It's coming together slowly

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok, I have managed to locate a 3.21:1 8.25” out of a 1976 Plymouth Volare RT 360. I was going to buy one off Jim’s AZ parts but because I was side tracked and took my time I end up missing out, my fault :(

Ok to start out I always try to think what the car is going to be - The car is not a race car, I just want it to perform how it should of performed the day it left the factory. Most of my driving will be in the city with the odd burst on the motor way. I am not looking for a 400hp monster, more like 250hp just want a nice purring 318 with a small bark to it!

This is all my parts I have got together so far and was just after some advice if there is anything else I could do to make it better, you guys are really good and many have been down the same road as I and have probably found out things along the way. I have some remanufactured XXX714 heads (same as the XXX302 heads) I have an aftermarket distributor with adjustable advance and an orange module. A Summit-6900 camshaft, Edelbrock performer intake and a new Holley 600cfm carb with electric choke. I am considering buying the summit m body long headers, is there any other tips and tricks anyone can think of I could add along the way?

What I have also bought for the car is heavy feel steering gear, Firmfeel top A arms, new bottom arm bushes, Firmfeel aluminum body mounts and new torsion bar bushes. To help with cornering I have a set of addco performance anti sway bars all this will be sitting on my 215 x 60 x 17 wheels.

Any one done something similar and what did the car go like?

Now the long wait to it all gets to NZ on the slow boat :)

Many Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz:

Does the Holley 600 cfm carb have vacuum secondaries? Important that it does.

If you go with headers, which is a very good idea, the starter may need to be changed to a mini or gear reduction starter (physically smaller).

A dual exhaust, all the way back (or to the side, but full length in either case) and quiet but low restriction mufflers helps any car. Your local exhaust/muffler shop will know what to do.

Have you looked at brakes, and maybe some improvements there? As in larger diameter rotors (with 17" wheels, you should have plenty of clearance), as well as higher performance brake pads? If it goes better, you need to stop better.

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have never swapped a rear end before, had them out and put new springs in but never played with the ratios, what kind of performance does going from a 2.2 to a 3.21 make? I don't want to get over excited! Maybe it will be able to spin a tire :)

My friend has an A body and the Crodoba is the same size as that, except mine is a bit heavier, I can only think because of the big comfy seats add weight.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'd think you'll notice a large difference.
I've been told that swapping my 2.2 gears up to 2.9 would give it a kick in the pants let alone going to 3.2.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm no expert.....yet....lol.
I THINK availability of ordering whatever ratio you want has to do with rear end size.
Meaning you can do it with an 8 1/4 but not a 7 1/4.

Again I'm no expert.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Your engine combo is very similar to mine..only, I have mag heads. I also have the summit 600 carb, but holley makes it for them. I don't have headers on it yet, but hope to eventually. Aside from it needing dialed in, it runs very well..better than even my AHB engine which was surprisingly pretty good. First car I could ever do a burnout in reverse..lol. My Olds with a 350 couldn't do that.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Your engine combo is very similar to mine..only, I have mag heads. I also have the summit 600 carb, but holley makes it for them. I don't have headers on it yet, but hope to eventually. Aside from it needing dialed in, it runs very well..better than even my AHB engine which was surprisingly pretty good. First car I could ever do a burnout in reverse..lol. My Olds with a 350 couldn't do that.

The XXX302 casting heads were the next step below mag heads, I think similar chambers but mag heads can flow better, you runing a 3.21 rear end and sum 6900 cam?

Bruceynz

Reaction score

So you noticed a big improvement over stock with your set up?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I definately have noticed a healthier engine. Haven't gotten it timed right yet, and still fine tuning..but it already feels better. This combo, with my 2.94 rear is estimated at 14 flat to high 13.9..but, won't know for sure till I get to run it.

I do have the 6900 cam, factory manifolds, and catless true dual exhaust.

brotherGood

Reaction score
When you plan on a run?

At this point, I'm not sure. Local tune and test is on Thursday evening..I don't get off until 6. Been tempted to ask a buddy of mine to run it for me..but what's the fun in that. Granted, I could let dad run, since he's put a lot of time and effort into this thing too

80mirada

Reaction score
3.21s are rare after 1979, they usually came in a 8.25 with limited slip for cars. 2.94 became the common "performance" ratio after that. Those gears will really liven the performance up in a J-body

Bruceynz

Reaction score
3.21s are rare after 1979, they usually came in a 8.25 with limited slip for cars. 2.94 became the common "performance" ratio after that. Those gears will really liven the performance up in a J-body

Especially with my XXX714 closed chamber heads, sum 6900 cam, new dizzy, headers, performer 4 bbl intake and holley 600cfm carb. Diff came out of a 1976 Plymouth Volare Road Runner, hoping for around 230-240hp

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've stared at that page probably a hundred times by now..if I had 302s, I would've probably followed that to a T. The estimated 1/4 time, I got from a buddy of mine..who had this same engine combo, but smaller tires and 2.7 gear, and raced his often. He estimated with my bigger tires and 2.9s, that's where I'd be. Ultimately, the 318 was built to have some fun while I searched and built a 360. Granted, now that I've got the 360, it's gonna wait. Interior/body is next. Still both get a chance to meet jasperjacko and pick up the K frame..just can't ever get the time or the truck to go get it. Then I'll build that on the bench, and then worry about the drivetrain. With access to a lift, I'll hopefully just be able to drop the whole driveline and replace it at once, with the new k frame.

Back