Ken block's gymkhana seven: Wild in the streets of los angeles

kkritsilas

Reaction score
So, basically, a drift exhibition on the city streets of Los Angeles. Nice, but essentially pointless exhibition of driving skills.

Must be my old school mindset at work here. I never got the point of drifting exhibitions/events/races. They get "style points" as well as racing. So the person getting to the finish line can actually not end up winning. I understand that it shows the driver's ability to control the car, I get that. But "style points"? What is this, figure skating? The other points wasted on drifters is that:

a) race car drivers are in full control of their race cars, and in many cases, can control their cars at least as well as the drifters, if not better, and they can do it in traffic, at very high speeds (ie. NASCAR, Indy, Rolex/Lemans Type sports cars) and in some very complex road courses with a variety of curves and elevation changes (Formula 1, Indy car) and in some cases, for hours on end (Rolex/Lemans Type sports cars).

b) Drifting is not the fastest way around a race track. If it was, professional racers would be drifting cars around all the time, and with rare exception, they don't.

Kostas

Back