Just minor changes

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Hi all .. any info would be great and I've done searches without answers.
How much of the dash needs to be removed to get to the front speaker? .. I've taken the center bezel and radio out without getting near it and reaching from the bottom looks just as bad and I don't bend like I used to. Also would a 6x9 speaker fit in there? All that work would be for nothing if it doesn't. I put 1 in the back with a speaker box to hide the hack job previous owner did and it sounds good, but the front crackles with volume
The other musing I have is what 15" (14" are on now) rims from other Chrysler cars would fit this Volare .. not that I'm ready for new rubber but it never hurts to check the boneyards out. .. I can''t afford new.
Thanks in advance
1980 Volare coupe

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'll check my manual but i think you need to pull the dash pad and maybe the glove box. The dash speaker is a 4x10. There's new full range versions available. I have the site bookmarked somewhere. Not if a 6x9 will go without some mods. As far as rims go.... I have a set of stock Chrysler 15's on my 80 Volare and they fit just fine. They came off my Fifth Ave.

I'll dig out my manual and post a pic of the dash/speaker setup.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The manual says to just remove the pad and cowl to get to the speaker. Looks to be top mounted which makes it easier.
20151114_131312-1-1.jpg

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
I really like the way 15's fill the wheel well .. looks like the cowl comes out in 1 piece? .. thought 2 pieces when I was there .. I guess I was doing it right, just didn't go through with it. Thanks Captain .. much clearer than the Haynes with multiple models. btw that's a sweet ride you got.
Dr. .. called the number and he has 3 sets .. and the ad is 2 weeks old already .. hope he still has some 1st of next month when I get another infusion of cash. lol

I was surprised at how quick the responses are .. thanks all

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Parts in Ontario, I'm usually in the know.
I know the Kijiji ad wasn't the freshest, but it was in your area and shipping wheels gets pricey.
That's why I dug up the ad when I saw your post.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Parts in Ontario, I'm usually in the know.
I know the Kijiji ad wasn't the freshest, but it was in your area and shipping wheels gets pricey.
That's why I dug up the ad when I saw your post.
Oh no ! Dr. I meant no harm .. I appreciate your post .. I just meant that it doesn't look like they're selling anytime soon and I'm hoping they're still there when I have cash.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
No offence at all.
If you would have posted the wheel Q a couple weeks ago, I could have steered you to yet another Kijiji ad for wheels and the one I gave you.
Had a friend who got a set of Mirada wheels out of Spencerville last weekend that was a old ad.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you haven't gotten it apart already, it's just the bolts above the cluster, a couple above the glove box and the 2 in each defroster vent and the top slides right out.

Some engineer screwed up and made it come apart WAY too easy! lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you haven't gotten it apart already, it's just the bolts above the cluster, a couple above the glove box and the 2 in each defroster vent and the top slides right out.

Some engineer screwed up and made it come apart WAY too easy! lol

They'd never allow that now.

80mirada

Reaction score
Any stock Chrysler 15" 5 lug wheel with a few minor exceptions will fit. Most D100/150 4x2 until 1985 and B100/150/200/250 vans until 1985 have 5 on 4.5" bolt circles. AMC/Jeep and Ford all used the same bolt pattern, but used a larger bub register (hub centric rings are available to make them fit better)

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Well guys .. I don't know how to say this .. I feel violated .. I wasn't the 1st getting into the Volare ?? and what a mess to straighten out ... mismatched bolts and screws grrrr... I got everything back to 5/16 and proper screws .. the next time will be easier
DSCF3490.JPG

what's that grd. screw for ??

DSCF3491.JPG

hacked
DSCF3495.JPG

obligatory spare parts pic. ...lol

I deleted the front rattler of a speaker and will just keep the rear speaker box .. also tho it looked stock the radio may not be .. might upgrade to a digital tuner .. in the future ... enough for now

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
I may have to move on the 15"s and if I can recoup the money with my rims all the better .. what would be fair for mine ? I'm not out to gouge anyone. Was thinking of 215/65/15 T/A's of course.

Back