improving some things input needed

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
ive been thinking and looking and compareing my two 318s the one in the valiant is a stock 73 block 273 rockers i beleave and edel proformer intake 600edel 4barrel accel super coil round air cleaner.

aspen stock block edel intake 650 edel 4 barrel accel super stock coil stock air intake and air cleaner.

im wondering what makes the aspen seem so slow and less proformance im wondering if the air cleaner would help anything getting rid of the stock one. other obvious stuff would be better im just wondering if its possibly restricting.

super77se

Reaction score
it could be a combination of things, just to name a few

converter , slipping trans
rear gears
timing
carb mixture settings
weak spark
low compression
exhaust set-up

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
converter , slipping trans----trans seems solid no slipping convertor is prolly stock
rear gears-----it has a sure grip i need to do the turn the wheel test to find out what gears
timing-----me and my dad did the timing not to long ago maybe 6months its runs great idles great drives fin.
carb mixture settings-----ditto here aswell set and not to rich not to lean 21/2 turns out
weak spark-----have new auto lite 66 or 65's cant remember i went one more degree hotter spark then stock
low compression------maybe i havnt put the tester on her ever doesnt burn much oil either
exhaust set-up ------now how much power loss would i bee looking at with the stock exhaust

so a combination would be do exhaust and maybe change air cleaner needs to get that air out and maybe a opwn air cleaner would be able to take that air in.

also i still have i think the stock cat on it and could my exhaust be clogged cause thats what it feels like.

im driving in third and then slow down take a right or leaft it dosent shift down i wasnt going slow enough but it luggs in 3rd gear feels like a miss but it doesnt miss its something else more of a engine bog or rattle.

super77se

Reaction score
my duster has a 67 318 with stock internals. i have had a couple different carbs and air cleaner setups and the only carb that really made a difference over the 1406 was the holley 600. the eddy carbs are turds compared to the holleys in my years of messing with them. the different air filters never made a difference. it has headers and 2 1/4 pipe into two thrush welded mufflers which not only sound great, they made a huge difference. trans is a 67 727 with a factory 2000 ish converter and after adjusting the bands , the shifting improved considerably. where did you set your timing? that can make a huge difference all on its own. i also converted my ignition to HEI and ditched the ballast, factory coil and the EI box. a huge improvement in spark delivery. i am using a 2176 eddy performer on the 318 with the 1406 and a weiand action plus 8007 on my 360 with the holley 600 , both are great intakes. the 360 loves 34* @ 2500 rpm of timing at full advance.

i would also make sure your TP(kickdown) is set up properly . Throttle Pressure is every thing for the transmission.

d424.jpg

d379.jpg

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I just experienced this too. I noticed for a while a loss of torque. I blamed the car sitting for the duration of body and paint work. I do have a slight trans leak. My trans cable from the carb is very questionable. Adjusting the bands- huh? So, I got some definite unknowns and knowns with the trans. I tried to power brake the junk tires in the street - and nothing. The trans would not load the torque. I'll be attacking the band adjustment and the cable too over the next few weeks. as for the leak- not too sure where it is, but it is. A fluid change is due for both the engine and trans. Some new Vavoline ATF4 and Valvoline 10/30 conventional.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
well certinly a fluid change and band adjustment would prolly help. i have tried the same thing billy said gave the beast some rpms at a dead spot take off no sqeelch nothing release the brake and it tries to stumble and then gets a boost an takes off like it would normal.

as for carbs both my cars have edels nvr had a problem i was just wondering if maybe i would have better throttle response with a open air cleaner in stead of the poriginal houseing .

jasperjacko

Reaction score
fwiw, modoba has great response with the thermoquad. Make sure your timing is right, and that you have a good steady squirt from the accel. pump, no dead spots or breaks in the stream.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
we set the timing to a stock 77 318 great gas response pedal is stiff compared to the valiant. there are some rubber hoses ive been qeustioning for awhile there smaller then the 3/8 prolly 5/16 i can see it oaround the pass side tire in the wheel well

Back