a roll-down rear window or a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member registered in this state, manufactured or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred seventy-four or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic behind such vehicle"

2022 New York Laws :: VAT - Vehicle and Traffic :: Title 3 - Safety Responsibility; Financial Security; Equipment; Inspection; Size and Weight; and Other Provisions :: Article 9 - Equipment of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles :: 375 - Equipment.

Article 9 Vehicle Traffic Law Equipment Vehicles Motorcycles.
Then they ratcheted it up:

10-c. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred
eighty-five to operate on any public highway or street in this state,
any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window or windows
located in a movable closure (door-like) member, except for a
multipurpose passenger vehicle (designed to carry ten persons or less
and constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for
occasional off-road operation) registered in this state and manufactured
or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred
eighty-six or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a
rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and
adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by
means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision
ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic
behind such vehicle.
10-d. It shall be unlawful after December thirty-first, nineteen
hundred ninety-two to operate on any public highway or street in this
state, any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window located
in a single movable closure (door-like) member and which has a
non-removeable top, registered in this state and manufactured or
assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred
ninety-three or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a
behind such vehicle.

Edit: I think if you start digging around, you'll find NY cars had them when other states didn't

LT512

Reaction score
I live in Alabama....we have zero car inspections. Just keep your lights working, a tag on the car, a working muffler and stay away from limo tint and in most cases you will be ok.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I live in Alabama....we have zero car inspections. Just keep your lights working, a tag on the car, a working muffler and stay away from limo tint and in most cases you will be ok.
'MURICA!!!!

That's how it should be

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Ye of little faith, welcome to NY:
"10-b. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred seventy-three to operate on any public highway or street in this state, any passenger type motor vehicle except convertible, suburban and omnibus or other motor vehicle that has a roll-down rear window or a rear window or windows located in a movable closure (door-like) member registered in this state, manufactured or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred seventy-four or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a rear window defogger or defroster, which shall be so located and adjusted that its operation will give the operator of such vehicle, by means of the mirror or other reflecting device required by subdivision ten of this section, a view of the road and the condition of traffic behind such vehicle"

2022 New York Laws :: VAT - Vehicle and Traffic :: Title 3 - Safety Responsibility; Financial Security; Equipment; Inspection; Size and Weight; and Other Provisions :: Article 9 - Equipment of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles :: 375 - Equipment.

Article 9 Vehicle Traffic Law Equipment Vehicles Motorcycles.
Then they ratcheted it up:

10-c. It shall be unlawful after June thirtieth, nineteen hundred
eighty-five to operate on any public highway or street in this state,
any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window or windows
located in a movable closure (door-like) member, except for a
multipurpose passenger vehicle (designed to carry ten persons or less
and constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for
occasional off-road operation) registered in this state and manufactured
or assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred
eighty-six or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a
behind such vehicle.
10-d. It shall be unlawful after December thirty-first, nineteen
hundred ninety-two to operate on any public highway or street in this
state, any passenger type motor vehicle that has a rear window located
in a single movable closure (door-like) member and which has a
non-removeable top, registered in this state and manufactured or
assembled after said date, and designated as a nineteen hundred
ninety-three or subsequent model unless such vehicle be equipped with a
behind such vehicle.

Edit: I think if you start digging around, you'll find NY cars had them when other states didn't
That was a lot to copy and paste.
Maybe since I'm on the other end of the country, our standards were different. I find it strange though that they could mandate something that may not have been available on some cars.
Have you seen a 74-76 Dart or Valiant with a rear window defroster?

69-

Reaction score
But doesn't the same go with e.g. emmissions? Could a non-cal emissions car be sold in california?
Same era, of course.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That was a lot to copy and paste.
Maybe since I'm on the other end of the country, our standards were different. I find it strange though that they could mandate something that may not have been available on some cars.
Have you seen a 74-76 Dart or Valiant with a rear window defroster?
Yes. And it was an option available even in the 60s. You can even find them used: Dodge Dart GTS W/S 2 Door Defrost Rear Window 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 | eBay

The defoggers exist too https://www.ebay.com/itm/266634668746?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
But doesn't the same go with e.g. emmissions? Could a non-cal emissions car be sold in california?
Same era, of course.
Exactly. We require rear defrost/defoggers and they require ridiculous emissions standards. Up to model year 95 is exempt in NY. I'd rather have the defrost requirement than emissions if given the choice

Kern Dog

Reaction score
I have never seen any A body with anything but a fan motor in the rear speaker deck. Never the one embedded in the glass that gets heated. I'm not far from Reno and Tahoe where they do get snow. Not every car that ends up here started here either.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah, you said that you've never seen one, you say it's impossible, but the fact remains that they exist, here's another one: Rarest A-Body Option?

and another Post in thread 'Duster Rear-Defroster/Defogger?' Duster Rear-Defroster/Defogger?

Looks like it was a lot more common 73 onwards, I'm assuming because of NY's requirements, but NY required a defroster or defogger, so maybe people opted for a defogger. Nothing metal survives here long in the rust belt though, so defrost cars are probably even more rare now than they were
81-005-7050-12.jpg81-005-7050-13.jpg
Original Sales Brochure for 1973 Duster - Scamp - Valiant

Kern Dog

Reaction score
I've seen those air blowing fans that fit where a 6 x 9 speaker usually does, sometimes even in between the speakers....to me that would be a "defogger" but we often have different terms for the same thing. I've seen those in B and C body cars. Here are the panels in 2 of my '70 Chargers:

Glass 14.jpg

JGY 18.JPG

I have never looked close enough at an F-M or J body model to form a memory of it.
Maybe I'm just forgetting OR maybe by the time I've come across these cars, they have been handled by numerous owners, all with their own creative input!
The California cars seemed to get smog pumps and other emission equipment before other states so it is quite possible that other states had requirements for new vehicles that other states did not. I recall stories of people having trouble registering the 1970 Plymouth SuperBird in Pennsylvania (Maybe other states too?) due to bumper laws. Federal law mandated full front bumpers on cars built before January 1st 1970 so all the SuperBirds had to be built before then....Individual states had other ideas.
I don't mind being proven wrong. It is a chance to set me straight and a chance to learn. I don't want to be the guy that blabs on and on telling BS "facts".

Kern Dog

Reaction score
A guy posted these pictures in a thread at FABO:

1709542332611.png

1709542350211.png

1709542384940.png

Come to think of it, I am starting to remember these switches under the dash...

1709542437928.png

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I've seen those air blowing fans that fit where a 6 x 9 speaker usually does, sometimes even in between the speakers....to me that would be a "defogger" but we often have different terms for the same thing. I've seen those in B and C body cars. Here are the panels in 2 of my '70 Chargers:

View attachment 52220

View attachment 52221

I have never looked close enough at an F-M or J body model to form a memory of it.
Maybe I'm just forgetting OR maybe by the time I've come across these cars, they have been handled by numerous owners, all with their own creative input!
The California cars seemed to get smog pumps and other emission equipment before other states so it is quite possible that other states had requirements for new vehicles that other states did not. I recall stories of people having trouble registering the 1970 Plymouth SuperBird in Pennsylvania (Maybe other states too?) due to bumper laws. Federal law mandated full front bumpers on cars built before January 1st 1970 so all the SuperBirds had to be built before then....Individual states had other ideas.
I don't mind being proven wrong. It is a chance to set me straight and a chance to learn. I don't want to be the guy that blabs on and on telling BS "facts".
Well I wouldn't know about it if I wasn't from NY and addicted to falling down rabbit holes. It's definitely an esoteric topic

Kern Dog

Reaction score
My topics on these forums are not the usual ones like:

*What is a good cam for my 440?
*What oil should I use?
*Why did Mopars have ballast resistors?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
My topics on these forums are not the usual ones like:

*What is a good cam for my 440?
*What oil should I use?
*Why did Mopars have ballast resistors?
"What oil should I use" threads should get an automatic reply: Whatever your owner's manual says.....

Then be locked for no further replies

GregG48213

Reaction score
fan motor in the rear speaker deck
My brother had a 1972 Duster (318 auto) with the factory rear window blower. He got the car in the mid 1980s. The blower didn't stay there very long; he upgraded the radio, including a pair of 6"x9" speakers.

Back