Ignition lock for tilt wheel

Reaction score
Are the key lock for ignition switches the same for tilt and non tilt? Also how hard is it to replace. Mine jammed up and I could not turn it off. Had to use rag to carb to stop engine. I did get it back and key out but it was very tight

Aspen500

Reaction score
The ignition switch or ignition lock? Either way, tilt and non-tilt are different. All are easily available.

To change the lock, my memory is fuzzy. Let me check the manual on that.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Do you have tilt or non tilt? The procedure for both is the same only different.

In either case, steering wheel, column lock plate and turn signal switch need to come off. On non tilt, remove 3 screws and the upper bearing housing. The push a tiny screw driver or paper clip in the hole in the lock housing to release the retaining tab, and pull the lock out.
It appears on tilt, insread of a hole there's a slot to stick a piece of flat stock to release the lock retainer. Got to be honest, the FSM is kind of vague on the lock removal procedure.

Deano

Reaction score
First is for a non-tilt wheel. The second is for a tilt wheel.

Once you get everything taken apart, you have to push a spring type lock on each cylinder to remove it. Pull old cylinder out, push new one in until it locks in place.

I watched a few videos before I tackled mine. Makes it easier when you actually watch someone else do it first as opposed to trying to make sense out of text and pics.

700511-1__73801.jpg

tilt.jpg

Last edited:
Back