Imperial EFI fuel economy

My imp

Reaction score
Ive been reading about the EFI fuel economy on the Imp.'s. everyone says they got around 30 mpg on the highway! Anyone still running the EFI? Are these claims legit? Or wishful thinking? I heard that even when they were set up right that the driveability sucked. They should've sorted it out before they released it to the public. Taking a page from GM's playbook. The Vega (check the gas & fill the oil please!) comes to mind. They don't have the deep pockets GM does. They always take the hit, GM has to kill plenty before anything gets recalled, if ever!

83Imp

Reaction score
Larry I read everything there was to read at the Imperial Online site from years past. The 81-83 Guru was a man (now deceased) named Dick Benjamin. He knew these things inside and out and wrote extensively about their problems and fixes. He owned several 81-83 cars. He states somewhere in his writings that he consistently got mid to high 20s on the highway in his stock FI cars.

I think even with the tall rear gears they have, as heavy as our cars are, 30 is a loooonnng stretch.

http://www.imperialclub.com/

My imp

Reaction score
I read that, plus some others. Other than D.B., (3) others stated 30+. In S. Fl. The road are flat as piss at sea level, & my wife should work for the car companies. She drives as slow & constant as a simulator, nothing flaps her behind the wheel. She could get 20 out of our 440/727 '66 Coronet! Every time I drove it, I was lucky to get 14! Of course I know how to use that go pedal! When we go to Va. Beach, I get a best of 24 in my Imp (have the receipts to prove it). The only thing that kills it is D.C. Traffic. I set the cruise 5-7 miles above posted speeds, & try to keep my hoof off the go pedal. With a modern, well tuned EFI & OD, whether std., or automatic, I feel those goals could easily be reached. I have enough Imp's in the fleet to build one like that, one for go, & one for show. Have the parts to do most, just need a garage & a few more parts.

83Imp

Reaction score
Hey Larry - I can't reply to your PM. The site says your mailbox is full. You need to delete some old PMs. Brad

Back