Last of the LA 360s is it worth it?

slant6billy

Reaction score
I found a 1992 Non Magnum 360. Without looking too close I know this; it is a throttle body injection engine with a smog pump. It has the bigger exhaust manifolds, again, non magnum type.

So, obviously this is out of a truck, so it will need a car oil pan and oil pickup tube. The throttle body has to hit the trash, so a decent intake manifold and carb is needed. I'm thinking a Weiand action plus and Edelbrock thunder carb.

Is the distributor on a late LA with throttle body injection a vacuum advance type or do I need to ad a decent MP dizzy to the shopping list?

I've been wanting one of these pre magnum roller cam LA 360s for years. From what I've read, they were at the peak of perfection, then Dodge went to the magnum line. the 318 went magnum by 92 and then the 360 by 94. The 3.9 V6 was already a magnum by 91/92
LA roller cam.jpg

Any thoughts on this per magnum 360/ roller cam motor?

LA roller cam.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
What about balancing? Would a torqueconverter from a 318 work on the 360? I thought 360's being internally balanced, don't matter? but going from a 360 to a 318 expect balancing issues or a new torqueconverter? Or do I have that backwards?

Gator

Reaction score
I think the 318 is internally balanced and the 360 is externally balanced

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've got one out of an 89 lined up. Already planning on distributor, intake, carb, pan, and addressing the balancing issue.

As far as the distributor..youre looking for a vacuum advance...same is it would be when eliminating the lean burn in our f/m/js.

I'm not sure what lll be doing with mine once I get it. I've got a goal As far as how fast I'll need to go..but what path I take to get there..that's what I need to figure out.

slant6billy

Reaction score
318LA and 318 Magnums are internal balanced
360LA and 360 Magnums are external balance but cannot interchange the flexplates or harmonic balancers. Check out www.magnumswap.com

So, I do need to keep the flex plate on this LA 360. I am looking to see if I can have all the front stuff like brackets, pumps, AC compressor, and Harmonic balancer. I have to negotiate that with the sale

MBDale

Reaction score
I think B+M make a flex plate that makes the 360 a neutral balance I belive. Then run a neutral balance torque converter. I've got a'71 block. It's going in place of 318 in a '79 Aspen RT. Hopefully more pictures tomorrow night.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Don't be so fast to get rid of that fuel injection setup. With the lower quality fuels, and higher ethanol levels, that fuel injection unit will give you a fighting chance to stay in the drivability game. So grab the computer, and its wire harness when you grab the motor. 360 fuel injection set up's are not easy to find. Sure you can take it off, if that tickles your fancy, but this way you will have it on the shelf for later.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I would really like to see someone get one of those factory FI units transplanted and working in a M body...

80mirada

Reaction score
Mopar had a retro fit controller for Magnum crate engines, and Hotwire can make harnesses and program controllers for stock magnums. the TBI controllers are crap, and don't like mods. If someone wanted to go TBI they are better off with aftermarket units, they are easier to tune amd upgrade. Mega squirt is an option, and can control a stock TBI, but then you are limited on what it can handle.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the cost comparison would be between the Mopar retro-fit controller, or the Hotwire harness & reprogrammed computer vs, third party EFI solutions (FAST, Holley, QuickFuel, etc.). From a straight dollar perspective, it would look like the Mopar/Hotwire would be cheaper, but reprogramming for modifications would be more difficult. Hard to say which would be better. Any of the EFI systems, when used in our cars, need to have fuel system changes (to get the higher fuel line pressures expected by EFI injectors), so that would be a wash.

I did participate in an EFI install (EZ-EFI by FAST) on a Chevy 350 in a '51 Mercury. The install went quite well, took about a day, most of which was getting the fuel system prepped (pump, pre and post filters, feed and return lines, and regulator), and the O2 bung into the exhaust pipe. The electrical hook up wasn't bad at all, and getting an initial tune in was pretty easy. System tends to run rich (safer I guess), but it can be leaned out easily with the hand held controller. Pretty easy to set things like idle speed, A/F targets for idle, cruise, and acceleration. System has been superceded, even within the FAST line up, and some of the more advanced systems, like the Quickfuel QFI, can handle ignition as well as fuel.

slant6billy

Reaction score
So much of the harness is there, but cut. No PCM, but I did get the overdrive 46RH 518 with the OD signal plug attached. I have the bookmark from FABO on that retro setup. I really want to Carb this badboy. I have a dollar amount in mind and a horsepower goal in mind. Where I want to make power- LOW END. Edelbrock Thunder AVS carb, retro roller cam, and the some other low dollar tricks. I will take care with removal of the TBI & Manifold as well and topside parts and brackets. Let me know if you need the smog pump or anything that is in the picture. I'm keeping the Alternator, but the AC pump is working and up for grabs as well the TBI stuff

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'm really interested in this. I've got a free 360 out of an 89 lined up..just gotta get the guy down here to dig it out. I'd love OD, so I can run crazy gears for the strip, and still drive it an hour home and not be driven crazy. I'd considered using a magnum, or at least the top end..but I'm not sure.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Even the worst TBI is still better than the best Carb ;)

I don't know that I'd agree with that. Better is pretty subjective, better drive ability, more power, better mileage, more reliable? I started learning engines back when fuel injected was still a marketing buzz phrase, right along with 4 wheel disc brakes! Bucket seats! Automatic transmission! Power locks! Air conditioning! Nowadays all this standard equipment, but to the old guys who worked the land salt of the earth types, these were all considered fads. People have lost touch with how things work.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
People are afraid to get their hands dirty anymore, everything is everyone else's problem, until it's theirs, then they magically are the only one in the world who has ever been through what they're going through.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
That said I do like tbi, it's a good compromise, it has the soul of a wet intake, with the reliability and efficiency of fuel injection. A bit limited power wise though compared to both carbs, and later dry intake, multi injector setups.

gtsdude

Reaction score
http://fitechefi.com/

I have been reading about this set up, seems to be pretty easy install, pretty slick they way they do the fuel pump setup, no fancy in tank pump using their setup.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd agree with that. Better is pretty subjective, better drive ability, more power, better mileage, more reliable? People have lost touch with how things work.

Better in most of those cases yes. Carb may be able to deliver better maximum HP numbers and that is pretty cool for the strip, but more consistent numbers across the board is where it really counts.

I daily a car with none of the fads you mention.. ;) Not even power steering.

Back